Calling Charlie! - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > General TrailVoy Discussion > Show and Shine

Show and Shine Talk about total vehicle care here.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-14-2005, 06:59 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black Other 2WD
Calling Charlie!

Hey man i have a event coming up this saturday and i need to get my black TB in good shape(wax job) give me the run down on some supplys i can get local like walmart or my auto store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2005, 11:15 PM

You rang, sir?

It really depends how much time you want to spend on this project, but my first inclination for a "quick and easy" clean-up would be to grab the following:

Meguiar's NXT Wash Soap
Meguiar's Deep Crystal Step 1 Cleaner
Meguiar's Deep Crystal Step 2 Polish
Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax (sub for Mother's FX or Reflections if you like) (if you have a Harley dealer in easy reach, go grab a jar of S100 paste carnauba instead, or even to put over top of the NXT/FX/Reflections sealant you apply)
Also either pick up NXT Speed Detailer or #34 Final Inspection as a QD spray you can use right before or at the event.

for Wheels/Tires, grab Eagle One "All Wheel Cleaner" (or A2Z in the orange bottle if they still have any), and dress the tires with either Meguiar's Hot Shine or NXT Insane Shine (depending on your gloss preference).

For outside trim and inside dash/controls, grab Meguiar's Natural Shine protectant/dressing. This can be cut 50/50 with water to reduce the gloss if desired. You might also want to grab a bottle of Meguiar's Interior Quik Detailer if they have it, since that works great for dusting the carbon fiber or woodgrain on the console, clear plastics, and even the dash/doors.

If you need any spot cleaning for the carpets, Turtle Wax Power OUT! should do the trick; and for windows Eagle One 20/20 will be fine.

While you're at walmart, pick up some of their Microfibers (if you don't already have any good MF toweling) or better yet head to Sam's Club and grab a pack of the blue "Hometex" MFs. Be sure to have several foam applicators on hand too.

I think that about covers it for a quick down and dirty detail. If you want to add a claybar, I'd grab either the Mother's California Gold kit, or some Clay Magic (the blue bar). Use your wash soap as a lube, not the QD spray.

Oh and I almost forgot, if you have leather get the Lexol pH cleaner and Conditioner, they're the best OTC stuff you can get.

Process I'd use is this:

1) Vacuum interior, spot clean carpets
2) Clean all interior non-upholstery surfaces (including glass) and condition/dress
3) Clean wheels and tires /w A2Z (scrub with a brush to get dirt out, then rinse)
3.5) Wash exterior /w NXT soap, dry
4) Wipe down and QD door jambs
5) Meg's Step 1
6) Meg's Step 2
7) NXT (or FX/Reflections)
8) S100 (if you get some)
9) Clean exterior windows
10) Dress exterior trim and tires
11) NXT Speed Detailer or #34
12) Head off in a shiny-azz truck

And there you have it, ladies and gentlemen, the twelve steps to recovery.... oh wait, this isn't an AA meeting.....

Now, ideally, all of that would be done with a quality machine polisher, but if you don't have one you won't be able to get all the accessories in time to do the job. However, it can all be done by hand with satisfactory results. Just be prepared for sore arms the next day Doing a truck this size even by machine can be a chore if you aren't used to it (more than my fair share of suburbans have cured me of that) let alone by hand.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:12 AM

2009 GMC Envoy SLE
Steel Gray Metallic 5.3L V8 2WD
Charlie, I noticed you picked a lot of Meguiars products. I just bought Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. It says on the bottle 1. Improved Gloss 2. Longer Lasting Beading 3. Fine Swirl Removal 4. Creates a Dazzling Durable Finish 5. Easy On, Easy Off. Anyway the reason I bought it was because it was the only bottle I found that didn't say you had to do one small section at a time. This bottle says "No need to do just one section at a time", and I like that.

My qusetion is, Is this Wax a good wax? I haven't used it yet. I was going to use it on Friday though, so my arms have time to heal before Monday.

Old 06-15-2005, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtkicker
Charlie, I noticed you picked a lot of Meguiars products. I just bought Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. It says on the bottle 1. Improved Gloss 2. Longer Lasting Beading 3. Fine Swirl Removal 4. Creates a Dazzling Durable Finish 5. Easy On, Easy Off. Anyway the reason I bought it was because it was the only bottle I found that didn't say you had to do one small section at a time. This bottle says "No need to do just one section at a time", and I like that.

My qusetion is, Is this Wax a good wax? I haven't used it yet. I was going to use it on Friday though, so my arms have time to heal before Monday.
As cleaner waxes go, it's an ok product. However, since it is intended as a one-step wax, it:

A) Won't give you very long lasting protection (a week or two at best)
B) Won't give you nearly as good of a look as doing a two or three step process on the paint, or using a product without the chemical abrasives the cleaner wax contains.

