Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

How to Change 3rd Brake Light--with pics

81K views 45 replies 33 participants last post by  noraa 
#1 · (Edited)
About a week ago, I was randomly surfing on eBay when i found a 3rd Brake Light, the newer LED style. Since I had the neon version of the light, I figured I would bid on this and see if I would get it. I won it for $9 with S/H included. Talk about a great find. The new one does have a scuff mark as it is off an 06 trailblazer, but is still in great shape.

During the swap, I took enough pictures to write a How-to on it to help those individuals who are visual learners such as myself. It is a very easy job and not hard to do at all!

Right after opening the package, i decided to put a coat of turtle wax just for the hell of it to get that glossy look.

Step 1: Open the lift gate and look up at the top and pull the wire out until you see the connector and disconnect it.

Step 2: If you purchased a used one or just want to see if the new one works, now would be a good time to test it. Just connect the new light and have someone press on the brakes. All of the LEDs in mine fired up nicely and so should yours.

Step 3: Carefully close the lift gate and open the glass portion about halfway, and open the lift gate to try to pull the wire to the top. I found it easiest to keep the wire as closest as you can to the hinge and it will come right out. Sorry, no pic for this.

Step 4: There are 2 (sometimes 3 depending on your model) philip screws holding the light to the top of the lift gate. They are on each side of the light and on top if you have a third screw. They can be accessed by having only the glass portion of the lift gate open.

Step 5: After unscrewing them, go ahead and pull out the light assembly.

I put them next to each other to compare the wear and fading. New one looks much better in my opinion:thumbsup:

Step 6: Go ahead and insert the new assembly and screw it into place.

Step 7: Run the wiring down through the lift gate and connect it back to the harness.

Don't Forget to shove the wire in there until the rubber "grommet" is securely covering the whole. If not, you will get water in your headliner next time it rains or you go for a car wash!!

And now you're done! Enjoy!

Old:

New:

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks! hopefully some members here will find this helpful for them! i'll try to keep an eye out for deals like that again!

#13 ·
IMO opinion the LED is much more brighter and looks a lot better than the old neon one. And for those with the neon tubes, they do burn out where LED's are basically forever.

#15 ·
Am I correct in assuming the only part you guys used was part #15201921? The actual LED bar itself?

GMPartsDirect.com shows a description accompanying that part... that says:
HIGH STOP LAMP
(LED lighting system)(if used on 2003 and prior the bezel molding must be replaced to use new design lamp)

Check with customer service to obtain correct bezel lamp molding.

Did any of you experience this or know what this means? I have an '02 Envoy and I'm looking to replace my 3rd brake light with the newer LED style, but I'm hoping it's just easy...

#18 ·
03 molding needed ? I don't think so....

Hey McFly, I'm going to confirm the part number I received today. I have an '03 and I didn't need to change anything and it fit fine (as it appears to be to me anyway). I don't see anything out of the norm, it fit perfectly. Tomorrow morning I'll let you know.

ttyl, Val

#17 ·
Success !

Hey Guys, thanks for posting these step by step instructions. :hail:

I received my 3rd brake light from GMPartDirect today and installed it within a half hour... looks good and it's the LED light too !! :thumbsup:

Thanks for being the best of the best with honors ! lol

Val

#22 ·
I know this post is kinda old but I just have to brag a little.

I was reading LED post and came across this one. I bought my TB used 2 years ago and the 3rd brake light was broke so I asked the dealer and they said they would replace it. I never realized that it was LED until I came across this post :D. LOL

But it is a great write up tho..

#25 ·
New Light

If anyone needs a replacement CHMSL (3rd brake light). I found several on Ebay ( from the same seller).
Look for this posting "GM 15000045 Avalanche GMC Envoy Brake Light NEW"

I rcvd one today and it is perfect.. New no scratches and best of all it works.
Cost about $80 with shipping and that is a ton less the gmpartsdirect ($150) or the dealer ($207).

Be careful on the install. The mount points are way too fragile. Mine snapped and I had to use some glue to repair. The molding/bezel on mine is taped/glued to the window and made it more difficult to free the light for replacement. I think 2004 and later is a slightly different mount that maybe does cause the plastic breaking. Anyway I stick with my original opinion and that is the light will fit any model and the Bezel replacement is not a requirement, but could be in your future if you tear yours up trying to replace the stop light..

#26 ·
If anyone needs a replacement CHMSL (3rd brake light). I found several on Ebay ( from the same seller).
Look for this posting "GM 15000045 Avalanche GMC Envoy Brake Light NEW"

I rcvd one today and it is perfect.. New no scratches and best of all it works.
Cost about $80 with shipping and that is a ton less the gmpartsdirect ($150) or the dealer ($207).

Be careful on the install. The mount points are way too fragile. Mine snapped and I had to use some glue to repair. The molding/bezel on mine is taped/glued to the window and made it more difficult to free the light for replacement. I think 2004 and later is a slightly different mount that maybe does cause the plastic breaking. Anyway I stick with my original opinion and that is the light will fit any model and the Bezel replacement is not a requirement, but could be in your future if you tear yours up trying to replace the stop light..

I also bought from this seller on ebay. Just received mine today and the neon tube was shattered. The part was wrapped in one sheet of bubble wrap and shipped in a triangle box that it barely fit.

Luckily he will replace it or refund my money when I ship it back to him. But, I'm still pissed that it was broken in the first place. :hissy:

#28 ·
CHMSL 15201921 for 15000045 (15062434)

There has been a lot of talk about whether the bezel over the light needs to be replaced. I bought a 2007 Envoy light and installed it into my 2002 TB. Fits perfect after figuring out the interference issue. The *only* difference I found, was the center attachment point that slips into a pocket in the bezel is about 1/8" longer on the 15201921-current p/n, as compared to the original neon part. In the "pocket" that the center mounting point slides into, there was a little "gusset" in the very center of the pocket. This kept the light from snapping into place correctly. I used a sharp pocket knife to cut this piece out and then the light snapped into place. If you look closely at the picture, you can see the rough area above the hole in the center of the pocket. The length of the center mounting point could be shorted to accomplish the same thing, of course.
Bought the part from Spalding in Spokane, WA for $37+s&h $13. Great junk yard, been doing business with them since the mid 1950's.
-Dave

Attachments

#31 ·
Seek Used Dude

How did you find this on ebay for $10.00. The cheapest lights that i am finding are around $113.
Check the previous post, #28. http://www.car-part.com/ is a search thru salvage yards. Enter YEAR, "Chevy Trailblazer", "Third Brake Light". An Interchange screen may come up. Years 2002-2007 all take the same part, 15201921-current p/n.
I got mine for $50. Spalding has one "A" grade for $37 from a 2005 right now. It cost me $13 for S&H. I called and asked them to read me the part number so I knew I was getting the correct part.
-Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.