Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Rainier modifications

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  KeshaFlansburg 
#1 ·
I recently picked up a 04 Rainier, as a replacement to my Trailblazer I rolled last thanksgiving. I've always been a fan of overlanding/ expedition type rigs, and while I know its no jeep or land rover, its what I have. The wife and I want to take a trip back out to colorado/Wyoming this year or next, and visit some of our "old stomping grounds." So i'm doing a few mods to the Rainier to make it more capable to bring us back on old logging roads like we used to. I'm not talking about rock crawling or doing extreme modifications, but just enough to have fun camping/ exploring with. Keep in mind, this is also my daily driver, I have a dedicated off road rig.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/the-great-pumpkin-charlie-brown-426353/

The Rainier AWD and lack of lo-range is taking some getting used to, but so far, its worked just fine for me. I also like the on board compressor, and there is an air hose in the rear compartment with a separate switch for filling tires, air mattresses and such. This is a work in progress, but some of what i've done so far-
- front hitch/ winch mount
- rough country 2" leveling kit, rear air ride height adjustment.

things to come.
- roof rack modifications - to be stronger/ larger
- roof top tent- for sleeping away from critters
- ?? who knows?

i'll try to add photos if i can. (i'm new)

See less See more
#2 ·
here's a few pics of the front hitch. (sorry if they are bad quality, i'm new and learning how to transfer pics from phone to computer and then re-size to post on here:bonk:) I didn't like the aftermarket bolt on versions, since they were so low. I want to be able to use my winch (mounted in a removable basket on by s-10), so getting it up out of the dirt was a must. I bought the receiver tube chunk from Runnings, and put it in.
After much "take it apart to see whats inside/ put it back together" I found that the factory cross tube was directly behind the location I wanted the hitch. I wanted the hitch to come out of the black plastic part, not white, since it would be less noticeable when not used. I also made it so that it only sticks out JUST enough to get the receiver pin in.
now the factory cross tube isn't strong enough to weld to only, so I bought some 3/8" x 2" and tied it in to the frame as shown. all done, welded, painted (a light texture to match the black plastic), it's stout! no deflection, bending, twisting, NOTHING. I put a huge solid bar (3') in it, and started to lift the front end at the end of the breaker bar, and it moved up about an 1/8" with tires off the ground. Not bad in my book. I feel way more comfortable taking the wife and daughter out on logging roads exploring by ourselves knowing I have a winch for extraction if needed. Now I just have to make the extension cord for the winch (it has quick disconnects for use on front and rear of my blazer.

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
I installed the Rough Country 2" leveling kit yesterday, and raised the rear by adjusting the ride height sensors for the airbags. i think the rear could come down about 1/2" - 3/4" and it would sit level, and then ride softer in the rear. Its not bad now, but i'll see how i like it. with the lift, adjustments, and new shocks/struts front and rear, it rides a little stiffer. Not uncomfortable, but not "buick luxury car squishy" The tires on it are in great shape, so i won't upgrade size until I need to replace them.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.