How To Install OEM Roof Rack - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Appearance > Exterior

Exterior Exterior repairs/modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:48 PM

Question How To Install OEM Roof Rack

Hi. Does anyone have any insight into what is involved with installing an OEM roof rack on a SS. I would like to buy the OEM roof rack for the Trailblazer and have it installed on my SS. It is more for appearance and I dont really think I would be using it. It just seems to me that the roof looks bare without the roof rack. You guys probably disagree with that. Has anyone tried this? Is it a huge job? Does the upholstery on the inside roof have to be removed? Any comments would really be appreciated. I do not like the aftermarket roof racks like Thule and the others I have seen online. Interested in the OEM rack for the regular trailblazer and how big a job it would be to have a body shop put it on. Thanks alot !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2007, 12:04 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Please say that you are not putting a roof rack on a SS with no intentions of ever using it. Personally, I like the look of SS without a roof rack but everyone has their own taste. I have a couple of kayaks so I would never remove my roof rack. I do not think it would be too difficult for a body shop to install one. It should be a matter of drilling the necessary holes and placeing the roof rack on. After installing the roof rack you will experience some more wind noise and a slight decrease gas mileage due to the increased air resistence.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:09 AM
TrailVoy Guru

2005 GMC Envoy Denali
Summit White 5.3L V8 4X4
Congrats on your new TB SS. And you have the new Black Granite Color

As far as the roof rack, a lot of non TB SS owners, along with other TrailVoy members, have removed the factory rack.

If I were fortunate enough to own a Black Granite, or for that matter, any color TB SS, it would never have a roof rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:13 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
If you could get ahold of a factory rack. I believe this is what you will need. As for removing the interior I would. When drilling you don't want to poke thru the headliner.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...ID=HARDNUTSERT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:15 AM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (3SS)
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Sheridan, I have a factory rack I will sell you if you're interested. I just sent you a PM. I am in Chicago and the NW Illinois 'burbs if you ever make it around here I could show it to you in person. PM me if you're interested.

-Mike
Old 12-11-2007, 07:12 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
After market roof rack is not a good idea even if it is an OEM. The mount points where the screw goes into the metal are pressed. When I took mine off I had to find a plug to put into the screw hole because they will not come out. I could have ground them down and filled then painted but the plugs seem to work. If your vehicle was designed without the racks you may not have the supports to hold the screws other than the sheet metal and if that is the case you will have constant flexing and likely leaking. Tell you what, you give me your SS and I will give you my souped up 4.2 and will put the roof racks back on for you. Well it sounded good to me!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:34 AM

OMG, please don't do it, please don't roof rack an SS, it's just not...right, oh the injustice
Old 07-18-2008, 02:25 PM

2008 GMC Envoy SLT
Steel Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Rack expert

I work for JAC (world leaders in roof racks). I would not recommend putting a factory rack on a SS. The production racks are bolted on with riv nuts. Riv nuts are put in like this. Roof sheet metal is originally made by putting hex shaped holes in the roof. SS roof panel is a different part number. The riv nuts are placed in the hex holes and tightened and is mushrooms over the top and bottom of the metal thickkness. There is also a rubber seal underneath the riv nut to seal for water. Those hex holes need to be in the exact loction or the rack will not bolt on correctly. It alot of work that has to be done right. If you get that far go and get yourself a SAAB 97x rack and through that on there. They are sweet.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:56 AM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
i was trying to hold back on a couple of threads back, but i can't no more. we have regular tb removing their roof racks , side molding and running boards to look like our ss and go as far as replacing front and back bumper covers. this is about the third thread in reference to putting a roof rack in a ss, why why why why, it's bad enough that some have the running boards in the ss.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:57 AM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Graphite Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Your truck build it your way!

This your SS so if you want a roof rack go for it. I just purcahsed my SS and pick it up in a couple of days. I asked the dealer about a rack and was qouted a price of about $1200.00 to install. It can be done if you do your research, start at your local junk yards and look for a rolled/burned TB/Envoy. most likely they are being scraped and the junk yard wont mind your removing parts to see how it was attached. Once you have an idea of how it is done and get your rack (may find one at the junk yard to remove) check with local body shops for installation. They are the pros and won't make a mess of things during install.

I plan to addd a rack to my SS as well as pull a trailer (why I bought it) and even let kids and my golden retriever ride in it. It is a truck, a hot one , but still a truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in