Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

When brakes are applied it squeaks

10K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  1moretoy4me 
#1 ·
When my brakes are applied my brakes squeak only when i slightly apply the brakes but when fully applied it does not squeak. Does this mean I need new pads?

#3 ·
I agree with 4x4forLife. The best thing to do is jack it up and pull the tires to see how much brake pad you have left. Also check the roatars t osee if they are warped or have any scars. If everything looks good it could be build up on the brake pads causing the sqeak. Might try using brake cleaner on the pads and then wipe them clean.

#4 ·
Under normal conditions the leading edge of the brake pad gets to a sharp edge and chamfering the edge will stop the squeek. Higher end pads come with a large chamfer to stop this for a very long time.

#5 ·
Ok I brought the SS to the dealer and they said the brake pads are like brand new and they could not duplicate the sound. This only happens at low speeds say 25mph and below. Should I just take a look myself? Is there anything I can do if everything is normal?

#9 ·
Anyone willing to help would be appreciated.

If the weather is nice I will be taking the brake pads off once again and taking pictures. I did notice that the rotor is loose a bit once I take the wheel off. It has been a while since I have done work on my own vehicle. Should this happen with the loose rotor being like that?

#10 ·
Maybe its just dirt, get some good brake cleaner and spray everything down. Or I know autozone sells this little packet of brake quiet, but I have never used it or know if it really works. The loose rotor with the wheel off is normal, when you put your wheel on it will sandwich the rotor between the wheel and hub.

#12 ·
Just because you dont see any dirt doesnt mean that there is any. I dont know that the clip on yours is for, I havent put brakes on a TB yet but I have dont alot of brake jobs on others.

#13 ·
Ok i have spoke with a chevy technician about the brakes. He said that the brake pad sensor (tab from what I said before) which is what is making the squeaking noise. My question which I should have asked the chevy tech is can you adjust the sensor?

#15 ·
During very very high humidity I get a squeak on the first and second brake attempts. My pads seems well within spec.

If I drag the brakes lightly for about 1.5 seconds it ends the squeak. Only happens on high humidity. Dew just dripping like crazy off the paint.

I should knock my tires off and take a good look. On other vehicles I had, it would just make them sensitive until they were applied once or twice.

Anyone else live where its 90%+ humidity all night long?

#16 · (Edited)
USUALLY when the brakes squeek when you do this, its just because of the type of pads you put on...when you start hearing the noise all the time thats when your down to the metal warning clip(if you or the person doing it reinstalled them)....they do make a gel type thing that you can put on to quiet them but if it really bothers you(it would me) just go buy good pads for the front and replace them....the noise isnt going away because of the way the pads wore down...it puts like an edge on them and thats the noise you are hearing

NOW THIS IS JUST USUAL SITUATIONS....YOU STILL NEED TO CHECK THEM TO MAKE SURE!!!

i have high humidity here and mine only make noise for a second if the vehicle has sat longer than a day...but it goes away before i even leave my neighborhood and its not even loud or really noticeable if you have the radio on even on very low

#17 ·
im getting a squeek thats getting to me too. I jsut replaced my rotors and pads about a month ago and just last week it started squeeking... most of the time it does it at lower speed. Was just the drivers side and now i think its both sides. I got a higher quality set of napa ceramic pads ($60) and a sort of midgrade rotor from advance autoparts. I used plenty of the "squeek lube" on the back of the pads.. any ideas? Could a bad set of rotors cause it?

#18 ·
did u use a lot of brake clean while and after to make sure u cleaned off all the rotors and pads? try it again....also if the pads weren't "burnt in" before you installed them and u didn't then that's the reason and you might be able to burn them now as long as u haven't already made a normal wear pattern

#20 ·
I have this same issue, just replaced my back pads 1K miles ago, dut I don't remember there being any of those shims in the back pads. I'll pull off my tires and check all 4 brakes and maybe clean the rotors and pads as well. Will let everyone know if it works.

#23 ·
I did install the anti rattle clip and the squeaking did go away for a while until it got really hot outside and I started to hear the squeak come back. Once the brakes get low and will be getting new slotted rotors and ebc green or yellow pads.

#24 ·
I installed the EBC slotted & Dimpled rotors up front with EBC green pads. After break in and running them for a while, they don't stop as fast as the stock pads, but expected. Almost no brake dust.
However, after about 6000 miles, when I pulled up to a drive through window, I heard them squeel. Only when lightly on the brakes and moving real slow. Of course EBC puts a warning on their website as well as their rotor boxes stating to check the run out of the new rotors once installed. If they are not within specs (hard to believe new rotors would not be), then have them turned down or risk vibration noise / squeeling after 3 to 4000 miles. I checked mine and they where perfectly within spec. But, I have the squeeling noise and the "turbo sounds" or whatever they call it from the slots & dimples is starting to get annoying. Cool at first, then grows old sounding.
For the amount of money spent, I don't like this set-up :)m2:) and soon will go back to a standard rotor surface with the GM ceramic pads. I have a friend that runs that set-up on a similar TBSS and loves it. No squeel and very little brake dust.
BTW - I have almost 10,000 miles on them, still squeeling!:mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.