02 Envoy Air Suspension: nothing - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > Suspension

Suspension Suspension

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:54 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
02 Envoy Air Suspension: nothing

I have been searching and find lots of issues with these air suspensions but none of them are like my issue.

Just today I realized I don't hear the air suspension when I turn the the Envoy on. The rear looks a little low, not too low though.

I think I checked the right fuse (ECAS under hood). But my issue is it doesn;t seem like it is working at all. I read a lot of issues about air leaking.

Any quick suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 09:51 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Does it run when you turn on the manual switch and connect the hose like you're going to inflate a beach ball with the system? Do you have a meter and want to trace electrical connections?

Old 05-01-2010, 10:32 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
The inflation system does not work at all, the light never turns on.

I do not have a meter, but I can pick one up if I knew what to do with it.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:26 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
You might need a friend or a mechanic with some electrical troubleshooting experience and access to the schematics. No other quick suggestions come to mind when you have either a dead compressor (big $$) or a wiring harness issue.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:17 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 2WD
Compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz369 View Post
I have been searching and find lots of issues with these air suspensions but none of them are like my issue.

Just today I realized I don't hear the air suspension when I turn the the Envoy on. The rear looks a little low, not too low though.

I think I checked the right fuse (ECAS under hood). But my issue is it doesn;t seem like it is working at all. I read a lot of issues about air leaking.

Any quick suggestions?
You can look under the back of the car, there are some rubber bump stops. Is the chassis bottomed, laying on the bump stops, or is it above that?
If it's not laying all the way down you have air in your air springs.

The compressor is the only way it could have gotten there. So either the compressor isn't working however there are NO LEAKS at all and there is some amount of air trapped there, which seems hard to believe, or the compressor is working at some point.

By the inflator switch there is a valve stem. Push on the shrader valve and air should come out if there is pressure in the system. If you push the shrader valve and NO air comes out then your rear suspension must be bottomed against the bump stops.

But you say it's not too low. That sounds odd.

The height of the rear is called D Height.

I posted the troubleshooting info for this problem here.
https://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=72264
Read in section 1 about how to measure the D Height. Section 2 contains troubleshooting for the compressor and the height sensors.

It's either bottomed, or not and air is somehow staying in the system, or it's working.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:07 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Okay, it would appear that it has bottomed out. The back is super bouncy. I am not in front of it right now to see the bump stops but I am pretty sure it has bottomed out.

I read the other thread and this seems way too difficult for me to try to diagnose and I don't know anyone that would be able to help me.

So online the compressor is around $430. If I was to bring it in what would I be looking at for total cost? Is the dealer the best place to go? Anyone have experience with dealer letting them bring their own parts in and the dealer does the labor?

I just want to be able to not get ripped off and I don't think I can do this myself.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:09 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
I would say it's probably not a leak since the wife said it hasn't worked for 30+ days now. the only thing that happened is I put 200lbs in the back and thats when I started to notice it.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:19 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 2WD
If it's bottomed out and has no air in the air springs the ride will be very bouncy and uncomfortable.

I don't think there is any way you wouldn't notice it.

That car is supposed to be high in the back, if it's level front to back that's not right.

Mine was flat, no air at all after being parked and if I didn't wait for the compressor to pump it up for a few seconds, about 30 or 40, it was really rough. Mine did hold air while driving but the compressor was likely running too much. So that had to be fixed.

When you turn on the key, if the suspension needs air in the back the compressor will start. It's in the back, you can hear it plainly, especially if the engine isn't running.

Is the ECAS compressor running or not? You can test this by pushing in the shrader valve in the inflator, and it should definitely go on if you let the air out. You can see the car raising.

If the compressor isn't going on fix that first. If your compressor is unplugged, or has a blown fuse or something, buying a new one won't help.

If the compressor is going on but isn't raising the back of the car you have a leak.

You have to find out which it is. Throwing money at it and buying new parts is not the way, unless they are very cheap parts like the check valve I put in. I may not have needed it but for $28, what the heck.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:47 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Okay so are you saying if the compressor never turns on it might not be the compressor that is bad?

1. ECAS Fuse under hood is good
2. Inflator does not work at all (Light never turns on)
3. Back is bottomed out
4. Never hear the compressor run anymore

I have no idea how to check if it is unplugged and not sure how that would happen. Is there any other fuse to check?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:08 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz369 View Post
Okay so are you saying if the compressor never turns on it might not be the compressor that is bad?

1. ECAS Fuse under hood is good
2. Inflator does not work at all (Light never turns on)
3. Back is bottomed out
4. Never hear the compressor run anymore

I have no idea how to check if it is unplugged and not sure how that would happen. Is there any other fuse to check?
So you know the compressor used to run?

BTW, when you click the inflator switch, the bottom part of the switch is what pushes in and makes it go on. Not the top. It's a momentary type switch, you push once for one once for off.

There are several plugs that connect to the compressor, there are three technical bulletins I posted in that other thread. There is troubleshooting info in pt2, I think. Connect a wire from here to there, and the compressor starts.

Since you can't replace that compressor without unscrewing the two bolts and lowering it down you might as well just unscrew the two bolts and check it out. The problem may be obvious at that point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in