[SOLVED] Code P0171 after changing my spark plugs. - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Air Induction

Air Induction Performance Air Intake/Air Induction Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:26 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
P0171 Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack0723 View Post
Hello all. I just want to share my experience with code P0171 in hopes it helps other out there with the same situation.

This past week, the temp in New York was down between 2F and 5F in the morning, reaching a balmy 15F in the afternoon. That particular day my wife came home from work and told me a yellow light on in the dash came on and the engine was running rough. Sure enough it was the check engine light. I scanned the PCM and found the code P0171 for lean mixture. I did the obvious looking for vacuum leaks, sprayed the intake listening for a RPM change and watching the LTFT, but found nothing. Long story short, I cleaned the MAF and the fuel trims changed for the better - temporarily - so I replaced the MAF. Same problem. Next was the O2 sensor since it seemed slow switching and was not reaching more than 700 mv. I also cleaned the throttle body and plate - still no change. I searched online and found MANY reason and fixes, the one most common being loose intake manifold bolts. Since I already sprayed the intake connections with carb cleaner before, I didn't consider this a problem, but not wanting or liking to just throw (more) parts at it I decided to check the bolts. First, they are not easy to get to, but well worth checking, as most were loose. The last one on cylinder #6, which is the hardest to access was the loosest. I couldn't actually see it, but it was unthreaded at least 1/8". After tightening all the bolts (no I didn't torque them), I started the engine and monitored the LTFT's and they dropped like a rock. I will replace the intake gasket once the weather changes, but for now, the readings are good enough to leave it alone. LTFT readings before the fix were between 12% and 17% at idle, and around 9% when cruising. Readings now are around 7-8% at idle and drifting between 2% to -4% while crusing. I hope this information helps someone out there.

Jack
Thanks for the info, I've been dealing with this code for 6 months, cleaned the MAF, air tube, filter box, changed the O2 sensor, had the injectors cleaned and even once it showed cyl 6 being a problem so I switched the coil pack, still same light. I'll check the intake bolts tomorrow. The vehicle has always ran very well, gas mileage is down and this light constantly comes on and off. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in