How To: Add a temp / compass rear view mirror - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Appearance > Interior

Interior Interior

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:55 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Bordeaux Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
How To: Add a temp / compass rear view mirror

There have been so many questions on this and so many threads, maybe this will help someone.

[B]DISCLAIMER - I ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY TO ANY DMAGE DONE TO YOUR VEHICLE BY PERFORMING ANYTHING IN THIS HOW-TO[/B]

This How-To is designed to help you install a rear view mirror that has the temperature and compass in it if you do not have those features already. This was written based off my install on a 2006 Trailblazer LS with manual HVAC controls, as well as information from other forum members.

Here we go

1) You need to make sure you can even do this mod . Look at the back of your rear view mirror. Does it have a 16 pin plug on the back?

If no, [SIZE="5"][COLOR="DarkRed"]STOP HERE[/COLOR][/SIZE]

If yes, then keep reading.

2) Obtain new rear view mirror with compass and temperature display. I found mine on E-Bay. Keep in mind that GM used the same mirrors on MANY models, so it does not necessarily need to be from a Trailblazer. Mine was from a Silverado

The important thing is to get a mirror that matched the FEATURES your vehicle has (Onstar, Passenger side air bag indicator, integrated phone, etc.)
If you don't have Onstar or air bag indicator, you can get a mirror with those, just those features will not be operational.

3) Get other required parts.

You will need:
1 SENSOR - GM Part # 15047946
1 CONNECTOR - GMPart # 12101856
2 Female terminals -Delphi Part # 12191818
2 Cable seals - Delphi Part # 15366021 (these are available but honestly, I did not use them and have not had an issue)

In addition, you will need wire, butt end connectors or soldering iron / solder, wire loom (if desired) and basic electrical knowledge.

4) Once you have all the parts, you can begin!

Step 1: Unplug the 16 pin connector from the back of your existing mirror.

Remove mirror. There is a set screw at the base of the mirror. This is a TORX screw.

Once screw is removed, the mirror assembly should slide up and off the mount on the windshield.

Step 2: Install new mirror. Slide new mirror onto the base on the windshield and insert set screw.[B][COLOR="darkred"] DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE SET SCREW!!!![/COLOR][/B]. Connect the 16 pin connector.

At this point, if you turn the truck on the compass should work, but the temp area will read OC. OC stands for OPEN CIRCUIT and this lets you know there is an issue with the sensor or wiring to the temp sensor.

Step 3: Open Hood (duh).

Step 4. Locate the hole in the top of the radiator shroud where the sensor should go. It will be at the front of the vehicle, just about in the middle.

The sensor you buy will have a mount attached to it. It will look something like this:

The bottom part is the mount and it is NOT used in our application. You can easily remove the sensor from the mount.

Also locate the plug just behind the battery on the drivers side firewall of the truck:

Now the fun begins

Connect your temp sensor to the sensor wiring harness. The wires on the harness are only about 12 inches long. You will need to use wire and butt end connectors to extend these wires to get to the connector in the firewall. If you don't like solderless connectors, then do what you need to do.

Once that is done, you can pop the sensor to the hole in the radiator shroud. It should pop in there easily.

Once in, it should look like this:

Trailblazer -

Envoy:

Locations should be the same, pictures are for reference. Nothing needed to be removed to get to those locations.

Now that the sensor is installed, you need to connect the 2 wires you extended to the plug on the firewall. The 2 female connectors listed in the parts needed above come in here. Connect those to the ends of the wires you extended.

Then feed them up to the purple connector in the firewall.

The connector has a purple colored plastic wire seperator on the outside. If you are standing beside the driver's fender looking at the fusebox, the connector is directly in front of you, closer than the fusebox, mounted on the inner fender. Now looking at the right side of the connector (the side facing the cab), you will notice the green/black stripe and brown wire at the top of the connector. Also notice, that on the left side of the connector, you will have 2 blank places. These two blanks are where your temperature sensor wires go. Pull the two rubber plugs out and you can temporarily test your sensor here until you get your wire routed.

Once those wires are connected, the temp sensor should be operational! Those are the 2 spots needed, but in my personal experience the wire position in those 2 spots are irrelevant.

Clean up your wiring with wire loom for that factory-ish look

Chris

Thank you to MTT, APPSTATEGIRL, ROADIE, SONICAIDE and any other member whose picture or information I used. [SIZE="2"]Most pictures were mine, but some were taken from the multiple threads on this subject, as well as the internet. If I used a picture of yours that you would like removed, please PM or e-mail me and I will remove it. This is a resource only and is not to be used for any capital gain.[/SIZE]

[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2009, 10:39 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
VERY NICE!!! Needs to be an Article!

I can't wait to get my mirror so I can do this...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[B]OffRoadTB.com[/B]
Old 03-20-2009, 11:43 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silver Mist Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4

Old 03-20-2009, 12:02 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I agree!! very nice, I already have the sensor from the factory but I still enjoy reading as much about these trucks as i can! Nice work!
Old 03-20-2009, 12:14 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
thanks chris....i really want to do this mod....and now there's a how-to

Old 03-20-2009, 04:35 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordinho80 View Post
VERY NICE!!! Needs to be an Article!

I can't wait to get my mirror so I can do this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes View Post
I agree!! very nice, I already have the sensor from the factory but I still enjoy reading as much about these trucks as i can! Nice work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo03 View Post
thanks chris....i really want to do this mod....and now there's a how-to

Well thanks It was my first ever how-to, and I HAD to get it done just to show Mario I COULD finish something :dielaugh.

I think I covered everything. If it helps 1 person, it was worth it.

Chris

[/CENTER]
Old 03-20-2009, 04:48 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Thumbs up

Man that looks like it's relatively easy,I have to get me a mirrow now, I wondered if this could be done!
Old 03-21-2009, 07:57 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynch55 View Post
Man that looks like it's relatively easy,I have to get me a mirrow now, I wondered if this could be done!
In total it took about 20 minutes to complete.

Chris

[/CENTER]
Old 03-21-2009, 08:06 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Very nice write up, I better get on the phone and call some local junk yards for a mirror.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:01 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Olds Bravada
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
nice write-up!

should be an article!!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in