Trailblazer SS Seat Alignment - Please Respond! - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Appearance > Interior

Interior Interior repairs/modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: I have noticed the following with my Trailblazer SS seating:
Driver's seat leans downward toward the right, such that my body tilts toward the center of the car 6 16.67%
Driver's seat is aligned toward the right of the vehicle but the steering column comes from the left 4 11.11%
Driver's seat bottom side bolsters are uneven; the left side has more padding and the right has less 4 11.11%
Driver's seat back is turned 15-20 degrees clockwise, my right shoulder is further back than my left 4 11.11%
Driver's seat back tilts toward the door - the right bolster is in the middle of my shoulder blade 4 11.11%
Driver's seat back side bolsters are uneven - the left side has more padding and the right has less 2 5.56%
I have to awkwardly tweak my right leg and foot leftward to properly access the gas and brake pedals 3 8.33%
While taking a left turn, I have to brace my right forearm on the console due to a lack of support 5 13.89%
I experience physical pain or discomfort as a result of one or more of the problems outlined above 5 13.89%
I have noticed the issues above and they do not bother me, or I have not noticed the issues above 27 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2006, 08:51 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Liquid Silver Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Trailblazer SS Seat Alignment - Please Respond!

This is a very detailed poll and I ask that everyone that participates in it be as precise, thorough and honest as possible in responding. Please take your time. If you don't have all of the information right now to complete the poll properly, please take the necessary time to go and gather the data before you respond.

This seating issue has been acknowledged by GM's Tech Support in an informal manner, but as of yet they are not taking any action to resolve it. The purpose of this poll is to gather data such that GM can see how widespread this issue is (or is not), and if it does turn out to be a significant problem, perhaps give them an incentive to correct it.

Some people have been reporting back and neck pain when driving their TBSS, such that they cannot drive for any considerable length of time without suffering as a result. Some have consciously, physically moved themselves out of the driver's seat in some manner in order to align themselves with the steering wheel.

Still others have gone so far as to remove the seat and install shims on the mounting bolts to correct what appears to be poor seat design or construction. I would encourage you to think twice before doing something such as this, simply because if you raise or move a seat off of its rails, you change the shear force required to tear the seat off the rails in the event of a crash. In effect, you alter the safety of the vehicle, and not for the better.

Before you respond to this poll, I ask that you sit in you TBSS and also drive it around, being fully conscious of what you are doing to align yourself into a safe and comfortable driving position. You may want to print this poll out and have it with you when you take note of your seating and driving positions. Then when you come back to respond, you will have good data.

What some of you may find is that you actually have these problems with your seats, but you are unconsciously compensating for these issues by tilting your body and moving around in your seat in order to align yourself properly. I encourage you to take the time to examine the way you are seating and bracing yourself in order to see if you have these issues.

What may be happening is that some TBSS's are getting one type of seat, while other TBSS's are getting another type of seat. There were some supplier issue early in production, but this may or may not have something to do with differences in seats. If there are different seats, this poll should unconver this fact and give those with the inferior seats a course of action. Likewise, even if you have corrected for this issue (i.e. using shims), please respond to the poll as if you had not already made the correction.

If you have any data or information that are not covered by the poll questions, or if you have other general comments about TBSS seating, please feel free to post here in this thread in addition to replying to the poll.

Thanks for taking the time to participate!
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2006, 09:03 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Man I'm sorry to hear this is STILL an issue for you I hope everything gets resolved or they buy your truck back..
Old 04-08-2006, 09:53 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (LT)
White 402ci Other AWD
wouldn't this apply to all trailblazers? the only difference is the seat cover, you know....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2006, 10:09 PM

Silverstone Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
My seating position in my SS is the same as in my '02 LT.

Never had any awkward feeling or discomfort in either vehicle. (80k miles on our '02, with multiple 6+ hr drives).

The seats, seating positions, occupant H-points, seatback angles, seat-track angles, etc. are all thoroughly designed in basically every vehicle on the road. Honestly, I believe one of two things has happened - your seatframe was "tweaked" prior to installation into your SS, or unfortunately you have the body build/frame that just will not feel comfortable in a TB, SS or not.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:25 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (LT)
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02redhawk

Never had any awkward feeling or discomfort in either vehicle. (80k miles on our '02, with multiple 6+ hr drives).

The seats, seating positions, occupant H-points, seatback angles, seat-track angles, etc. are all thoroughly designed in basically every vehicle on the road. Honestly, I believe one of two things has happened - your seatframe was "tweaked" prior to installation into your SS, or unfortunately you have the body build/frame that just will not feel comfortable in a TB, SS or not.
He's not alone. Mine is wonky too.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:35 PM

Liquid Silver Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjam
wouldn't this apply to all trailblazers? the only difference is the seat cover, you know....
I understand, but at this point I am only looking at the TBSS. If it looks like there is a corresponding issue with all other Trailblazers and/or Envoys, let's start another thread with a poll in the correct section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02redhawk

I have had at least 5 other people PM me saying that they have noticed issues as well with their seats, to the point of discomfort and pain. Two people that I know of have shimmed their seats to correct poor design. So, like you said, I may be someone who has a particular build that doesn't lend itself to TB/Envoy seating, but there are clearly others.

Another thing I want to get clarity on with this poll is people who have noticed these issues, but perhaps are not suffering any physical problems as a result of them. This could indicate poor seat design, but poor design that only affects a small portion of the ownership population....however, 5% of 5,000 is still 250 people, and that's a lot of people to be having problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBSSTony
He's not alone. Mine is wonky too.
Please vote!
Old 04-08-2006, 10:51 PM
No longer with us

2011 Chevy Tahoe
Mocha Steel Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
ya know...mine isn't an SS, its an 04 LS. The driver seat is fine. The passangers seat is unbearable though. My wife always complained on long trips. I just ignored her. Then I had to ride there on a trip with her. She is right. The seat is kinda twisted toward the center. After an hour I was squirming around trying to be comfortable. I thought it must just be a TB quirk. May not be just an "SS" thing. I know in a non SS it is much easier to change positions to get comfy (less side bolstering in the way), maybe some of us just haven't paid attention to how we sit.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjam
Not entirely true man, the SS has slightly higher bolsters too.

And, sorry to hear about the guys with this problem. Nothing like a good seating issue in a brand new truck, huh?
Hope it gets resolved for you all!
Old 04-09-2006, 06:56 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
My only problem in my 05 LS is when I have to lay the rear seat down to get stuff in the back, there is no way to get the front seats back to normal position and I have to drive cramped up. The front seats will not go back all the way due to rear seats folded down. Good luck with your seats. I think the seats and how comfortable your vehicle is will determine if you buy another one of the same vehicle. Some vehicles I sat in made me say no right away because of the seats.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:41 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Summit White 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
My truck was built march 20/2006.I think these have been the most comfortable seats I've had in a vehicle.I just wish it had more bolster to hug you more.My seats are straight and no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in