XUV roof/tailgate predicament - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > General TrailVoy Discussion > The "How-To" and DIY Section

The "How-To" and DIY Section Threads on Do-It-Yourself and How-To goes here.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:50 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLE XUV
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
XUV roof/tailgate predicament

Hey guys -

I got a new issue last night. After a day of helping a friend move in "full on truck mode" with the roof open and gate down, I went to put it all back to "suv mode" and I got the not-so-infrequent "Tailgate - See Manual" on the display.

Now, this issue is not new to me, or anyone who has owned one of these trucks for the past few years. It has been giving me this error more and more recently - whether I've been using the gate or not. Some days I'll get it when using the defroster or the wipers, and some days it will just be there.

As we all know, the solution is an easy one: put the glass up and keep holding the button for two seconds, then put the glass down and hold for two seconds. Viola! The DIC resets and you're good to go.

BUT - what do you do when the roof is open and you are therefor not allowed to put the glass up? I can't but the glass the up to reset the error code, but I can't move the roof to close it as long as the error code persists. Its a fun little Catch 22 that I've never experienced before.

I tried unhooking the negative terminal for a few minutes to reset things, but that didn't help.

Any sensor, motor, or something else that I can replace so the back end stops thinking there is something going on that isn't?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 05:17 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE XUV
Medium Sage Green Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
I seem to be having the same problem.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:00 AM

2005 GMC Envoy SLE XUV
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Bump!

Any one know how you trick the roof into closing? I think I could solve all my problems if I could just make that close!

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2013, 08:06 PM

XUV GMC Envoy SLE XUV
Its silver 4.2L I6 2WD
Lift gate issue roof won't close

Can you still open the end gate, swing or lay down? You may have a chaffed wire. I just went trough a mid gate and end gate window regulator R/R. I could not open the rear gate, I had to take off the inside panel to get to the manual release tabs. What a PITA. I used a small open end wrench to help. There are two upper and lower. I had to do both several times to finally get it to swing open. When you get the panel off look at the reg assy, if the cables are out of whack that may be the problem. When Mine broke I didn't even know it was broke until my window started to slide down. Even after the install It did not work right away, I had to start the engine and let the computer do it's thing, then magically everything worked.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:56 AM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Silver Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I am having the same exact problem right now I already replaces my regulator assembly and the window goes down with all of the buttons but it will not go back up because I get a message on the display that says close the roof? did any one of you guys figured out how to solve this because I also feel that if I close the roof I can reset the rear window into functioning correctly and im afraid to manually closing the roof and having it result into way more problems.

If any one has a solution to this please let me know rainy season is coming and I want to fix this as soon as possible thanks guys.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:59 AM

XUV GMC Envoy SLE XUV
Its silver 4.2L I6 2WD
roof/tailgate predicament

I haven't had this issue yet, but someone mentioned a sensor that gets dirty that could be the problem. It also may be a wire issue, maybe a bad ground.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:18 PM

I have a 2004 that i got as a repo and i recieved it with problems. the back window was down and the membrain im guessing is what it is was unhooked and the back panel was off the tailgate. I hooked the computer back up and it didnt work, the window is down and i cant get the tailgate to unlach or the roof to open. if i could just get the window up i would be satisfied. any sudjestions?
Old 03-31-2015, 09:14 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Stuck in truck mode

Hello I am having the same issue with my XUV. The roof is open and the rear window is down and will not reset. How was the issue resolved. I have opened the tailgate manually which was terrible design and tried to reset holding down the window button and then up. Please help. Thanks
Old 04-01-2015, 09:47 AM

XUV GMC Envoy SLE XUV
Its silver 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegnor View Post
Hello I am having the same issue with my XUV. The roof is open and the rear window is down and will not reset. How was the issue resolved. I have opened the tailgate manually which was terrible design and tried to reset holding down the window button and then up. Please help. Thanks
You might try something simple like disconnect the battery and wait a couple mins and reconnect. Then start your engine and let it do it's bit. When I replaced the liftgate reg. it did not work at first. I was so pissed. So I did the procedure above and all was good. The other, Have someone work the switches while you check all the connections with a multimeter. There may be a broken wire that is not visible. You could try to apply power to the regulator motor directly. Disconnect the wires to the motor and find something to hook to the motor separately. The motor could be bad. If you can power the window up then you could close the roof. Good luck...
Old 04-03-2015, 12:50 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Still stuck.

Thank you for the reply. I tried taking the battery cable off for several minutes and then putting back on. I checked all the fuses in both fuse boxes. You can hear the relays coming in you can hear a click when you push each button. But it gives the code of close the roof when you try to put the rear window up or reset. Then if you try close the roof it says the see manual code. thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gate, manual, roof, xuv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in