Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Engine temp sensor

10K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  miketexas 
#1 ·
Hey all.
I'm having issues with my coolant temp sensor light. I've replaced the sensor, Thermostat and all new coolant. (the dealer wanted $260 to do a flush. I don't think so) It was fine for about 3 months now the coolant temp light and check engine light come on intermittently then go away for a while. Any ideas what's going on. When the coolant light comes one the the gauge also drops and rpm jumps thinking the engine is cold.
I have read the older posts about this but seemed the thermostat or sensor fixed the problems others were having.

#4 ·
Hey EnvoyBoy2004.
It's been a while. I'm still having the same problem with the coolant sensor (PO128 code) but seems to be worse in the hot weather. I did tinker with the wiring from the coolant sensor and the coolant light went out, RPM dropped and all was good for 2 days until I turned on the A/C. Within seconds the light came on the gauge dropped and pegged at 100. (coincidence?)The A/C seems to have triggered this a couple of times in the last week. I have a new sensor that I will replace this weekend. Is it possible to have air in the system that would cause this? I've always been able to diagnose and repair problems but this intermittent problem has me stumped.

#6 ·
After you have driven it and it warmed up does the gauge show a cold or cool motor? Also, you may want to see what a scan tools shows actual temp at. My Trailblazer was doing that and turned to be a bad sensor. But you've replaced it already. Could have got a bad one though. I replaced mine again a few months ago because it was reading erratic but it failed in about a month. It was hard to start the engine and when the engine was stone cold the sensor data showed over 300 degrees. So if you can see what temp the scan tool reports when it's messing up.

Also, My thermostat went bad and caused the same code you have and the gauge to drop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.