FINAL sway bar decision guide - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > Suspension

Suspension Suspension

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:13 AM
No longer with us

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
FINAL sway bar decision guide

This will end up being a sticky. After getting in a minor accident they had to replace the rear end which meant the sway bar too. The OEM rear sway bar is back on, and I hate it. Previous to the accident I had the Addco brand sway bar bought off ebay, and Moog end links. New sway bar purchase is in full effect. Two sets exist, a new rear bar, bushings, and replacement front bushings, or a 2 bar kit, for front and rear, replacing both bars with all new bushings. Here is what I have found out so far (price high to low):

EIBACH

They sell a kit for new front and rear apparently "tubular" bars. Comes with new bushings all the way around. Here are some stats:
This Anti-Roll-Kit fits the following application:

02-06 CHEVY Trailblazer, 2WD / 4WD - (t) 35mm (F) / (t) 32mm (R)
(Incl EXT)

02-06 GMC Envoy, 2WD / 4WD - (t) 35mm (F) / (t) 32mm (R)
(Incl XL)

(t) This Anti-Roll Bar is Tubular
Only qualified mechanics experienced in the installation and removal of suspension components should
perform this installation.

Free Shipping to Continental United States

I found this on ebay, seller ID is auto-sport-parts

PRICE: US $438.07

Gravana Tuning, a vendor here sells for less:

EIB-3826.320 Eibach 3826.320 Sway Bars - Trailblazer/Envoy/97x Sway Bar Set - Front & Rear

PRICE: US $399.99

Hellwig

I found this suspension item at JCwhitney. Not very much info on it, maybe someone can chime in.

Rear "stabilizer kit" only kit, does not say anything about it actually being an anti-roll bar. Item number ZX494857B

PRICE: US $237.99

HOTCHKIS

The thing about this is the easy-access installation page. It is a how to or DIY for any sway bar installation. http://www.hotchkis.net/files/instal...uides/2272.pdf
This kit comes with a new rear bar, rear bushings, and front bushings. No front bar included. The rear bar is 27 mm thick, and it is hollow. This seems to be a very popular package. There are many prices, here are a few.

PRICE: US $232.99
2004-up Trailblazer, Envoy Sway Bar
1-1/16'' (27mm) Hollow Rear bar This is from Jegs.com item number 515-2272.
Front And Rear Bushings. I know this can be found cheaper, in fact a vendor on this site known as Tbyrne who is currently offering a sale but can always beat the Jegs price price. Also, ebay sells for $229.95, with on average $30.00 in shipping.

BELLTECH

Belltech offers a rear bar that is greater in size than average, 29mm thick. This bar is also offered on this site. I believe this bar is also solid. I found this link via drivewire.com: http://www.drivewire.com/percatalog/...WAY%20BAR&pt=4
I believe this can be found cheaper on the trailvoy.com site via a search.

PRICE: US $187.82

ADDCO

The sway bar I originally purchased, The Addco bars are 28mm rear and 31mm front. The rear is solid. It seems any kit that does actually offer a front bar it is hollow, as is the stock one. The ebay solution at this current moment is only a front bar, with bushings(as of 2/10). I believe I paid $130.00 including shipping for my rear bar. If you Message him via ebay he will sell the front and rear bar kit for a discounted price. Ebay ID neverenough2003
here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SSR-E...spagenameZWDVW

Front Bar PRICE: US $129.00 W/ $20.00 Shipping

Overall it is hard to decide, final price shipped to me will make a big factor. The Belltech and the Addco I had seem like good options, I still would want a front bar if I got the Belltech so I would go with Addco. The Eibach kit is nice because they are the same manufacturer and are designed to go together. I think a solid rear bar is the best choice however. New end links are a must for anyone who replaces sway bars. The factory ones just are not designed for larger/stiffer sway bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 10:47 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Indi-GO Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I'm a few days late but I believe the front bar of the Eibach kit will not fit your 04 as they redesigned and relocated the bar but I think the front Addco does fit
Old 02-20-2008, 10:52 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat 4.2L I6 4X4
IMO, I'd go w/ the Hotchkis rear bar w/ the F & R bushings. Haven't seen anything but good reviews of these on this site.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:21 AM

I only use ADDCO on ALL the ones I lower. You can get the front/rear bars for 230 shipped. For the price much better deal than the hotchkis rear swaybar.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:56 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Go measure your front bar before ordering any front bar! ..... An '04 could potentially still use one of the over sized 43 or 41 mm bars, which are bigger than any of the replacements currently on the market. All you need are some firmer bushings to totally change the handling of your TB. The factory bushings are soft, REALLY SOFT, I was amazed at the difference between the stock bushing and the poly bushings in my Hotchkis kit when installing them. (Stock was like an inner tube, the poly were like a 60k mile tire in comparison).
Old 03-08-2008, 09:50 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
On '05 2wd TBs the rear stabilizer bar is 34mm. If the stabilizer bar is another name for the sway bar then why would all the aftermarket kits sell smaller sway bars than stock?

5-link solid axle, 36-mm shocks, 34-mm stabilizer bar on 2WD, 24-mm stabilizer bar on 4WD

http://media.gm.com/division/2005_pr...railBlazer.htm
Old 03-09-2008, 08:19 PM

Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylab View Post
Go measure your front bar before ordering any front bar! ..... An '04 could potentially still use one of the over sized 43 or 41 mm bars, which are bigger than any of the replacements currently on the market. All you need are some firmer bushings to totally change the handling of your TB. The factory bushings are soft, REALLY SOFT, I was amazed at the difference between the stock bushing and the poly bushings in my Hotchkis kit when installing them. (Stock was like an inner tube, the poly were like a 60k mile tire in comparison).
So did you ever change out your front sway bar w/a aftermarket one? If so, which one? Is it better to have a bigger sway bar or a smaller one for better handling? Kinda new to this...........
Old 03-09-2008, 09:05 PM

Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Is having a SOLID sway bar better than a HOLLOW one?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:51 AM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandvz71 View Post
Is having a SOLID sway bar better than a HOLLOW one?
I know for most applications it isn't. If you can get the same stiffness and flexibility from a better designed and higher quality hollow bar, then you're much better off with that due to the fact that it weighs less.

Also, just because a sway bar is smaller, doesn't mean that it will perform worse than what it is meant to replace.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:08 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black/Silver Two-Tone 4.2L I6 2WD
So, if the size of the bar isn't what matters, is there any way to determine the stiffness of the bars? Do the manufacturers publish that data?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in