LED Flasher Relay - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Appearance > Exterior

Exterior Exterior

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:45 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Silver Green Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
LED Flasher Relay

Hey guys, I'm new to this site but was a member of an Explorer Forum for about 3 years so I am familiar with how these work. The Explorer was sent to the junker for the cash for clunkers program and I was awarded with my mom's 2004 Envoy.

I have already converted the front low beams and fog lights to HID (6000k lows and 5000k fogs). I have done a full interior LED conversion and changed out the bulbs in the reverse lights and license plate lights to LED. I am looking to take the next step with blinker bulbs and brake bulbs.

I am familiar with doing LED taillight bulbs because I changed them out on my old Explorer and used load resistors to get them to flash normally. I wanted to find an easier fix for this though rather than tapping into a bunch of wires.

I have taken some pics of the blinker relay. It is a GM 12450284 relay that is used on most GM trucks. It operates the blinkers on the truck and for the trailer lights (when using). I've included pics of where the relay is located and how to remove it. Use a flathead screwdriver to push the small tab down and slide the clips to the larger holes. It should slide out the whole thing. Then push back the grey clip to loosen the hold on the relay. You may need to use a flathead to pry out the relay too. Be careful not to damage it. Here are the pics and now for the good news.

I have found a solution to the relay. I have found a product online called named GM LM455. It is the same 10 pin relay except with the right load for LED bulbs or a mixture of LED and incandescent bulbs. I am ordering one and will see what the outcome is. Here is a pic.

New Relay:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2009, 08:51 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Dark Gray Metallic 5.3L V8 2WD
awesome man! hope it works out! definitely keep us posted!!
Old 08-29-2009, 08:59 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Wow, already a sticky. I guess this has been a question for everyone for a while. I will definitely update once everything is in.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:17 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
i love LED
Old 09-14-2009, 08:50 PM

2009 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Black Granite Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
I got the LM 487 (Napa) and it works perfectly for all my LEDs EXCEPT the tail running lights (the ones that come on at night). I don't know why, but everything works fine, including cruise control and the brake lights, but the tails just don't come one when the headlights do. Are you having the same problem?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:10 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Mine just came in the mail today and I have to say I'm disappointed.

It clearly says "LED" on the front, but I still have a hyperflash issue. I pulled the relay apart and compared it to the OEM relay and they have almost identical inside parts except one piece (which I don't believe makes a difference but I could be wrong).

Clearly says LED but definitely no improvements with the flasher. A little upset.

How much was the LM 487 and where was it purchased? Do you have LEDs at all corners?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:13 PM

I got the LM487 from Napa and they charged about $75. They didn't have it in store but they got it there in about 5 hours, good customer service. I have LEDs everywhere except the main front turn signals (lost them somewhere).
Old 09-14-2009, 09:15 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by barelybenjamin View Post
I got the LM487 from Napa and they charged about $75. They didn't have it in store but they got it there in about 5 hours, good customer service. I have LEDs everywhere except the main front turn signals (lost them somewhere).
Alright because my new relay says LED on the front and has hyperflash, but I do have LEDs in the front and the back. I just wonder if that's why I'm having the problem.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:20 PM

Here's a link to Napa's online catalog for your '04 Envoy that describes the LM455 as "w/o LEDs" and the LM487 as "w/ LEDs". I think whoever sold you that LM455 got you good.

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...11&SubCatId=10
Old 09-14-2009, 09:44 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by barelybenjamin View Post
Here's a link to Napa's online catalog for your '04 Envoy that describes the LM455 as "w/o LEDs" and the LM487 as "w/ LEDs". I think whoever sold you that LM455 got you good.

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...11&SubCatId=10
Thanks for the help man. After doing a bit of research I found the LM487, then I came back here and saw you had the same reply. I'll be taking a trip out tomorrow to a NAPA to get the flasher I need. Thanks a bunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in