my thoughts on Vector CAI - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Engine and Drivetrain > Air Induction

Air Induction Performance Air Intake/Air Induction Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:54 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
my thoughts on Vector CAI

Vector did some testing on my truck last night and with the intake it added another 12hp at the wheels on top of the Vector Tune and that was on the conservative Mustang dyno. Considering the other options or lackthereof, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Basic modifying 101 tells you to always look upgrading the intake and there's obviously room for improvement on the SS. I'm in line for that menacing black powdercoated intake as soon as it's ready in the next few weeks. thanks for everything Kirk & Chris
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2006, 03:24 PM

Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Sweet.

Are you allowed to give out the #'s?
Old 02-24-2006, 11:17 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (LT)
Silverstone Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Thats another add on to the list
[B][COLOR=#4169e1]2007 Silver TBSS - 2WD[/COLOR][/B]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2006, 04:43 PM

6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Go ahead and add me to the list too!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2006, 02:08 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Silverstone Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
how in the world did just adding a CAI gain that much?? stock setup didn't look that resrictive in the first place, we ran my stock K&N steup at the track in a vector tuned SS and it ran identical to a larger less restrictive setup?? so much for running rich and losing power, sorry for the skepticism, I just don't believe it..that's alot of hp...
Old 03-01-2006, 02:43 AM

Liquid Silver Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
I don't know, those resonators and sound baffles don't come free....I would think that some type of turbulence would be created with them, and their elimination would result in some type of gain, though I don't know how much.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:54 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGXP
how in the world did just adding a CAI gain that much?? stock setup didn't look that resrictive in the first place, we ran my stock K&N steup at the track in a vector tuned SS and it ran identical to a larger less restrictive setup?? so much for running rich and losing power, sorry for the skepticism, I just don't believe it..that's alot of hp...
Uh well it's pretty simple actually, if you took the time to look at the system you'd see a few things.

1. the use of TWO resonators, not horrible but still a restriction.

2. The INCREDIBLE neck down from the MAF to the filter, I dont have the measurements here but I believe it's OVER 1" in neck down for an incredible flow restriction.

Couple those two with the addition of smoot tubing with easier transitions to the throttle body and you've got more power.

Also if someone WAS running something larger than stock (IE the colorado filter pressed over the MAF) it was running fat as hell at the bottom and dangerously lean at the top. You need to read the whole CAI thread to understand this, this intake is coupled with a retune to put the MAF values back where they are supposed to be.

Please dont jump to conclusions; we dont just make this stuff up.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:38 AM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Indigo Blue Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBSS
I don't know, those resonators and sound baffles don't come free....I would think that some type of turbulence would be created with them, and their elimination would result in some type of gain, though I don't know how much.
In the Impy/Roadmaster LT1's with a similar airbox and baffles it was said that at least 8hp was gained by eliminating those restrictions
Old 03-01-2006, 01:56 PM

Black 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPprix
Also if someone WAS running something larger than stock (IE the colorado filter pressed over the MAF) it was running fat as hell at the bottom and dangerously lean at the top. You need to read the whole CAI thread to understand this, this intake is coupled with a retune to put the MAF values back where they are supposed to be.

That said Chris, have you noticed similar conditions resulting with the stock K&N (E-1009) replacement filter as well? I would be VERY curious to see what happens when you replace the factory filter with the correct K&N, and if tuning is necessary in that situation as well. It wouldn't suprise me if even a simple K&N was enough to whack out the MAF/Computer. So, have you seen anything like that?
Old 03-01-2006, 02:02 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
The factory replacement K&N is fine, just retains that big restriction. It DOES however (and I'm seeing this more and more) suck some oil onto the MAF for the first 1000-2000 miles or so and can skew the fueling and also the shift firmness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in