Custom CAI - Why is it not worth it - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Air Induction

Air Induction Performance Air Intake/Air Induction Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:46 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikingguy1 View Post
not at all. i have driven for an hour then poped the hood and grabbed the intake it wasnt hot at all. but they do sell an intake made out of Thermoplastic if you want.

I am sorry i can't beleive that, my intake was made of aluminum same one as the k&n, same as all the otehr ones, those thing aren't "COLD AIR INTAKES" but more like hot sucking extra gas gussling intakes, even with the best shields, if it's not getting it's air from a direct outside path, it's also useless in my opinion, i ran my logger with all three recently, my cai, the airaid and the original, winner with the coldest air was the airaid, why ? i think it has to do with the bigger pipe and that it's made out of some sort of plastic, my cai was clearly the looser here, all aluminum , that thing soaked up the engine heat like crazy, and it was shieled by the hollowed out box, then original intake system with a drop in k&n, not as much "grunt" and the butt dyno did notice a bit less torque, but then again, it might just be because of the sound...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
not at all. i have driven for an hour then poped the hood and grabbed the intake it wasnt hot at all. but they do sell an intake made out of Thermoplastic if you want.

Here's mine that i did a while back

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=P1010120.jpg
Old 07-30-2009, 06:57 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silver Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
I dont know if it is just me but if you take a look at the dyno sheet there are 2 lines...

RED is with the K&N and BLUE is stock

Starting from 3500 rpm there is already an increase in HP

the "9.29" is the PEAK HP gained at the specified 4800 rpm.

please guys try to analyze the graph first before making comments about it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 07:08 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANGGOY View Post
Please guys try not to insult the engineers before assuming we're idiots.

I thought one important part of the discussion was about intake tubes, their cross-sectional area, and turbulence caused by interior roughness.

Since the dyno chart changed both the tube and the filter from stock, there's too many variables to separate the tube effect from the filter pressure drop. An interesting chart for a discussion about tube physics would be one where that was the only changed variable. I don't think that data's been taken, but I may be wrong.

I see there's a difference even at 3500 RPM, and I can extrapolate backwards. But for me personally, I spend almost no time even at 3500 RPM, and certainly wouldn't notice 10 HP difference in the 1/2 second I might be there before a shift. Personally, I'm looking for low end torque for the trails, and good mileage for the drive to and from them. That's all. YMMV.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:28 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roadie View Post
Please guys try not to insult the engineers before assuming we're idiots.

I thought one important part of the discussion was about intake tubes, their cross-sectional area, and turbulence caused by interior roughness.

Since the dyno chart changed both the tube and the filter from stock, there's too many variables to separate the tube effect from the filter pressure drop. An interesting chart for a discussion about tube physics would be one where that was the only changed variable. I don't think that data's been taken, but I may be wrong.

I see there's a difference even at 3500 RPM, and I can extrapolate backwards. But for me personally, I spend almost no time even at 3500 RPM, and certainly wouldn't notice 10 HP difference in the 1/2 second I might be there before a shift. Personally, I'm looking for low end torque for the trails, and good mileage for the drive to and from them. That's all. YMMV.
If proving a point is insulting then I'm sorry.

1. The OP mentioned about "butt dyno" and such that is why i provided a dyno sheet.

2. After provision of the dyno sheet, a couple made a comment about who will drive their TB in 4800 rpm

Soooo... i mentioned that the HP gain is not just in 4800 rpm and above. it starts from 3500 (based from the graph)

Btw, i have a Bachelors Degree under my belt too so we are both professionals. nobody is calling anyone an idiot

Anyhow, i hope someone will provide a dyno of an intake with the K&N filter only for comparison purposes. As far as complete K&N CAI is concerned, there is in fact a HP gain even with the heat absorption.

Maybe a full CAI will be most useful for highway driving where you need some "extra" HP and torque for passing and the high air flow will help lessen the heat soak from the engine bay. IMHO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:42 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
... mentioned about "butt dyno" and such that is why i provided a dyno sheet....
Agreed. As we used to say: In God we trust - all others bring data. I still can't believe they're selling those punched aluminum disk intake airflow swirly tornado gadgets.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I dont know if it is just me but if you take a look at the dyno sheet there are 2 lines...

RED is with the K&N and BLUE is stock

Starting from 3500 rpm there is already an increase in HP

the "9.29" is the PEAK HP gained at the specified 4800 rpm.

3500 rpms....ok i'll bite, are you running 22" overall wheels on a 4.56 gear ratio ?

most of us stay in the 1700-2000 rpms, I am not saying they don't work, i'm just saying that in the "real" world they add nothing, use the 300$ on a tune or something else that will actually give you back what you spent...

Also if you look closely again, the k&n runs hotter, 81.85 for stock and 86.74
Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roadie View Post
Agreed. As we used to say: In God we trust - all others bring data. I still can't believe they're selling those punched aluminum disk intake airflow swirly tornado gadgets.

Sorry to say, but those really do work....i know a guy that saw a guy buy one and his hyunday pony made 49mpg and was doing 0-60 in 2,9 seconds...

Now if someone had two front fenders to spare, i'll gladly think of a way of adding scoops on the sides like some other have done, we just need to move that washer fluid tank somewhere else.....in the back maybe ?

i was thinking of those hoods, wich look hot btw, but i am unsure if they really do a difference
Old 07-30-2009, 09:46 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjaneiro View Post
3500 rpms....ok i'll bite, are you running 22" overall wheels on a 4.56 gear ratio ?

most of us stay in the 1700-2000 rpms, I am not saying they don't work, i'm just saying that in the "real" world they add nothing, use the 300$ on a tune or something else that will actually give you back what you spent...

that is the outside air temp. and i hit 3500 all the time when accelerating.
[/COLOR]
Old 07-30-2009, 10:35 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjaneiro View Post
most of us stay in the 1700-2000 rpms, [B]I am not saying they don't work, i'm just saying that in the "real" world they add nothing[/B], use the 300$ on a tune or something else that will actually give you back what you spent...

my friend, did you just contradict yourself in that statement? because if they work, that means they add something right?

well, i guess we just have to agree to disagree.

sorry man, but i will never agree that replacing the filter alone and hollowing out the airbox will yield better results unless i see a dyno sheet. maybe i'm used to my line of work that anything that has no research and documentation to back it up is considered "hearsay"

Quote:
that is the outside air temp. and i hit 3500 all the time when accelerating.
right and me too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in