[SOLVED] How I fixed Sunroof & Overhead water leaks (NOT a plugged drain tube). - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Appearance > Exterior

Exterior Exterior

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:43 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLE
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug42 View Post
Thanks for that info as it is exactly what happened to my 02 Envoy. The water is finding its way into the overhead control panel and dripping onto the rear view mirror. Thanks to your pictures I could trace the dampness back to the source and now have to get some of that good black silicone sealer.
Glad it worked for you too. I almost sold the truck, just due to the water leaks (I had three different leak paths.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug42 View Post
Living out here here on The Wet Coast, a sealed auto is essential!!
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 01:31 PM

2004 Buick Rainier
Black 4.2L I6 AWD
buick started leaking pretty bad!! i'm gonna check this thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 11:14 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLE
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I hope it helps. I fixed five different leak paths on my truck.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:52 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Headliner leak--no luck with recommendations

Thank you for the excellent post and discussion! Unfortunately, I have yet to isolate the root cause of my leak. As you will see from the pictures, the sunroof area on my truck is leakproof and I have opened it after a good rain and checked all rail areas...all dry. The pictures will show where my leaks originate, and also where I suspect the intrusion is coming from. Also note that the drips occur after the vehicle has been sitting on a level surface after rather substantial rain (we get a bit of it here in Germany). Also note that this problem did not occur until approximately 12 months ago (even in the torrential rains of Florida).

Any help is appreciated!

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1148[1].jpg‎
Views:	2913
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	14447   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1149[1].jpg‎
Views:	2860
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	14448   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1151[1].jpg‎
Views:	2855
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	14449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1152[1].jpg‎
Views:	2959
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	14450  
Old 11-15-2010, 09:26 PM

2004 Buick Rainier
Black 4.2L I6 AWD
ok so checked the tubes they are clear, then siliconed exactly like you did,went one step further and lubed the weather stripping around the glass with silicone spray, now we wait for rain!!! and hope it stays dry!!!! will keep you posted!!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:44 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLE
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstr2u View Post
Thank you for the excellent post and discussion! Unfortunately, I have yet to isolate the root cause of my leak. As you will see from the pictures, the sunroof area on my truck is leakproof and I have opened it after a good rain and checked all rail areas...all dry. The pictures will show where my leaks originate, and also where I suspect the intrusion is coming from. Also note that the drips occur after the vehicle has been sitting on a level surface after rather substantial rain (we get a bit of it here in Germany). Also note that this problem did not occur until approximately 12 months ago (even in the torrential rains of Florida).

Any help is appreciated!

Rick
The best method to find a leak is to take the headliner corner where the leak is coming from down, and keep it down (you can use zip ties to hold in place) and wait for the rain. I had no trouble with the headliner assembly, but other members have had a rough time re-attaching the sun visor support. There are many threads on that. I believe I posted some pics on that in at least one thread out there. You can use a water hose instead of waiting for the rain.

My truck is the poster child for water leaks. The leak path I show in post 1 of this thread was not the only leak path I found on my truck. I also had a leak from where you suspect yours is coming from - under the top corner of the driver's side of the windshield. Mine, however, happened shortly after I had the windshield replaced. This leak path will cause water to puddle under the A Pillar’s plastic trim piece. The back of the trim piece has ribs, and the water will collect on it. This leak on mine never made it to the carpet of the truck. The water was not much and it would stay on the A pillar trim piece ribs until it dried. This possible leak path however will not explain the water dripping from the tiny hole in the sunvisor support on your truck (your pic #4), since your leak happens while the truck is parked on level ground, and even the highest point on the wind shield is still lower than the visor support, and the headliner at the front edge curves down. Gravity would rule out your suspect leak path as the culprit. For my truck, I removed the molding on the side of the winsdshield – The one that goes up and down on one side of the truck, not the one that goes across from the driver to the passenger side. The vertical one is screwed on. If you carefully move the weatherstrip out of the way, you should see the screws. I ran silicone on the top corner of the windshield (between glass and sheet metal) and that leak path to the A Pillar was fixed. It’s easy to remove the A Pillar trim to check for water on the ribs. The piece is only held on with clips. You can start from the top side and carefully pull it away with your hand – don’t use a lot of force.

My next guess would be the roof rail screws, specially the front one or two on the side your visor mount is dripping. Remove the screw and see if the screws are rusted at the tip. There are 6 screws holding each rail down to the roof, and thanks to a ‘brilliant’ design direction approved by GM, the holes in the sheet metal for the screws go all the way through, or atleast they do on 2002MY. You can take a screw out and look right down at the headliner. Atleast two of my screws were rusted all the way through to the tip. In my case, they were the rear ones, and the rear end of my truck also leaked water. So, all of my 12 roof rail screws now have white plumping tape on them, a tiny dab of silicone on the threads over the plumping tape, and generous amounts of black silicone covering the entire exposed screw head areas.

Another leak I found - and this is the one I am yet to forgive GM for putting me through – I discovered after I thought my work on roof rail screws was enough and I still had a leak that appeared to be coming from the rail screw openings – the rear right one in my case. So, I took the rails off, used masking tape to cover the screw holes, had the rear half of the headliner hanging down, and waited for the rain – this was during a rainy season in Detroit, I only waited less than 24 hours for Mother Nature. I laid down in my truck in the rain with the headliner pulled down and gazed in awe and endless amusement as the drips came down roughly 10 seconds apart from the dimple caused by an aggressive spot weld between the quarter panel and roof sheet metals. I have to admit I laid there for about 10 minutes staring at the drips, as I pondered the whole chain of events that led me to purchase a GM product to begin with. It’s one thing for gummy seal to wear around a sunroof rail or even for an engineer to sign off on open ended screw holes on the roof, but how do you screw up a spot welds? How many years now have the auto industry been spot welding? So long story short, I used more silicone on the bad weld spot in the trough area under the roof rail. You can see what I mean in the two graphics attached.

Oh and I had another leak from around the third brake light – chimzel? Is that what they are called? So I have silicone around and in the top gap between the light and plastic trim piece it goes in.

All in all, I used about 5 oz. worth of silicone on this truck to cover up leak paths. But hey, not a drip for more than a year now, so at least this story had a happy ending.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2010, 07:18 PM

2004 Buick Rainier
Black 4.2L I6 AWD
gee maybe you could get a job as a gm leak tester!! LOL!! but seriously great job on the leak detection, been raining here for 2 days now and pretty heavy and so far no leaks fingers crossed!!!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:10 PM

2004 Buick Rainier
Black 4.2L I6 AWD
well that didnt fix it off the the rear i go!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:06 PM

2004 Buick Rainier
Black 4.2L I6 AWD
well did the roof rack thing too found evidence of water under the rails so cleaned it up siliconed all the fasteners in the roof and applied new tread sealant to the bolts here's to hoping!!!
Old 12-04-2011, 12:46 AM
No longer with us

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS Hybrid Edition
Light Tarnished Silver 4.2L I6 4X4

CLICK ON ME
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in