Fuel Injector cleaning? - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Air Induction

Air Induction Performance Air Intake/Air Induction Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:12 PM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
So, autotech, would you recommend having my injectors flushed? I have run fuel injector/system cleaner every 2k miles to boost mileage a little, and I talked to the manufacture to make sure it was ok to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2005, 10:08 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
As per GM... clean the injectors only if diagnosis indicates a problem. From October 2002 Techlink: "As with any other Multec 2, cleaning of this system is
not recommended by the manufacturer." Also from Techlink Sept 2001 article Fuel Injector Cleaning "Recent testing of cleaners and the effect they have on fuel injectors has indicated that the art of cleaning injectors has evolved into an entirely new science. Now, itís recommended that injectors be cleaned only as needed, as determined by using the Strategy Based Diagnosis procedure."
Old 09-22-2005, 08:17 PM

I thought you just put fuel injection in your gas tank that you dont have to worry about paying a mechanic that much for the fuel cleaner at an autoshop.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:49 PM

I have read all the information released by GM about flushing the fuel injectors. All I can say is that all of my customers that have the injectors flushed as preventative maintenance never come back with injector issues. GM does not advocate the flushing of injectors as preventative maintenance because they do not want to be responsible if something does get damaged. If you follow the strategy based diagnostics for rough running engine or for a code P0300 Misfire, you will be instructed to perform an injector balance test. If you were to perform this test on an engine with 20k or more miles that runs ok, but has never had the injectors flushed, you will see unbalanced fuel flow. There is a reason it is called preventative maintenance. I must have flushed 1000 vehicles worth of injectors, and I have yet to have an injector fail because of it.

I would say go ahead and have the injectors flushed as long as they are willing to back it up if something fails due to it. It is recommended that you flush the injectors with a mixture of no more than 5-10% top-engine cleaner in gasoline under relatively high pressure (about 75psi). So if the shop that wants to flush out your injectors does not have the proper fuel line shut-off valves and canister necessary to do the job properly, do not let them do it. It may be more expensive, but the dealer will back up their work, and you will be sure that they use the proper chemicals and equipment.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:07 PM

Maybe another good tip is if there is a tanker filling up the station underground tanks, go to another station. A friend told me once that when they are pumping in gas it stirs all the sediment in the tank. I don't know if this is true but it sounds logical

Good luck to all LAVABOY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Skis, fishin pole, running shoes.
MODS

Lead Lined gas pedal!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:41 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Perico
I thought you just put fuel injection in your gas tank that you dont have to worry about paying a mechanic that much for the fuel cleaner at an autoshop.
That's what i'm gonna do tomorrow. My TB's got 54K and I doubt they've been cleaned before.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST
Old 09-24-2005, 10:29 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
What I do is... monitor the short and long term Fuel Trim with my Carchip EX OBD2 data recorder. If the fuel trim starts going positive, that means the PCM is opening the injectors for a longer time duration to keep the air/fuel ratio correct. An excellent indicator of what is happening before noticeable symptoms develop. The Carchip device I have didn't cost much more than one in-shop fuel injector cleaning.

Only time I ever had an indication there was some clogging starting, I had been consistently using gasoline from Sam's Club which I concluded from the end result had the bare minimum cleaner and detergent additives to meet the EPA rules. One bottle of Chevron Fuel System Cleaner took care of that. Have since used only Shell 87 Top Tier gasoline (with my Shell 5% rebate card.. 5% adds up at 2.75 to $3 a gallon) and the Fuel trim has stayed within a few percent plus-minus zero for over two years now.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:36 PM
Northwest Chapter

not here Other AWD
Where did you get this carchip, and for how much?
Old 09-24-2005, 03:51 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Got it at AutoZone think I paid $130 or so. It "lists" for $180 from Davis Instruments the maker, but can be bought for less. Do a search or check on eBay. Last time I looked there was one or two there. If you find a used one you can go to Davis' web site and download the latest software and also update the firmware in the Carchip device to the latest version, free.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:53 PM
Northwest Chapter

not here Other AWD
Thanks man, I will look into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in