Car shifter is in park but cluster says its in neutral - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Transmission Mods

Transmission Mods Performance Transmission Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Lurking Newbie

My 1990 dakota says its in 2nd gear but it's actually in drive ....everything works fine but the cluster doesn't match up with what gear it's in..it's like it got offset somehow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019, 09:06 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Dark Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jngcards123 View Post
fixed the problem thanks for the replies, looked under car and shifter cable was just hanging, clicked back to park and put shifter cable back on.
thanks again
Thank you so much for this! You've saved my night. I would not have thought to look under the car, or known what I was looking at if I did. Now I can see my daughter's play instead of calling a tow truck and wondering how we were getting home (this happened while I was stopped outside the theater, dropping my daughter off)!

Now, next question: What went wrong here? Surely something's meant to hold this "cable" on, so it doesn't fall off randomly!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:00 AM

2008 GMC Envoy SLE
Bordeaux Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calion View Post
Thank you so much for this! You've saved my night. I would not have thought to look under the car, or known what I was looking at if I did. Now I can see my daughter's play instead of calling a tow truck and wondering how we were getting home (this happened while I was stopped outside the theater, dropping my daughter off)!

Now, next question: What went wrong here? Surely something's meant to hold this "cable" on, so it doesn't fall off randomly!

hi, sorry to hear what happened, but it could have been worse.

your shift linkage bushing has failed.

replace it with this DORMAN 14055 Shift Linkage Bushing or similar.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:58 AM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
And for the next person who comes along 5 years from now, some people say the clear ones 14055 might work on the transmission end of a 2003. The next year they went with a more reliable connection and you need the orange pair in set 14057. 14057 contains parts for both ends of the cable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyOxqQ2_0xY
Old 02-03-2019, 12:40 PM

Old thread but still a great resource for issues.

I saved this link some time ago in case...
An alternate source for a fix

https://www.bushingfix.com/chevrolet...ushing-repair/
Old 02-03-2019, 01:54 PM

2008 GMC Envoy SLE
Bordeaux Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB-Al View Post
And for the next person who comes along 5 years from now, some people say the clear ones 14055 might work on the transmission end of a 2003. The next year they went with a more reliable connection and you need the orange pair in set 14057. 14057 contains parts for both ends of the cable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyOxqQ2_0xY
good info, as was not aware they even changed the linkage.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:34 AM

Man, that was a royal pain to install. The bushing kept deforming when I tried to put it in. I finally managed to get it in (the clear one, as shown) on my 2003 using the methods shown in this video, though I had to use a pair of Vise-grips to actually get it to set. https://youtu.be/3x8eje3fhTE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcosh View Post
Old thread but still a great resource for issues.

I saved this link some time ago in case...
An alternate source for a fix

https://www.bushingfix.com/chevrolet...ushing-repair/
Thanks. I'm definitely getting this if it ever breaks again; that bushing looks made to corrode and break after a few years. Why use a little piece of rubberized plastic on a mission-critical part??

Old 02-11-2019, 10:27 AM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calion View Post
Man, that was a royal pain to install. The bushing kept deforming when I tried to put it in. I finally managed to get it in (the clear one, as shown) on my 2003 using the methods shown in this video, though I had to use a pair of Vise-grips to actually get it to set. https://youtu.be/3x8eje3fhTE
And that is why the orange one is the better one. It is a 2 part piece that easily clicks on by hand with no deforming. Skip down to about 4 minutes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxG_j1uTM_I&t=370s The clear one is for the other end of the cable inside the console. Another advantage of the orange one is the pair is half the price and should always be in stock locally at any parts store.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB-Al View Post
And that is why the orange one is the better one. It is a 2 part piece that easily clicks on by hand with no deforming.
From your earlier comment I thought those were only for the 2004 and later.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in