Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Post from GM: tunes void warranty

13K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Kenny24 
#1 ·
Dont know if its been posted:

Here is info from GM

Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-033 is currently available in SI.

Identifying Aftermarket Engine Calibrations 2.0L, 2.2L, 2.4L, 2.8L, 2.9L, 3.0L, 3.1L, 3.2L, 3.4L,
3.5L, 3.6L, 3.8L, 3.9L, 4.2L, 4.3L, 4.4L, 4.6L, 4.8L, 5.0L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, 7.0L, 7.4L, 8.1L
Gas Powered Engines Only

Models: 2006–2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks
2006–2009 HUMMER H2, H3
Excluding Pontiac Vibe, G8, Chevrolet Aveo, All Saturn and Saab Models

Important: This bulletin applies to Gas Powered Engines ONLY. For Diesel Powered Engines, refer to Service Bulletin #08-06-04-006A.

If a suspicious hard part failure is observed in the engine, transmission, transfer case or driveline, perform the calibration verification described to determine if a non-GM issued engine calibration is installed. Non-GM issued engine calibrations subject driveline components to stresses different than the calibrations which these components were validated to. Repairs to transmission, transfer case and/or other driveline components where a non-GM engine calibration has been verified are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Instructions for Confirming Calibration Verification Number (CVN):

1. Go to TIS2WEB
2. Select "Calibration Information (SPS Info)"
3. Enter VIN
4. Select "Get Cal ID"
5. Select "ECM Engine Control Module"
6. Select "Next"
7. Select "Complete History"
8. Print
9. Take the printout to the vehicle along with the Tech 2®
10. Plug in the Tech 2®
11. Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle
12. Select "Powertrain"
13. Select "Engine"
14. *Select "Engine Control Module" or "PCM"
15. *Select "Module ID Information" or "I/M Information System" if module ID information selection is not available.
16. *If "I/M information System" was selected in step 15, it may be necessary to select "Vehicle Information" in order to display the calibration information.
17. Compare the calibration ID and Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) to the Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) on the printout.

* Steps may vary by controller.

Although the part numbers will be the same for each, it's the CVN that will determine if the calibration is GM issued. If ALL of the CVN's are EXACTLY the same, the calibration is GM issued.

If the part numbers match and ANY CVN's DO NOT match the printout, it is likely that a non-GM certified calibration has been installed.

If the CVN information is displayed as "N/A", it will be necessary to contact the TCSC to obtain the CVN information.

If a non-GM calibration is found to be in the ECM (CVN's on the Tech 2 do not match TIS printout) - In order to document the case — a CLEAR digital picture should be taken of the Tech 2® screen showing the VIN and the CVN's that do not match the TIS2WEB printout. The picture, VIN and reason the vehicle is currently in for service should be emailed to JAY.DANKOVICH@GM.COM and STEVEN.R. BRIDSON@GM.COM for verification. Please copy your GM District Service Manager (DVM) on the e-mail. GM will verify if the CVN's are not GM issued and respond via e-mail within 72 hours.
its been posted but here it is:

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting, I have heard that the V8's are breaking things, transmissions, rear ends, etc. and chevy thinks that it might be related to PCM tunes.

#3 ·
I have heard from most that the big problem is when they try to flash the computer, which is a GM mechanics first step for everything, if it is locked by an external tune then you are screwed becasue it will cause them to look for something because they can not complete the flash...BIG RED FLAG!:duh:

The moral of the story is.......keep your stocker PCM/Tcm and make sure they are in if you go back to the stealership for any work. And you really shouldnt do any mods if you can't afford to fix your ride after your mod kill it.:hopeless

HOWEVER....they can tell how many miles since the last flash........and an install of your stocker PCM is a just like a flash when it is re-installed, so if you drive in with 23 miles since last flash and you have 23K on the car.....yet another red flag.:nono:

And the real problem is not that they LS2 has been breaking things.....its that GM put a ***** transmission in a beast of a truck. They should have put the diesel tranny in it or a 6speed like every other manufacturer does....GM cutting corners and costs up front again....ends up costing them in the end anyways when they have to replace the rear diff or the tranny 2-3x for 1 out of every 4 SS owners.

#8 ·
does....GM cutting corners and costs up front again....ends up costing them in the end anyways when they have to replace the rear diff or the tranny 2-3x for 1 out of every 4 SS owners.
just like Bob lutz proclaiming that the Acadia will have a 4500 lb towing limit even though the trans was designed for 3500 max, and proving ground tests backed that up. He wanted it, and marketing and engineering delivered it as a spec. Just try to tow a fully loaded 22 foot hybrid TT cross country with that wimpy crossover, its tranny wont last, not to mention the suspension

#4 ·
E-fans??

