07 TB LS, Frontend Vibration 70 MPH to 80 MPH - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > OEM Issues

OEM Issues OEM Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:41 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Moondust What? Silver! 4.2L I6 2WD
07 TB LS, Frontend Vibration 70 MPH to 80 MPH

My new (300 miles) 07 TB LS, 2wd, I-6 has a slight vibration from 70 MPH to 80 MPH.

Under 70 and over 80 its smooth enough, though it rides somewhat rougher than my 05 TB probably (maybe?) due to the 05 having 15" tires and the 07 having 17" tires.

I told the dealer about the problem and they dynamically? balanced all 4 tires/wheels. I hoped that would fix the problem, but after I got it back I tried it on a different stretch of newer smooth interstate, vibration is still there, same speeds as before.

I can actually see/feel the steering wheel slightly vibrate, and a Wal Mart bag half full of stuff left on the back seat will "rustle" when the vibration is occurring. (Just happened to notice that yesterday)

I really dont know what terms to use to explain the vibration to the dealer. As I said, I see/feel the steering wheel vibrate slightly, and also feel a vibration coming through the whole truck. I told them this before and they did the balancing.

Could it be a driveshaft/U-joint problem? Maybe a frontend alignment problem? I cant think of what else could possibly cause it.

I am leaning toward the frontend alignment problem simply because I can feel it in the steering wheel. The steering wheel is also just slightly turned left when going straight. Its going back to the dealer next Thur for something else, I will ask them to address this too.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2007, 09:13 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2005 GMC Envoy Denali
Summit White 5.3L V8 4X4
Were the wheels and tires just balanced, or road forced balanced? Road force balance done correctly with a Hunter GSP 9700 will eliminate any bad tires or wheels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:26 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
what kind of tires do the new ones come with? I know for the SS and the 20" wheels and the Goodyear RSA's, this is a common issue that an alignment doesn't fix --its the Goodyear tires going 'out-of-round'.

Check tire pressure to make sure all are the same. In your case, it could possibly be an alignment issue or wheel balance. Have them swap out with different tires and see if that makes a difference.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:36 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
If the steering wheel is off center , needs to have alignment . A defective tire could also cause the steering wheel to be off center / also cause vibration etc.... I would rotate the tires and see if vibration changes ... at least it rules out front or rear tires.... you could do that at home if you have the tools /abilities
Old 12-22-2007, 06:48 AM

Road Force balance. Thats what they said they did, I just couldnt remember the term until E.F. posted it. Thanks.

I will tell them about the steering wheel and the still existing shake next Thur. I believe they will try an alignment next.

It has the 17" Continental ContiTrac tires. I wanted Goodyears like on all the low option TBs locally (my plain jane 05 LS had them) but all the up-option 07 TBs like my 07 at this dealership had the Continentals.

Buying a leftover 07, I really didnt have a lot to choose from since around here the cheaper trucks go first, leaving only the more expensive ones to sit on the lot, and they all had the Contis.

I have read a lot about the Contis and some have had good luck with them, some have had bad. I guess I will find out. Interesting that GM must think they are a better tire, since ALL the LT and higher optioned LS TBs around here have Contis while the stripped plain LS models all have Goodyears.

Mike
Old 12-28-2007, 09:43 PM

Got the TB back today. They road force balanced the tires again. According to my (free under warranty) work order, the Road Force tire readings were, 12, 20, 24, 34. They replaced the 34 tire with a new tire a that reads 4. So my Road Force tire readings are 4, 12, 20, 24. They said GM wont replace a tire if the Road Force reading is below 27.

They Road Force balanced all the tires 2 weeks ago, but found ALL of them within spec. Wonder where that 34 came from hmmmmm?

They said that the steering wheel was straight, so they couldnt fix it. Its off about 1/2 inch to the left turn side, so they said I was probably noticing it in the right lane on the interstate and the crown in the road makes me turn left slightly, hence the steering wheel not being straight. Yes. But when I get in the left lane, it should require me to turn slightly right to compensate for the road crown. Nope. The steering wheel is perfectly straight when Im in the left lane of a straight road.

The vehicle (frontend) vibration is somewhat better, but still there. I called and spoke to the Service Manager after I drove it home today. He drove the truck prior to the new tire being installed, and said he DID feel an on/off vibration, and the EVA (Electronic Vibration Analyzer) that he took along found a periodic Level 1 vibration. He said he didnt get a chance to drive it after the new tire was installed, but he said that the new tire "should take care of the problem". Since they couldnt find anything else wrong, the tire "must have been the problem".

I told him that while it is lessened, the vibration is still there.

I broached the subject of bent rims. He said the Hunter machine that they use will test the rims if the tire wont balance within spec. No such problems were reported to him.

I asked about wheel hubs and rotors being out of round (edit, I mean warped), and was told that anything like that would be "extremely unusual".

I asked what was the next step to resolve this problem. He suggested I drive it for a week to see if it gets any better (?), and call him after that. He said we would probably have to start all over again with Road Force testing the tires to "see if they have changed".

These people are being very nice about all this, but I get the very real feeling that they have exhausted pretty much everything that they can think of. I cant think of what else to ask them to do, short of checking the hubs/rotors and he sounded like he didnt want to do that.

They gave me a courtesy car while mine was in the dealer shop, a 2006 Malibu with 29000 miles on it. It drove flat and smooth at all speeds, including 70 MPH+. Not a hint of vibration. I just wish my TB would do the same.

