Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

BartonMD Skids, Bumpers, and other work Pic thread

30K views 51 replies 20 participants last post by  bradk314 
#1 · (Edited)
I would like to personally thank Mr. Barton for all the help with getting my truck to where it is and what it is capable of. It has been great working together and helping you out. To think I just asked about you getting me a steel channel to make a bumper has evolved into the works of art going on all the trucks lately...

People post up your pics of what you have from the Master of the Metal...

I can start... What I have is the steel oil skid, the original prototype radiator skid, the first prototype 3 inch body lift bumper...now with wings.., a folding tire carrier we made from a fixed mount one I had, and my Trail Gear sliders have been installed by Mike. They are on plates wrapping the frame and triple gusseted. He also helped me out with cutting my rear brushguard and adapting it to fit with the bodylift. All this stuff works extremely well and anyone venturing offroad should invest in some of this Armor.

Pics...
Bumper with shackle mounts and some lights I added

You can see the skids here

Folding Rear Tire Carrier

Bumper and skid shot

Sliders are shown here

Sliders and wings on the bumper...

Rear brushguard cut and rewelded and fitting nicely

The package at work..

See less See more
#10 ·
Thanks! They're right as wide as the widest part of the door, and they're 2"x6"x3/16" boxed rectangle tube, on ~9.5" (IIRC) 2"x2"x1/4" struts, that are on 3/16" thick load spreading plates, gusseted and welded to the frame. I've come down pretty hard on stuff and they haven't bent or anything...

Mike

#15 ·
I think everything is awesome too. I do have a couple of general questions though. One involves the grinding. It was mentioned in another thread:

You will need to grind the top of the bumper-bolt sleeve in the frame to be flush with the top of the frame. This provides a steadier mounting surface, and stops the bumper from being able to tip. If you need to go back to stock, you can just put (2) 1/2" washers on top of the frame right there, and your stock bumper support will go right back on.

Can you provide a pic of what section would need to be grinded off?

Also, how much would it cost to ship a bumper. A rough estimate quote like West coast California, east coast, Central, etc. About how much does it weigh?

#16 ·
I don't have a pic, because I didn't take one of mine before I ground it off.

The stock bumper bolts go through a sleeve that's welded into the frame. This sleeve extends up from the top and down from the bottom of the bumper about 1/4"... You just need to grind this sleeve flat with the top of the bumper, is all...

To ship one to TX, I would guess in the $160 range... I haven't shipped one yet, to know exactly what the packaging ends up, etc... They weigh ~80-95#, depending on options.

Thanks,
Mike

#17 · (Edited)
Don't have a pic of what needs to be grinded off, but you know the two bolts that hold on the steel bumper reinforcement?

Well if you took out those two bolts and took off the steel bumper, underneath it where the bolts go thru the frame rails there are the bolt sleeves, they just stick up above the frame rails just maybe 1/4" and all you have to do is take an angle grinder and make the top of the frame rails flush.

Then bumper will slid on nice. Maybe Mike has a pic to show you if you don't get it. But once you take the bumper off you will know what needs to be ground off.

Edit: Mike beat me to it..

#20 · (Edited)
"You just need to grind this sleeve flat with the top of the bumper, is all..."

Gotcha. I think I have a clear idea what sleeves you are talking about. I recently had to remove my oem bumper cover and impact bar to install the tow hooks. I can recall somewhat how it looked. The price with shipping still seems well within reason. It will be a few months as I have something at the moment to deal with. :)

#21 ·
Well the last bumper got passed on to High-Voltage so I have been running around for awhile with this plastic BS...

So Mr. Barton and I got together to tack up some of the 3 inch BL bumpers and such and I might have used some favors to get him to help me get a new bumper so I was a bit more protected and functional.

Got it all in black and actually think I like the look. Definitely built strong and looks sweet. Much more funtional and appropriate for my truck than the plastic.

Thanks Mike.

#25 · (Edited)
No. I was playing around with mpg, tire/wheel combo weight, center caps, and just really like these rims and tires. The chrome is so much nicer, but still trying to find some lighter weight 34-35 inch tires for 17's. I think weight has more affect than height. I will throw the BFGs on to wear them out at some point though.

Kyle,,, if your going black .powder coat is nice but rhino lining is nice too.don't have to worry about scratches as much
I would go powdercoat over rhino lining anyday. Will likely be getting some more touches done and then textured powdercoat.

#24 ·
It's getting powder coated like a semi-gloss textured black, I think... I talked to the P/C guy that we use at work (who also does the oil pan skids), and before I start offering the powdercoat as like a $100 option, I want to run it on mine and Kyle's, and make sure it holds up to rock chips and stuff...

Mike

#29 ·
Just about ready to get PC'ed and see how that holds up...

Went to help Mike with a couple other bumpers and even with some random rain and welding outside; he made this deer slayer addition to the bumper turn out wonderfully... Thanks Mike!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.