Computer upgrade Windows 7 etc - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > TrailVoy Chapters > Western Canada

Western Canada
Western Canada View Chapter  |  Join Chapter

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:03 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (1SS)
Imperial Blue Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenhawk View Post
I just shake my head at why anyone would want all the hassle of Windows. I finally came to my senses, bought another Mac laptop and simply installed Windows in Bootcamp.

This is why, ironically enough, that Macs run Windows better than Windows runs Windows.

Hehehe.
Let me tell ya, I bought a Mac Mini when they first came out and I wanted to like it, but I couldn't. I didn't like the dock, I didn't like the way the file system put everything, I didn't like I couldn't run Safari maximized and still get to the dock, I couldn't play GTA, etc. I just really prefer Windows, yes sometimes it freaks out, but most of the time I have no problems (even with Vista). My laptop is still running the original install of Vista HP from October of 07 with no slow downs or anything and my desktop is running Vista Ultimate for over a year also with no problems. I would like Windows 7, but I don't want to spend the money yet! I want to see about maybe building or buying a computer with newer hardware first (even though there's really nothing wrong with what I have Core 2 Duo 6400, 2gb RAM, ASUS EAH4850).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Western Canada Chapter

2003 TrailBlazer and '09 Kadillak Eskalade __
sExY Dark Gray Metalic 4.2L I6 4X4
I like to Dual boot so I will run a partition with Linux. I like Linux but the gaming aspect is best suited to a Windows environment.

I have had this old dog for a over a year but the Win7 is the big change for me. Something got corrupted in the Vista 64 bit I was running and it slowed down after an update So many problems with Vista

I had 180 gb of pictures to transfer and now that I'm shooting in RAW the files are just over 15 mb per pic. (Anyone use Adobe Light Room? I am loving it!)

So I had to make the change and add a Tera bite of storage at the same time

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bill

Let's get a Meet going!
Old 01-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
Bills seen my laptop a few times now, its a year old and I got a steal of a deal on it. Just a Core 2 Duo 2ghz, 4gb ram, 320gb hdd, nvidia 9600gt 512mb (not shabby for a laptop), blu-ray player. Have an external 20" monitor and 1.5tb external hdd for backup/storage. For a while I had it triple booting Vista/W7/Ubuntu, deleted Ubuntu because I filled my 500gb external hdd, now that I have the 1.5tb Ill reinstall Ubuntu and maybe look into another flavor or 2 of Linux. Plus I have about 5 types of Linux/old versions of Windows running as Virtual Machines.

Not a powerhouse but runs all my programs (not much of a PC gamer anymore) very well, had Vista Home Prem as base OS but Ive been running W7 Ult x64 for over a year now (yes, you read that right). Need to get a copy of of RTM OS, beta and RC have been awesome so far.

People who bash Windows and love their Macs, good for you. What you dont realize is Microsoft has to write their OS to run on thousands of different hardware combintions while Apple has to do a fraction (maybe 100 for laptop/desktop and all the processor/video card combinations that matter). Big difference when you start to think about it.

I hate buying a PC, much prefer building them so I can start with just the OS and install the drivers I need. No bloatware, crappy big business anti-viruses (Norton and McAfee both suck), etc. Use AVG Free Anti-Virus, Ad-Aware, PeerBlock, and the only program Ive bought for system maintenance is TuneUp Utilities. Great program, been using it since mid-08.

To remove the preinstalled crap on your Windows system, use PC Decrapifier to remove it all easily. Easiest thing to do is run it as soon as you boot your new PC.

Hopefully this summer Ill be able to afford a desktop again, not sure if Ill go AMD or Intel, ATI or nVidia...

For anyone thinking of getting Windows 7, do it. I actually liked Vista a lot, I beat the crap out of that OS on my old laptop for over a year going in and modifying registry keys, playing with different settings in policies, etc and it only bsod'ed on me maybe 3 times (all were due to me fu<king something up in the registry and I ran System Restore, voila). But W7 is a lot more productive for me, love Aero Snap, Aero Peek, and the new taskbar plus Mobility settings. Ive used Vista maybe a combined total of 2 months in the total time Ive had my current laptop (bought 12/28/08) as I installed W7 beta the first week of 09 and then the RC when it came out. As for stability its maybe a little better, but it uses about 600mb less ram out of the box than Vista and opens applications a little quicker than Vista.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:08 AM

2009 GMC Envoy SLT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I've used a program called "Advanced System Care" to tune up my PCs running XP and Win7. It's free but they also sell it for a few extra features for a reasonable price. It worked to fix up my XP PC quite nicely whch was running slowly.
I'm not thrilled with Win 7 - It doesn't run some older Windows software which is a PITA and I was used to where things were in XP and now I have to find them again. I went out and bought an older laptop with XP just to have it to run some programming software for a lighting system which isn't going to be upgraded to run on Win 7. Progress I guess.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:10 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
My wife has some CAD embroidery software that was XP-only, and I just got her Win7 Pro that can run it in XP-emulation mode. Not free, but cheaper than a spare machine to keep running.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:36 AM

2009 GMC Envoy SLT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I've heard that Win7 Pro has that mode but wasn't sure if all XP software would run on it. Thanks for the confirmation that your wife's software would. What a sneaky way to make people upgrade to Pro!
I bought the new laptop with Win 7 Home something or other and now I find out I have to make Microsoft even richer with an upgrade to the Pro version. Wouldn't backward compatibility be something that should be included. Also they deleted Outlook Express those barstewards.
GD Microsoft!
Old 03-04-2011, 01:48 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLE
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
Wouldn't backward compatibility be something that should be included.
Actually Microsoft is pretty good with backward compatibility. You could upgrade from DOS 5.0 to Windows 7 and keep some settings intact.

Video Error
Old 03-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
I've heard that Win7 Pro has that mode but wasn't sure if all XP software would run on it. Thanks for the confirmation that your wife's software would. What a sneaky way to make people upgrade to Pro!
I bought the new laptop with Win 7 Home something or other and now I find out I have to make Microsoft even richer with an upgrade to the Pro version. Wouldn't backward compatibility be something that should be included. Also they deleted Outlook Express those barstewards.
GD Microsoft!
Win 7 Pro and Ultimate (cant remember if Enterprise has it but I think it doest) have Win XP Mode. Its Windows Virtual PC that lets you run a virtual machine of XP, much better way of doing it than the compatability mode inside the OS. If you dont shut the VM down and simply save its state, its really fast to open up. I did testing over the summer and with the VM hibernated, it opened Excel/Word in about 7-8 sec. Long time for a native app, but it also was restoring the VM's state on a Core 2 Duo 2.8ghz, 2gb ram, 5400rpm hdd (work machine).

Download Windows Live Essentials 2011, Microsoft removed movie maker, outlook express, and some other apps but made them available as a free add-on. Outlook express is now Live Mail.

Little update, since my last post Ive built my new desktop (Aug 2010) with an AMD 1055T 6-core, 8gb ram, 2 TB hdd, ATi Radeon HD 5850 1GB, bluray, Win 7 x64 Ultimate. Have 5 or 6 VMs right now, Window 7 testing ones, a few Linux/Ubuntu, and working on an OS X one now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in