Custom CAI - Why is it not worth it - Page 5 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Air Induction

Air Induction Performance Air Intake/Air Induction Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:55 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 bTlRaAzIeLr View Post
i know im just a new guy on here but i have been trying to do research on a few things for my trailblazer but, this ^ statement is so true. well said, well said!
I can honnestly say that the oem would probably give you more mpg, I know i saw a drop on my custom cai, and some otehr members here have chimed in stating the same with the k&n, so a cai for our truck will not show a difference or a significant one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 06:56 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silver 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
I took measurements after installing mine (didn't do any before the change). IAT measurent and coolant temp were taken by monitoring a scan tool. 1st IAT is with the tubing Insulated using "Pipe Wrap" 2nd was bare tubing.
Parameter
Coolant temp 185
DIC ambient temp - IAT Ins - IAT uns

20 min. In driveway - 84 - 125 - 130
20 min. [COLOR=Black]stop and go[/COLOR] not exceed 45 - 85 - 104 - 105
20 min. freeway between 65 to70 - 85 - 93 - 97

From the measurements it can be seen that at idle and city driving the intake air is from a hot engine compartment. That's why I said earlier and agreed that there is little to no benefit without also incorporating a "RAM Air"system.
Very true. Someone mentioned that the GM engineers designed the intake for cost, not performance/economy. It's true that vehicle design is greatly hindered by cost but the end result isn't always a failure.
Take for example the new ZR1 Corvette's intake. Ram-air intake system with a "plastic, rubbery restrictive tube" and not one of the "high performance, high flowing metal tubes" that you find on eBay and on all the rice rockets, err, "fast" cars. This car was purely designed to go fast and perform well without being hindered by cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 06:51 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANGGOY View Post
I will always believe in dyno sheets...

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...6/kndynoI6.jpg

unless someone shows me that they have an intake that will give a better result, i will stick with my K&N

btw, if someone will claim that K&N fabricated this dyno sheet, try to sue them for false advertising or something
My issue is that those dyno charts always start at around 3,500 rpm. I know people say it's hard to get results below that level, but I don't buy that excuse.

95% of my driving is below 3,500 rpm... Normally I'm around 2k. I think there is a LOSS of power down low with those aftermarket intakes -- that's why they leave that data off their charts.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:57 AM
No longer with us

2002 Locked Up Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ - Black w/
Herculiner and Rock Rash 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by P07r0457 View Post
My issue is that those dyno charts always start at around 3,500 rpm. I know people say it's hard to get results below that level, but I don't buy that excuse.
Quasi-necro thread.

On the GMT360 platform...it's most likely due to the heavy torque management that the I6 has. The throttle blades will not actually open fully until past 3000 RPM on a stock tune, foot to floor or not. On many "performance" platforms, engines generally start making power above 3000-3500 RPM. If you are looking for off-idle torque, you don't buy a CAI. You buy a bigger displacement engine, or you re-gear.

(Or, if you own a TrailVoy, you get the torque management programmed out)

On "Dyno Sheets" posted by manufacturers: You folks understand that a lot of these advertised "gains" are on motors that have supporting mods, correct? That exhaust system that gives you 30hp? Not without headers, intake and other goodies. Just because the dyno sheet says "stock" doesn't mean there isn't an unbolted exhaust or something else tricky going on.

SHORT VERSION: I'm not pointing at any specific companies, but do your own dyno testing before assuming a certain amount of "gain."

LONG VERSION:

Extreme (hypothetical) example: I build a monster heads/cam/exhaust motor that dynos say... 500 wheel HP with exposed throttle plate. Great. Now say I use the stock intake for my body style that happens to be 1" in diameter. Wow, suckage huh? I just dyno'd maybe 250 wheel HP with it on. So K&N comes along with a 4" intake for my body style. WOOHOO, back to making big power again. Let's say I dyno 485 wheel hp now with the new intake. That's a 235hp difference. So K&N gives me a free intake in exchange for using my car/truck as a "tester" and posts before and after dyno results.

Do you think a bone stock motor is going to get 235hp from this mod? Nope.

(Again, not pointing fingers specifically at K&N)
Old 05-31-2010, 12:23 PM
No longer with us

2002 Locked Up Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ - Black w/
Herculiner and Rock Rash 4.2L I6 4X4
(Feet glued to soapbox)

SHORT VERSION: Material really doesn't matter as much as you think it does.

LONG VERSION:

On aluminum vs plastic: ALL intake systems will soak heat after time. Aluminum will do it faster because, well, it's ALUMINUM. Aluminum and copper are two of the most used materials in heat sinks because they conduct heat really well. BUT, this simply means an aluminum tube will heatsoak faster (usually) than a plastic tube. Eventually they'll both get hot.

Go to a drag strip. Ignore the ricers. Watch people with actual effort into their ride, be it big displacement, forced induction or both. Many of them will do everything they can to cool down their intake tract between passes. Pushing your car up the staging lane (engine off) and bags of ice are two common tricks. Before I get mangled by someone, yes I realize not everyone buys into the icing the intake thing. I don't personally, but it's for illustration here.

"Hot Lapping" refers to hitting the staging lanes immediately after making a pass. It's a good way to have a disappointing next pass. Why? Heat soak.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:57 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by P07r0457 View Post

95% of my driving is below 3,500 rpm... Normally I'm around 2k. I think there is a LOSS of power down low with those aftermarket intakes -- that's why they leave that data off their charts.
Yes, most driving is done below 3k RPM. but why do you need extra power while going down the freeway with the cruise set. You need the power when passing/accelerating, which is done around 3,500 or higher RPM (e.g. GMs Displacement on Demand, which deactivated half the cylinders while cruising. Proving you don't need extra power while at a sustained moderate speed.)

Why has no one said this in the 6 months this post has been open? I dont mean to offend anyone but geez people.

One other thing. Dont buy so much into the K&N dyno sheet. Anything will gain power when you take a bird nest out of the air box and replace it with a new K&N CAI. Just because its stock doesnt means its not dirty.

That is all! I'm done. Thanks for reading.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:25 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Custom Paint 4.2L I6 4X4
My Custom CAI Ram Air DIY Protype Steup!

The stock K&N cone was too small so I added a bigger less restrictive cone from Spectre. I hollowed out the head lights so cold air could ram through them. I cut hood vents and took out the washer fluid box and cut the sheet metal so cold air could come straight up into the cone filter. The truck pulls hard now from the line and the engine stays cool and you can hear the filter sucking in air like crazy at wot. Works way better than just the K&N CAI by itself... a Tru custom Ram Air setup. I'll add pics from under the hood ASAP!

Attached Images

Old 03-02-2013, 05:41 AM
No longer with us

2009 SAAB BlazerOfTrails
Colour 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
I like the setup. Where are the under the hood pics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in