Opinions on resonator delete - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Engine and Drivetrain > Exhaust Mods

Exhaust Mods Performance Exhaust Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-ROB View Post
What about removing the muffler and keeping the resonator instead?? Thats the way I went with mine. Nice sound at idle and just loud enough when you give it some gas.

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...ONYpics159.flv
How are you getting by the emmisions tests? I assumed with no muffler that they would fail it. Oh, and howdy neighbor. I'm about 25 minutes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 10:54 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Summit White 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crummy View Post
How are you getting by the emmisions tests? I assumed with no muffler that they would fail it. Oh, and howdy neighbor. I'm about 25 minutes away.

SShhhh....... I think there was something in the inspection guys eye when he looked under it!! Which direction 25 minutes away are you?!?!??!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:40 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
no resonator with a cobrapack chambered muffler.

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...t=Photo001.flv

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...t=DSCN1512.flv

total price..$190.00 bucks labor and all.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:10 AM

I deleted the resonator and the muffler shop re-used the stock tip, total cost was $50.00. As Fishunter said, ther is a drone at about 55 to 60 mph, above or below that speed there is no drone, it's way louder at wot, and the best part is it lets it sound like a LS2 should!!

The down side is, it decreases the "stealth" factor, when you floor it it's a lot louder than stock. I noticed NO power gain (did'nt expect one).

The muffler is still there so I would be suprised if there were any problems passing an emissions test, mine passed with NO problems, emissions tech did'nt even mention it. Go for it!
Old 01-07-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
SShhhh....... I think there was something in the inspection guys eye when he looked under it!! Which direction 25 minutes away are you?!?!??!
Southwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtbss View Post
I deleted the resonator and the muffler shop re-used the stock tip, total cost was $50.00. As Fishunter said, ther is a drone at about 55 to 60 mph, above or below that speed there is no drone, it's way louder at wot, and the best part is it lets it sound like a LS2 should!!

The down side is, it decreases the "stealth" factor, when you floor it it's a lot louder than stock. I noticed NO power gain (did'nt expect one).

The muffler is still there so I would be suprised if there were any problems passing an emissions test, mine passed with NO problems, emissions tech did'nt even mention it. Go for it!
Thanks for the input.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:35 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

NA NA NA
NA Other AWD
they test sound on your guyses emissions tests?

a muffler is only really used for sound supression, not emissions (thats what the catalytic converter is for)
Old 01-07-2008, 09:03 AM

I did the muffler delete, and love it. She sounds pretty mean, but not crazy loud. Louder then the resonator delete though, that's for sure.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostee View Post
they test sound on your guyses emissions tests?

a muffler is only really used for sound supression, not emissions (thats what the catalytic converter is for)
They just began stiff emisions tests here. It's all kind of new. Just CYA. I don't forsee any problem with it but there could be the occasional butthole.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:24 PM

I agree with Frostee, the muffler and resonator is noise control only, removal of either (or both if you wanna get really nutz) should not create any emmissions issues.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:39 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (LT)
Summit White 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Quote:
What about removing the muffler and keeping the resonator instead?? Thats the way I went with mine. Nice sound at idle and just loud enough when you give it some gas.

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...ONYpics159.flv
NICE launch!

what did you run in that clip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in