Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

The whats, whys, and hows to removing your exhaust resonator (WITH PICS)

218K views 328 replies 154 participants last post by  lboogie1 
#1 ·
hey guys,
ok so i really know not too much about exaust systems but heres the deal. i ship this summer so i have no need to go out and spend a TON on my 2002 tb ltz. so what im thinkin is just to cut off the resonator. ive read that its not TOO difficult. question one: is that big can which sticks out the back in which looks like a d*mn trashcan the resonator or is it the muffler? i looked and i can see another about in the middle under the car but im not sure which is which. if i cut off the resonator will it be really loud or just louder than stock, also i have a 4.2L so will it even make a good sound. and two: if that can in the back is the resonator is it ok if i just lop it off with out adding a pipe to go out the back? i dont care really about adding a tip or anything i just want that ugly thing outa there and maybe a little more sound, even if it sounds not too great. thanks alot

#46 ·
Oh wow, that sounded much better. So that thing hanging off the back that looks like a muffler isn't a muffler huh? Well, how much does it generally cost to get that thing snatched off and a tip put under there?

Kimberlee:)

#5 ·
I was reluctant too about cutting my resonator off, but really to me I couldn't tell much of a difference after I did. Looks soo much cleaner. I'd throw a good stainless tip on there though, especially stainless in our case with having to deal with salt on the roads.

#6 ·
did it!

i decided to just go and do it. took me forever considering i only had a single hand hack saw....haha but it looks sooooo much better and i can definelty hear the difference, not super noticable but for sure better, now that i think about it i probably will soon put on a stainless tip. thanks for all the help!

#17 · (Edited)
im definatly planning on doing this myself on my '02 Voy (trash can looks like hell)
I'm just trying to decide on a tip that i should put on. I was thinking maybe one that split into 2 to make it look like its dual?
I was thinking maybe this one:

if not, what would anyone recommend for a tip?

#20 ·
time for a res delete for me too

I was rear ended just before christmas. No real damage to my TB with the exception of the exhaust. The front end of the ford fusion that hit me was DESTROYED. My problem is the factory replacement tailpipe hangs 1 1/2 to 2 inches lower than stock. I measured 8 other TBs in parking lots to be sure. The body shop says that it is how the replacement came from the factory. Aside from the fact that the resonator is already ugly back there, it now hangs way too low for my taste and I plan on doing some 4 wheelin in the spring. I am going to cut out a perfectly good 2 month old resonator to weld in a straight pipe. YES !!! Just gotta find the right tip. I've seen some nice ones in this thread. Gave mesome ideas. I will post pix when i'm done. The site won't let me upload the accident pix :bonk:. Telling me the upload failed. I know the pic is small enough and less than 4 mb . Weird.

#24 ·
Pix of my rearnded TB. 'Death to the Resonator'

I was rear ended just before christmas. No real damage to my TB with the exception of the exhaust. The front end of the ford fusion that hit me was DESTROYED. My problem is the factory replacement tailpipe hangs 1 1/2 to 2 inches lower than stock. I measured 8 other TBs in parking lots to be sure. The body shop says that it is how the replacement came from the factory. Aside from the fact that the resonator is already ugly back there, it now hangs way too low for my taste and I plan on doing some 4 wheelin in the spring. I am going to cut out a perfectly good 2 month old resonator to weld in a straight pipe. YES !!! Just gotta find the right tip. I've seen some nice ones in this thread. Gave me some ideas.

Attachments

#21 ·
I cut the resonator, got a corsa tip for a great price off of ebay, welded it on and painted the pipe black to the tip with VHT primer and flat black header paint from Auto Zone. Looks and sounds great. Corsa part number 14035, mine looks great. http://corsaperf.com/CorsaVehicleLookup.aspx Also I had to buy an 18" peice of pipe to weld it, sorry I forgot to add that

#27 ·
Dosen't matter wether you weld or clamp on a tip. Extending the pipe further is in my opinion nescesary to keep the exhaust gas from entering your tb when you are idiling. It looks like you'd have to cut the pipe just after the rear exhaust hanger before the res can. I do my own welding and can get a clean weld there, I would cut it at the rear of the weld bead where the pipe and res can meet (see the red arrow in the pic). Not alot of room between there. Gonna remove the tire for more room. You can go straight out back or out the side with your new pipe.

Attachments

#31 ·
I prefer the clean look myself when you put a tip on. If you have an 06 or newer LT, then the bumper has a notch in it for the exhaust, so you kind of have to go straight out the back. Luckily mine is an LS so the bumper is different and I was able to go out the side like I wanted to.

Here is Before:

Here is after:

Cost $40 to get it done, which included:
-Cutting the can off
-New piece of pipe to replace it, which also had to be custom bent to get the right angle etc..
-New hanger being to get a decent cut you really need to cut before the hanger so you have a decent amount of pipe to weld to.
-New Chrome tip
-And of course all the welding

A bargain if you ask me.. The tip alone I think was $25. so he only charged $15 for EVERYTHING else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.