Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

OEM HID Swap?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Derrick_23 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post, I'm trying to get some answers here.

I have an 06 9-7x 5.3i, and I am in need of headlights. I found a guy on Craigslist who has one that may be parting out, but it has HID's in it, while I have the Halogens. It seems like all the headlights I find out there happen to be the HID's. The plug on the harness appears to be the same, but I don't want to try and plug them in to my car and have the wiring burn up or something. If anyone knows whether this kind of swap is possible, it would be great if you could share your knowledge.

Thanks!

#2 ·
As long as your high/low beam bulbs are the same size (9006/9005) as the vehicle they’re coming off of then it should plug in no problem, however I would get LED headlights personally. I have a hi/lo kit in my envoy off of eBay, it cost me $60 for all 4 bulbs and a year later they’re still as bright as they were brand new.

The problem with HID’s is they have a warm up time before they’re fully bright (forget putting them in your high beams). If you live somewhere that it gets cold, that time takes sometimes several minutes before they’re warmed up, which can be an inconvenience. LED’s are instant bright a** lights, and in general the color of them seem a lot more crisp than say a 6k HID bulb. That’s just my opinion, but you won’t regret going with LED’s. They also last like 1,000x as long as halogen/HID.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.