Mike
Old 12-28-2007, 09:52 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2004 Cadillac TrailBlazer LT
Majestic Red/Sandstone 4.2L I6 2WD
Tell them you want to trade it in on one that doesn't vibrate. Did you test drive any before you bought? This should get their attention. At the least maybe they'll swap a set of tires/rims from another one. This may be an issue you'll have to take up with Continental.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:40 PM

You may be right about having to take it to Continental.

I called and spoke to the service manager again today to offer that they have done a great job correcting the other few items on the truck, but that the vibration seems to be eluding a solution.

I explained that judging by what they have tried so far, they may just be chasing their tails trying to fix this, and I requested that they install a new set of tires from a different manufacturer.

His answer was a firm no. I then offered to pay any difference in price. He said that GM would never do that. He also said that after he installed the one new tire at 700 miles, GM said they wont pay for it. He said GM now has a policy whereby it will not replace any questionable tire on a new vehicle (his words) at under (yes under) 1000 miles. IMHO that could open GM up to a bit of liability if its true.

He said the tires may develop flat spots from sitting on the lot, and driving on them may help make them round again.

Ok?

I asked him why they didnt find the 34# Road Force tire in the first balancing. He said all the tires checked out fine the first time, and that the tire must have "changed" and gone bad by the second balancing. (Note, there was only a week and a 300 mile trip between balancings).

So, now he wants me to drive it to the 1K mark before I bring it back to him. He said the tires may "change" again by then either for good or bad.

The one new tire DID help lessen the vibration, so I am nearly convinced that I have a bad tire problem and nothing more.

For instance. I have one tire that Road Force balances at 24#. GM will replace a tire if its over 27#, so this tire is ALMOST bad enough to replace? That says to me, YES, its vibrating, just not bad enough for them to replace it?

So, he said to drive it to 1K, if its still vibrating bring it back to him and they will RF balance the tries AGAIN and he will "go to bat" for me with GM, but he doesnt think that they will give me all new tires in any case. If they go bad under warranty, GM will only replace them one at a time as they go bad.

It appears that my steering wheel has the "interstate vibrate option" and I cant turn it off.

Mike
Old 12-31-2007, 09:09 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black Granite Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Typical, common sources of vibrations:

Tires - Out of balance, defective, low/high/uneven tire pressure, uneven wear of tires.

Frontend out of alignment.

Rims - Bent.

Brakes - While the truck is new a rotor may still have some warpage due to heat (braking too hard), defect in casting, tightening the lug nuts too tight will warp (bend) the rotor.

You need to make sure that everytime you go to the dealer with an issue they write it on a repair sheet. Every item and every time.

Make sure that they write on the repair sheet what they found or didn't find.

Have a witness with you.

As for GM's warranty make sure you read it and know what parts are covered and how they are covered. This knowledge can get tires/parts replaced.

I had a '95' S-10 2wd Blazer. At 1,000 miles the front tires were wearing unevenly with the leading edge of the tread blocks showing more wear than the rear. The dealer said it was normal (I had everything on paper). His solution was to rotate the tires every 2,000 miles instead of my normal 4,000.

After numerous requests, and refusals, to get an alignment I was able to convince a factory rep to listen to me an agree the front end needed to be checked out. By now the truck had 6,000 miles on it.

The alignment showed the front end was toed in too much. By now there was 1/8 inch difference between the leading and trailing edge of the tread blocks.
After getting the realignment I went to the service manager to request a new set of tires for the front end. He refused saying GM doesn't warranty tires. I politely explained that while GM doesn't warranty tires per se, they will (under warranty) replace any part that is damaged due to another defective part or manufacturing error.

My manager tried to explain they typically would but I didn't bring it to his attention until after the alignment issue and he couldn't be sure that I hadn't done the damage after the alignment.

By producing the paperwork I was able to prove the excessive wear was from the manufacturing alignment not anything I did and the issue was brought to their attention as soon as it was discovered. I received a new set of tire for nothing.

P.S. At that time GM had a "free loaner" for you if you had to leave your new car for warranty work over night.

My free loaner was supposed to be a car from Enterprise that while GM paid the cost I was supposed to pay the taxes on the rental. I explained that Webster's dictionary defines Free as "gratis, without conditions)". I got my "free loaner" for free.

Know your rights and the warranty and use them.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:49 AM
TrailVoy Guru

2005 GMC Envoy Denali
Summit White 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInMobileAL View Post

For instance. I have one tire that Road Force balances at 24#. GM will replace a tire if its over 27#, so this tire is ALMOST bad enough to replace? That says to me, YES, its vibrating, just not bad enough for them to replace it?

So, he said to drive it to 1K, if its still vibrating bring it back to him and they will RF balance the tries AGAIN and he will "go to bat" for me with GM, but he doesnt think that they will give me all new tires in any case. If they go bad under warranty, GM will only replace them one at a time as they go bad.

It appears that my steering wheel has the "interstate vibrate option" and I cant turn it off.

Mike
On your tire with the 24#, did the dealer break the tire away from the rim and relocate it to get it down to 24#, or is that the way it is and they have made no change? If no relocation, there is possibility of improvement with relocating the tire at a different position on the rim.

When I was test driving new '05 Envoy's, I drove one with severe pull to one side. The salesman told me that GM wouldn't allow them to do any thing for this issue till 1000 miles had been put on the truck. No way would I buy that one. I'm not going to buy something new with issues from day one with a promise of a fix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in