Also what is it about "no need to do just one section at a time" that you like? If all you're wanting to do is apply it to the whole vehicle and then go back and buff, that's really not making a difference anyways. Especially if you apply it too thick to begin with, it will be a pain to remove the residue haze once you get back to your starting point.

I would recommend just applying it to a panel at a time and buff it right back off. There's really no need to let a cleaner wax "haze," as you'll need to work it in to take advantage of the cleaners in it anyways. Only so much wax can stick to the surface at one time (remember this can't be layered either).

The reason I picked mostly Meguiar's stuff is because I use most of their professional line products and a few of the OTC ones as well when I detail my vehicles as well as customers vehicles. I'm familiar with how they work and feel confident that they are the best "bang for your buck" at the local auto parts store. Sure, Mothers does make some good products as well, but when it comes down to personal preference I'll grab for Meguiars every time.

Again, a multistep process would be best but that all comes down to what you're looking for in a wax and how much time you're willing to spend with the vehicle. Personally, I would consider it more advantageous to use a dedicated cleaner and polish once, then seal it with a polymer such as NXT or the pro-line Mirror Glaze #20 Polymer Sealant. That way you have protection that will last a few months so you wouldn't HAVE to worry about it unless you felt like throwing a coat on it.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:16 AM
No longer with us

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (1SS)
Red Jewel Tintcoat 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02EnvoySLE Guy
Process I'd use is this:

1) Vacuum interior, spot clean carpets
2) Clean all interior non-upholstery surfaces (including glass) and condition/dress
3) Clean wheels and tires /w A2Z (scrub with a brush to get dirt out, then rinse)
3.5) Wash exterior /w NXT soap, dry
4) Wipe down and QD door jambs
5) Meg's Step 1
6) Meg's Step 2
7) NXT (or FX/Reflections)
8) S100 (if you get some)
9) Clean exterior windows
10) Dress exterior trim and tires
11) NXT Speed Detailer or #34
12) Head off in a shiny-azz truck
HA, lucky guess... You act like you know what your talking about!!

J/K You know your stuff man!!
Old 06-15-2005, 08:18 AM

Regarding cleaning wheels - I've heard of some guys using some kind of polishing ball which is supposed to make it a lot easier?

Charlie, do you use that at all?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTREEME
Regarding cleaning wheels - I've heard of some guys using some kind of polishing ball which is supposed to make it a lot easier?

Charlie, do you use that at all?
Nope; I don't feel the need to. I use some rather strong wheel cleaners (some acid based if it's a particularly bad scenario) so I usually don't have a problem.

As for polishing them once they are clean, The OEM wheels on our trucks (and most vehicles) are clear coat painted, so you don't need that kind of power to buff on 'em. By hand with the same polish you use on the rest of the car's paint does just fine.

On aftermarket wheels, where a specialized metal polish is needed, I prefer to use my dremel tool with a foam tip for cleaning, it makes much faster work and I can get alot more precision/speed in the hard-to-reach areas. From what I've heard though the Flitz and Mother's PowerBall products do work decently. Kinda expensive though
Old 06-15-2005, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Nope; I don't feel the need to. I use some rather strong wheel cleaners (some acid based if it's a particularly bad scenario) so I usually don't have a problem.

As for polishing them once they are clean, The OEM wheels on our trucks (and most vehicles) are clear coat painted, so you don't need that kind of power to buff on 'em. By hand with the same polish you use on the rest of the car's paint does just fine.

On aftermarket wheels, where a specialized metal polish is needed, I prefer to use my dremel tool with a foam tip for cleaning, it makes much faster work and I can get alot more precision/speed in the hard-to-reach areas. From what I've heard though the Flitz and Mother's PowerBall products do work decently. Kinda expensive though
Great Idea regarding using the Dremel. I just need to find a foam tip that will work on mine. Would the local hardware stores have these?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTREEME
Great Idea regarding using the Dremel. I just need to find a foam tip that will work on mine. Would the local hardware stores have these?
I got mine from home depot; I'm sure they should have them. A cheaper solution yet is if you have a Harbor Freight Tools store around you, I found a kit full of 'em for $10 (compared to $15-20 at HD)
Old 06-15-2005, 10:36 PM

2009 GMC Envoy SLE
Steel Gray Metallic 5.3L V8 2WD
Quote:
As cleaner waxes go, it's an ok product. However, since it is intended as a one-step wax, it:

A) Won't give you very long lasting protection (a week or two at best)
Really, I did not know that. I'm glad we have experts on this forum. Thanks for the info Charlie, I'm going to take this wax back tomorrow and get the Deep Crystal Step 1 Cleaner, Step 2 Polish, and NXT Tech Wax tomorrow.

If I'm going to wax it I don't want it to come right off, so I may as well spend the money and do it right the first time.

Quote:
Also what is it about "no need to do just one section at a time" that you like? If all you're wanting to do is apply it to the whole vehicle and then go back and buff, that's really not making a difference anyways.
I just thought it would work better the longer it stayed on the car. I guess I was wrong.

Once again Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in