Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Tie Rod Replacement How to

Tags
how to
204K views 130 replies 64 participants last post by  2004TB_LS_6cyl 
#1 ·
I searched the site and have not seen a write up on a tie rod replacement. I just ordered the outer tie rod for the passenger side on my TB. It will be here tomorrow so I will take pictures, write up the steps and then post it. Looks like a pretty simple job. I was able to break the bolt on the knuckle loose as well as the jamb nut on the adjustment sleeve.

I have been having an issue with play in the steering wheel. I had my son turning the wheel while I was looking down below. It was painfully obvious what was wrong. As soon as I jacked up the passenger side you could feel and see the slop in the tie rod end. I am kind of surprised it hasn't broke.

This should be the last of the repairs for a while.

#76 ·
In case you havent found out already the size. Here is some help. I was wondering the same thing and ppl told me that you would just have to take it apart and look from there. I ordered Moog inner tie rod 14mm and when I went to install it, the inner didnt match the outer. So, in short I had 16mm threads. I was out 90 bucks for that part but after research on here I ordered from rockauto.com. I ended up getting new inner tierods and outer tierods 16mm threads. I am pressed for money with the new Charger I got so I had to get mevotech brand. Anybody know if thats a good brand? Anyways, I had a question for Roadie: the boots from parts4chevys.com, is it just a boot for one side or do both come together for 60 bucks?

#68 ·
Gotta love Cleveland weather. Corrodes everything and makes vehicle repairs almost impossible! :hissy:

Finally got it though! :woot:

Thanks for the PDF, it really helped out! First side took about an hour because of the corrosion. Second side only took 20 mins though!

The TrailBlazer is back in action!:woohoo:

#71 ·
Do I need a puller to seperate or can I use a hammer on the bolt once I take the top nut off? Is there any reason I shouldnt' hammer out the part I am replacing to avoid getting a puller?

Are the Moog replacements one of the better replacement brands for tie rod ends?

The garage I use told me this would cost me $500. I got Moog replacement parts for a total of $140 and will do the whole process myself. Heck of a savings!

Thanks - Great forum, use it often!

#73 ·
But you're saving so much money you can AFFORD to start collecting cool tools like the puller, in case you need it later for an upper ball joint shaft removal to drop the steering knuckle for other repairs.

Avoiding a justifiable increase to one's tool collection is a foreign concept. :dielaugh: :excited: He who dies with the most tools wins. :woot:

#77 ·
I use Mevotech or Deeza. No Ebay Chinese crap, but I tend to break 'em before they're worn out so cheaper is better for me personally. :sadcry:

Didn't know Rockauto had boots. Got a part number, or what section they're listed under? I don't see any under steering now, but I need to get some.

#80 · (Edited)
New or Junker Tie Rod

Greetings Dudes,

I have a 2002 TB with loose passenger outer tie rod. When jacked up, I can wiggle the wheel just a tiny bit.

I'm debating buying a new tie rod... or just going to a junker yard and pull one that does not wiggle.

I know to look for 14mm and 16mm differences.

Can I also get a list of year and models of alternate GMC\Chevy trucks, Envoys or TBs that I can look for parts in a junker yard?

Thoughts? Tips? Tricks? :cool:

#82 ·
Greetings Dudes,

I have a 2002 TB with loose passenger outer tie rod. When jacked up, I can wiggle the wheel just a tiny bit.

I'm debating buying a new tie rod... or just going to a junker yard and pull one that does not wiggle.

I know to look for 14mm and 16mm differences.

Can I also get a list of year and models of alternate GMC\Chevy trucks, Envoys or TBs that I can look for parts in a junker yard?

Thoughts? Tips? Tricks? :cool:

I believe you can only pull parts off other GMT360 platforms. Also I am about to replace my inners and outers soon.

#81 ·
I don't think I've ever heard of pulling a tie rod end at the junkyard. :confused:

Usually the alignment you need will far outweigh the cost of the part, and aftermarket ones often come with the desirable zerk grease fitting.

There are no other platforms/trucks to pull from except the trailvoy GMT360/370/305 series.

If you have the 2002 14mm version, all you can choose from is the Trailblazer, Envoy, and Olds Bravada.

For the 16mm ones, you can add the Isuzu Ascender, Buick Rainier, and Saab 9-7X, and I think the same evil GM design team designed the suspension for the Chevrolet SSR, but I never checked part numbers for those tie rod ends.

#83 ·
GMT Series?

OK... You guys hit me with a new term and acronym I'm not 100% hip on.

I'm guessing General Motors Truck Series.... how do you ID 360 series or does someone have a list?

And for Roadie.... In the past, my eldest high schooler side swiped a car, hooked the tires and bent his tie rod. It was a junker 93 olds achieva and a new tie rod was more expensive than the damn car. For $5, I pulled a junker tie rod, had Schwabs do an alignment for $40... done.

My logic was to do the same for the TB tie rod... Is my logic flawed??

Cheers

Chewie

#86 ·
Thanks for the great write up, and additional tips! This was my first time ever replacing anything suspension related. Was quoted $245/side ($490 for both sides) for the parts and labor on our 2003 TB LT. My wife was quoted this tonight when she was denied an alignment because of the tie rod having so much play. I decided at 6pm on a Sunday night to do it myself. It cost me $85 total with the great Advanced Auto coupons. Took my dad and I about an hour labor to complete both sides, taking our time. I'll get it aligned tomorrow.

#87 ·
:thx This thread was very helpful. I just replaced mine with the MOOG parts and thanks to this it went perfect. I didn't have to use my puller, a slight tap (with a nice sledge) on the head of the tie rod and it popped right out. Only issue I had was that even though I measured the threads and made sure they matched, the MOOG ends are longer, and my alignment was WAY off after install... :hissy: so I did an old school eyeball alignment to hold me over until I can get it set right after the weekend. Thanks again for the great post!!!

#88 ·
I had my TB in for a free tire rotation @ Sears today, and they called me out to the shop to see that when the guy grabbed the tire @ 3 and 9 o'clock the tire had some play. He said the tie rod was bad, and quoted me a price of $250 to replace the tie rod and do an allignment. I figure I can do the tie rod myself thanks to this thread, but I don't feel anything in the steering and the truck drives straight and there is hardly any slop in the wheel. When should I consider replacing?

Kyle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.