LED Flasher Relay - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Appearance > Exterior

Exterior Exterior

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:50 PM

2009 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Black Granite Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
No problem, man. I'm still having the problems with the tail lights. If you have the same problem after you get the 487, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2009, 10:16 AM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Silver Green Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
It is confirmed. The LED flasher relay is the LM487 from either Napa Auto Parts or from LEDlight.com (http://www.ledlight.com/electronic-l...her-lm487.aspx).

I just put it in and had a nice drive so I tested out cruise control, which has gotten criticism for not working with this flasher. Functioned fine and the flash is finally normal as well. I believe this flasher is electronic and I was worried about it not clicking with my turn signals but it still clicks a relay, which is good.

If you have LED signals and don't want to get a million load resistors, this is the easiest fix.

Benjamin, I haven't ridden with the relay at night yet but I will let you know if I have any issues.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:16 PM

2009 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Black Granite Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigapple View Post
It is confirmed. The LED flasher relay is the LM487 from either Napa Auto Parts or from LEDlight.com (http://www.ledlight.com/electronic-l...her-lm487.aspx).

I just put it in and had a nice drive so I tested out cruise control, which has gotten criticism for not working with this flasher. Functioned fine and the flash is finally normal as well. I believe this flasher is electronic and I was worried about it not clicking with my turn signals but it still clicks a relay, which is good.

If you have LED signals and don't want to get a million load resistors, this is the easiest fix.

Benjamin, I haven't ridden with the relay at night yet but I will let you know if I have any issues.
So what's happening is my RR park (#17) and LR park (#14) fuses are blowing when my lights turn on, disabling the parking lights. Tried with and without resistors. Are you having the same prob?

For now I'm just going to put my old filament bulbs back into the park/brake sockets so I don't get pulled over for no parking lights or license lights.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:34 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by barelybenjamin View Post
So what's happening is my RR park (#17) and LR park (#14) fuses are blowing when my lights turn on, disabling the parking lights. Tried with and without resistors. Are you having the same prob?

For now I'm just going to put my old filament bulbs back into the park/brake sockets so I don't get pulled over for no parking lights or license lights.
Well I didn't realize the orientation of polarity with the new LED wedge bulbs when I put them in. I managed to blow all 3 fuses, which include BRAKE (#34) RR park and LR park. I didn't realize that in doing this, the fuses that control the license plate lights would also be blown since they are in the same circuit as those park lights. Then after getting the orientation of the bulbs correct, I was able to only get the brake lights to work but I had quad brake lights too and this was ridiculously confusing.

I opened up and realized when the park lights came on I had a ground directly connected to positive, which is the reason fuses are there, to prevent overload of a circuit and a potential fire. I am going to solder up my own connections in the circuit board and post pictures up soon. Maybe it'll shed some light on your problem.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:44 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by barelybenjamin View Post

Well I'm using my original OEM wedge bulbs right now but it's only because I didn't realize the polarity of the LED bulb when I installed it, which is why I managed to blow out every fuse and almost rip my hair out.

I am soon going to show a tutorial thread and show how I'm going to orient the polarity. It should be interesting.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:41 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Polo Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigapple View Post
Well I'm using my original OEM wedge bulbs right now but it's only because I didn't realize the polarity of the LED bulb when I installed it, which is why I managed to blow out every fuse and almost rip my hair out.

I am soon going to show a tutorial thread and show how I'm going to orient the polarity. It should be interesting.
I have a SLT also. I have 4 RED, 4 AMBER 27 SMD #3157 bulbs and 2 AMBER #194 bulbs on the way to replace all of my running, brake, and turn/flasher bulbs.
Polarity issues aside does the LM487 work as advertised in all modes without modifications?
Old 09-19-2009, 12:55 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
I have a SLT also. I have 4 RED, 4 AMBER 27 SMD #3157 bulbs and 2 AMBER #194 bulbs on the way to replace all of my running, brake, and turn/flasher bulbs.
Polarity issues aside does the LM487 work as advertised in all modes without modifications?
Surely works for me. I read about it in a Trailblazer SS forum and some were having issues with cruise control not working since the relay runs on lower current.

I haven't had any issues at all with it though. All of the polarity issues I had were from the type of LED bulb I bought, not the relay itself. Everything still works great and its got a normal flash. It's a direct plug-in. Just read the beginning of this thread to see how to remove the relay, then get the new LM487 and pop that baby in.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:12 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT
Scratchy Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Would you have to convert every turn bulb to LED?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:23 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAY03LT View Post
Would you have to convert every turn bulb to LED?
No not every bulb. It might even work with incandescent bulbs. I know a mixture is fine because I'm pretty sure it's electronic, so it doesn't rely on the load of the bulbs.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:00 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT
Scratchy Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Cool man, I've been hesitant to do it because DE is strict on lights (like flashing fast), thanks for the info and the how to

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in