Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Key won't come out of the ignition!

143K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  bobert1957.bi 
#1 ·
I had this problem months ago but then my key would go in to the ignition but it wouldn't turn to start the trailblazer. Now tonight, I can't take the key out of the ignition. I've wiggled the key, turned the wheel, everything like that! I need a cheap quick fix!! Help please!!!!!!!!

#2 ·
Trailblazers are notorious for bad ignition switches. Thinking your are gonna have to replace it. Try turning it on and off a few times, and put the vehicle in gear, then out. All the basics, beyond that, get a chair and sleep with it til you can take it to the dealer.:cool:

#3 ·
Batt dead or system malfunction - removing the key

Don't know if the later year models have this little undocumented "feature" or not, but on my 2002, there is an access hole covered with a plug on the steering column (subject of an early recall) .

Pry out that plug with an Xacto knife or other suitable tool, and press the silver button behind it. This will manually override the interlock mechanism and allow removal of the key. I have used this a couple of times when the battery was dead and I didn't notice it until I put the key in and turned it.

I know of one person with a 2003 Envoy that had to get the shifter ass'y replaced to fix this problem. Apparently had a bad switch that was part of the whole assembly, which intermittently wasn't working properly when placed in Park.

#5 ·
Brew said:
It sounds like you have an intermitten problem with the park/neutral switch,thats usually the case for keys stuck in the ignition.
From what I recall the park/neutral switch is part of the shifter assembly and not available seperately. The one I know of was replaced in warranty. The switch was bad and they replaced the whole shifter ass'y. Don't know if the switch itself is serviceable.

#13 ·
park/neutral switch 2004 Trailblazer

Experiencing problem with shift selector not engaging the park/neutral switch. I can reach in with a pair of needlenose pliers and pull up on it and the key releases then. How can I repair this? I can even figure out how to remove the counsole to get to it in the first place.

#8 ·
My 06 Denali had the problem and they had to replace the shifter assy. Depress the switch a few times on the tranny's lever. Since it took around 3 weeks to get the part, it took me over a month of getting out of the habit of hitting the switch every time I wanted to get the key out of the ignition.

#9 ·
Key won't come out of ignition!!!

I have the same problem, my key is stuck in the ignition of my 2003 TB and I can't turn my truck all the way off (stuck on acc)...and along with this problem I also noticed that I can move my gear shifter back and forth without my foot having to be on the brake. I wonder what this problem could be and if it's a major one! Right now my main concern is, is there anyway possible I can remove my key from the ignition until I can get the secondary problem fixed...

#10 ·
I have the same problem, my key is stuck in the ignition of my 2003 TB and I can't turn my truck all the way off (stuck on acc)...and along with this problem I also noticed that I can move my gear shifter back and forth without my foot having to be on the brake. I wonder what this problem could be and if it's a major one! Right now my main concern is, is there anyway possible I can remove my key from the ignition until I can get the secondary problem fixed...
I am also having the same problem,Has anyone got a cheap quick fix until we get the other problem fixed? Thanks in advance

#12 ·
Already done that!

:chillpill:

I have already replaced the ignition switch! some of the other posters have said it may be the park/neutral switch, They said the whole shifter assembly needed to be replaced in order to fix that. So i was wandering if there is an easy fix for the here and now until i can get the other fixed.

#14 · (Edited)
Key Stuck in ignition

I had this problem over the weekend, but my trailblazer was running and the key would not turn backwards to turn the engine off. Long story, but I finally took the cover off the steering column and disconnected all the wires going to the ignition switch. This is when I found this piece on the dash side of the ignition switch. When I took it off it appeared that the plastic nozzle that when in the ignition switch had a piece of metal in it that looked broken. So I tilted my steering wheel up and beat on it a little and then my key turned freely. So, I need to know what this piece is and a part number for it. I can't find it on any auto parts websites. this site has a picture of the same piece I took out of my trailblazer.
Thanks!

#15 ·
key stuck and cant remove

Hello everyone in trailvoy world I have been reading the forums and they have been a lot of help and ty. The problem im having with my 2003 envoy is the key stays in the ignition and wont come out been trying everything and one thing had worked out pushing the shifter hard into park and then I am able to turn the key all the way to remove the key. Plz give more info on this issue and ill also keep everyone posted on my issue.

#19 · (Edited)
Key stuck temp fix

I'm also working on the key wont remove. After having to jump my TB and letting it run for 3 hours I finally found out how to remove the stupid key. Please spread it everywhere. To simply remove key while your are trying to fix this issue. do this: look under the keyhole you should be able to find a U shaped spot (laying down U shape on mine), that looks like a plug, it is. Pull it out you should now see a button coming down, mine is gold color. Push it up and turn off key. Leave it open, the plug, as this will keep you going until fixed.

The switch that tells the vehicle that it is in park is one thing it can be. It's easiest problem to fix not necessarily your problem as it is not mine (I don't think). If anyone knows how to properly check this switch please add on. My guess is that if you push your stick in park and you hear the locks cycle then this switch is good. If not then it might be stuck which may have happened due to junk, dirt, soda, or coffee spills.

Please do yourself a huge favor and clean up any mess that you encounter as you go no matter how small. If you get that "no big deal" mess in anything else you may regret the problems it may cause.

1- remove the shift handle, there is a small hole somewhere on the hard vertical part of the handle. My handle hole is on the driver side and it had a small torque screw...loosen/not remove you don't want to look for it. pull off handle grab back side of the boot at the same time and pull it up and forward at the same time.
2 - remove the console. -1- remove six cross point screws A. two under the front two cup holders rubber B. lift the console lid and remove the front two cross point screws in the front of the bucket C. remove two under the bucket rubber mat (hard to see this mat so if you can't see the screws the mat is still there, use a flat screw driver and put at any side and drag it to pull it up)
-2- pull parking brake handle move it in any direction needed to wiggle out the console -3- lift he whole console and wiggle just to be sure it is loose -4- lift the back of the console and you will see a plug on the passenger side with a purple lock. To remove this lock grab the sides opposite the purple handle and squeeze to release and turn the purple handle and separate the . -5- now its just a matter of wiggle and lift and move left or right until it's free and remove. -6- at this point you should be able to see a black box that has a button sticking out of the passenger side. This is the switch that tells the truck that it is in park, push the button and see if it springs out when you let go several times. Then look between the shift stick and the switch to see if you can see a small white plastic piece maine is about 1/4" (like I said it's small) If both are fine I'm assuming that it is ok. If not it is stuck inside the switch and it needs to be replaced. The good news is its fairly easy to remove. If you look into the shaft slot you should be able to see two torque screws one front the other aft. the aft is the more difficult. Use use screw driver (torque) to unscrew the front IMPORTANT don't remove by hand if it falls you will not be happy. Once loose remove with a magnet-on-a-stick. then loosen the rear screw and remove with magnet. then it will wiggle out the passenger side. When you install please do in reverse line up the holes in the front and place the screw in the hole with the magnet. Careful when tightening, don't strip it, then line up the rear and repeat.

Use reverse to reinstall and follow the step and don't forget to plug in wires.

This is where I am at; I will update when I find out what is wrong. :bonk:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.