I'm going to keep my stock ECM to replace my tuned ECM, when sending the TB in for repairs, just for this reason but I want to have E-fans. Is there a way to put the E-fans patch on my stock computer without failing the above test?? Otherwise I wont have a cooling fan until I get the tuned computer back on.

#5 ·
I'm going to keep my stock ECM to replace my tuned ECM, when sending the TB in for repairs, just for this reason but I want to have E-fans. Is there a way to put the E-fans patch on my stock computer without failing the above test?? Otherwise I wont have a cooling fan until I get the tuned computer back on.
From what I know about tunes...the efans will not run without the patch, meaning your truck is going to run hot as hell on your way to the dealer. And you can't hide the fans from the dealer either.

The issue with the warranty is for a major failure by an integral part of the drivetrain. Full tranny replacement or an engine replacement. I have met a few guys, and mechanics and have been told that they are not looking for reasons to not fix your car.........they only look for the tune when a flag is raised for MAJOR issues. If you are just going in for regular service there is no reason to worry. If you go in for a repair that may require a PCM flash then you should make sure to swap out your PCM. If you just want the patch for the efans on your stocker I would say send your stocker in to PCM for less or whoever did your tune and get the patch added. That should not be a deal breaker for your warranty.

It is when people start playing with the torque managment, the fuel/air ratios, and the shift points that it causes the big problems for the dealership. Hope this helped.:tiphat

#14 ·
So if GM finds out about these tunes (which you have made public knowledge) and catches it on one of these guys vehicles when they bring it in for, say a transmission failure, do they just deny warranty coverage, or do they file fraud charges on the owner?

#17 ·
You mean GM spending EXTRA MONEY on something that is a WANT and not a NEED.......highly unlikely....it's GM. hahahahahahah

Like mentioned before they should build it to hold up in the first place

The cars that will last 15 years or more with the least amount of repairs.
ALL JAP CARS so sad
1. HONDA Civic
2. CRV
3. Element
4. Lexus es
5. Lexus is
6. TOYOTA 4 Runner
7. Highlander
8. Prius
9. Rav4
10. NOT the Trailblazer,Envoy,Bravada,OR Izuzu thing

#20 ·
This Tune you guys are talking about that is invisible to the dealers. What exactly does it do. I just recently bought a 08 TBSS and am currious about chips or tunes available. I am completely ignorant of mods etc... and really I am not looking for more HP my main objective is to get the best fuel economy available. So please those of you who are knowledgable and can educate me. I need know what is safe what the risks are etc... on a mod that would accomplish this I have heard of the predator and now whatever it is your discussing here. My TBSS is not used for racing it is my everyday vehicle for the most driven conservatively. So if its the racing that kills the Tranny or causes other problems that wouldn't affect me but if it is caused by the chip or mod over time I need to know. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. :)

#21 ·
Hello TigerJean and welcome............I would hate to say.....but if you were looking for fuel economy you are looking at the wrong place.........you got a Traiblazer SS............LS2 V8 6.0L engine..........you ain't gonna get great mileage with that beast.........with all that power.......it practically is a race car!! Also with the transmission problem.......I was reading other post and I heard the transmissions fail on the newer models...if I am correct it is the 08's that are going...........and it doesn't matter if you drive it like you stole it....or driving miss daisy..............the transmission cannot handle all the power of the engine!! Good luck!!

#24 ·
the problem is that GM put the 4l70e trans in a 6000lb SUV with an LS2.. they are all bound to break... i think i have came across maybe 2 to 3 people that have posted and that i have met that have stock trannies and well over the 60K mile mark.. now mind you they did not mod the TBSS at all.. also i just took a ride with someone from this site who put 417hp down on the dyno on saturday 4/18/09 with a stock transmission.. just had a stall put in and a aftermarket tranny cooler.. so like anything else i feel its the luck of the draw...the tranny either breaks or it doesnt.. plain and simple.. thats what warranties are for...

#27 ·
:eek:fftopic:

The sticker on the door is the GVWR

A gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle or trailer when loaded - i.e including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.
The difference between gross weight and curb weight is the total passenger and cargo weight capacity of the vehicle. For example, a pickup truck with a curb weight of 4500 pounds might have a cargo capacity of 2000 pounds, meaning it can have a gross weight of 6500 pounds when fully loaded.
Most SS's that I know of are in the 4900-5100 lb. range with a driver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.