Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

FINAL sway bar decision guide

61K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  Manny813 
#1 ·
This will end up being a sticky. After getting in a minor accident they had to replace the rear end which meant the sway bar too. The OEM rear sway bar is back on, and I hate it. Previous to the accident I had the Addco brand sway bar bought off ebay, and Moog end links. New sway bar purchase is in full effect. Two sets exist, a new rear bar, bushings, and replacement front bushings, or a 2 bar kit, for front and rear, replacing both bars with all new bushings. Here is what I have found out so far (price high to low):

EIBACH

They sell a kit for new front and rear apparently "tubular" bars. Comes with new bushings all the way around. Here are some stats:
This Anti-Roll-Kit fits the following application:

02-06 CHEVY Trailblazer, 2WD / 4WD - (t) 35mm (F) / (t) 32mm (R)
(Incl EXT)

02-06 GMC Envoy, 2WD / 4WD - (t) 35mm (F) / (t) 32mm (R)
(Incl XL)

(t) This Anti-Roll Bar is Tubular
Only qualified mechanics experienced in the installation and removal of suspension components should
perform this installation.

Free Shipping to Continental United States

I found this on ebay, seller ID is auto-sport-parts

PRICE: US $438.07

Gravana Tuning, a vendor here sells for less:

EIB-3826.320 Eibach 3826.320 Sway Bars - Trailblazer/Envoy/97x Sway Bar Set - Front & Rear

PRICE: US $399.99

Hellwig

I found this suspension item at JCwhitney. Not very much info on it, maybe someone can chime in.

Rear "stabilizer kit" only kit, does not say anything about it actually being an anti-roll bar. Item number ZX494857B

PRICE: US $237.99

HOTCHKIS

The thing about this is the easy-access installation page. It is a how to or DIY for any sway bar installation. http://www.hotchkis.net/files/installation_guides/2272.pdf
This kit comes with a new rear bar, rear bushings, and front bushings. No front bar included. The rear bar is 27 mm thick, and it is hollow. This seems to be a very popular package. There are many prices, here are a few.

PRICE: US $232.99
2004-up Trailblazer, Envoy Sway Bar
1-1/16'' (27mm) Hollow Rear bar This is from Jegs.com item number 515-2272.
Front And Rear Bushings. I know this can be found cheaper, in fact a vendor on this site known as Tbyrne who is currently offering a sale but can always beat the Jegs price price. Also, ebay sells for $229.95, with on average $30.00 in shipping.

BELLTECH

Belltech offers a rear bar that is greater in size than average, 29mm thick. This bar is also offered on this site. I believe this bar is also solid. I found this link via drivewire.com: http://www.drivewire.com/percatalog/Dynamic.aspx?year=2004&PartID=1585N0084&Part=SWAY BAR&pt=4
I believe this can be found cheaper on the trailvoy.com site via a search.

PRICE: US $187.82

ADDCO

The sway bar I originally purchased, The Addco bars are 28mm rear and 31mm front. The rear is solid. It seems any kit that does actually offer a front bar it is hollow, as is the stock one. The ebay solution at this current moment is only a front bar, with bushings(as of 2/10). I believe I paid $130.00 including shipping for my rear bar. If you Message him via ebay he will sell the front and rear bar kit for a discounted price. Ebay ID neverenough2003
here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SSR-...021QQitemZ310020768101QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Front Bar PRICE: US $129.00 W/ $20.00 Shipping

Overall it is hard to decide, final price shipped to me will make a big factor. The Belltech and the Addco I had seem like good options, I still would want a front bar if I got the Belltech so I would go with Addco. The Eibach kit is nice because they are the same manufacturer and are designed to go together. I think a solid rear bar is the best choice however. New end links are a must for anyone who replaces sway bars. The factory ones just are not designed for larger/stiffer sway bars.

See less See more
#5 ·
Go measure your front bar before ordering any front bar! ..... An '04 could potentially still use one of the over sized 43 or 41 mm bars, which are bigger than any of the replacements currently on the market. All you need are some firmer bushings to totally change the handling of your TB. The factory bushings are soft, REALLY SOFT, I was amazed at the difference between the stock bushing and the poly bushings in my Hotchkis kit when installing them. (Stock was like an inner tube, the poly were like a 60k mile tire in comparison).

#9 ·
I know for most applications it isn't. If you can get the same stiffness and flexibility from a better designed and higher quality hollow bar, then you're much better off with that due to the fact that it weighs less.

Also, just because a sway bar is smaller, doesn't mean that it will perform worse than what it is meant to replace.

#11 ·
I'm using the stock 43mm bar on my '02, but with the replacement poly bushings from the Hotckis kit.......those bushings make a HUGE difference in lean and really firm up the front end.

Generally, a good hollow bar will perform equal to a solid bar of the same thickness. The thicker the bar, the less flex and better control you have in general. - Which is why most of the aftermarket rear bars are thicker than the stock unit. In the back, there isn't a whole lot of room to increase thickness, but some increase is possible. The bushings play a big part of how rigid the suspension will be and most of the aftermarket bars include poly busings as opposed to rubber. (The stock bushings are softer rubber, actually VERY soft rubber, to give a more comfortable ride).

#18 ·
It does not, in any way, effect the ride height of the vehicle when not in motion. It reduces roll (side to side movement off of a flat, horizontal line), by connecting the rear axle to the frame with a slightly flexible bar and movable end-links. A heavy duty or sport rear sway-bar will reduce roll in the rear of the vehicle. It will not effect ride height.

#22 ·
I have over 90,000 mi on my 2003 TB and the swaybar end links were changed around 50,000 by the dealer and were getting poor! The back ones were never changed out till now with over 90,000 on them and they were making noise they were so loose! I ended up putting the Maxlinks all around and all I can say this was the best thing you can do for your TB don't wast your money on the other links! Go Maxlinks all around! Eddie!

#25 ·
I'm going to resurrect this thread. I have a 2002 LS and I have always hated the body roll! I am thinking about finally doing something about it! How hard are these installs? Is it a basic bolt on in the garage via sockets/impact wrench and a jack type deal?

I see some just do the bushings up front and bar and bushings out back. Guess I need to do some more research but if anyone has comments, thoughts, or links I'd like to see and hear them :).

#28 ·
Hotchkis

I have the Hotchkis Kit - rear sway bar and bushings on order. $260.00 including shipping from Summit. Local mechanic with lift will install. Front bar is already oversize so no need to replace that. Soooo ready for it!:drool Will update after the install.;)

#36 ·
:thumbsup:Hotchkis rear sway bar and MAXX links are installed. No more Grandma's Caddy! Rides rock solid, almost like my old Firebird. Wow!:woohoo:
Ive hated the body roll on mine since I got it...

I've changed sway bars on other vehicles and it changes them completely.

I used Hellwig on my Trucks but they dont seem to be making a bar for Envoys any more.

Going to have to do new tires and wheels really soon. May just go ahead and swap the bar out while I'm under there.

Thanks for your info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.