LED Flasher Relay - Page 3 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Appearance > Exterior

Exterior Exterior

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:18 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Silver Green Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
No problem. I have the link up there^ if you want to order it online for 20 fewer bucks than from Napa. But, I had never used Napa before this and I was happy with the level of quality and the service I got. I called and they didn't have it in stock but got it there by the next morning. Great service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2009, 09:50 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Polo Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I just ordered a LM487 from:
http://www.ledlight.com/
$49.99 +$7.18 USPS Priority shipping
Old 09-23-2009, 02:08 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAY03LT View Post
Cool man, I've been hesitant to do it because DE is strict on lights (like flashing fast), thanks for the info and the how to
I was just looking in to this, not too strict according to the website. They just have to work and be seen from 100ft away.

http://www.dmv.de.gov/services/drive...quipment.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
I just ordered a LM487 from:
http://www.ledlight.com/
$49.99 +$7.18 USPS Priority shipping
How did they work out? Easy to install?

Old 09-23-2009, 09:17 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Received the LM487 this morning. Installed it in place of the original flasher. Installed two Amber 27 SMD LED 3157, and two Amber 5 SMD LED 194 in the Headlamps, two Amber 5 SMD LED 194 in the mirrors, and two Amber 27 SMD LED 3157 in the tails. Flashing speed was normal. All functions worked perfectly.

Here are some pictorial comparisons of the LM487 and the 12450284.

Internal comparison of the two
Click image for larger version

Name:	LM487 1.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	6791
Internal of the 12450284

Name:	12450284.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	6792
Internal of the LM487

Name:	LM487 3.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	6793
What's under the LM487 Sticker

Name:	LM487_10383322 2.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	6794
Yes that is a legitimate GM Part Number. It may or may not have been modified. Anyway GMpartsdirect wants more for it than ledlights for the LM487. And it does work correctly with all LEDs.

I also installed two White 27 SMD LED 3157 bulbs in the cornering lights and two White 27 SMD LED 3157 bulbs in the Backup lights. What a difference in the color and brightness. WOW!
Old 09-23-2009, 11:21 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigapple View Post
Well I'm using my original OEM wedge bulbs right now but it's only because I didn't realize the polarity of the LED bulb when I installed it, which is why I managed to blow out every fuse and almost rip my hair out.

I am soon going to show a tutorial thread and show how I'm going to orient the polarity. It should be interesting.
The 3157's I got are reverse protected and have have no +/- markings on them. They also read open both directions with the diode tester on my DVM. So what I did was to put a light or turn signal on, verify light or flashing, turn off and remove the bulb/s. Turn on the light or turn signal and try the bulb if it didn't light in one direction I would pull it and turn it around, when it would light I would seat it in the socket. I just installed 14 bulbs this way with no problems.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:27 AM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
The 3157's I got are reverse protected and have have no +/- markings on them. They also read open both directions with the diode tester on my DVM. So what I did was to put a light or turn signal on, verify light or flashing, turn off and remove the bulb/s. Turn on the light or turn signal and try the bulb if it didn't light in one direction I would pull it and turn it around, when it would light I would seat it in the socket. I just installed 14 bulbs this way with no problems.
Yea that was before I did the whole soldering deal with my circuit board. Got the problem figured out but thanks for the suggestion.

And I'm glad the LM487 works for you. I wanted to find one out there as cheap as possible but ended up wasting more money and getting the wrong kind of flasher. I was a bit worried to drop 60+ on a flasher but in the end it was worth it. It's so good to have a regular flash. I can never go back to OEM bulbs. LEDs rule.

And for anyone else looking; if for some reason LEDlight runs out of stock, I found the flasher here for 55ish bucks. Word.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=10383322
Old 10-01-2009, 04:08 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Well this may be my next thing to get because I have all my bulbs to LEDS and put load resistors at the front main signals and now one of the connections doesnt hold well...

Also noticed that when my lights are off when I use the right signal the left side blinks dim as well as the back left BRAKE light and vice versa for the other side... (I have the IPCW Bermuda tails)

but it works normally when the lights are on

funny that I just noticed that issue today
Old 10-02-2009, 03:08 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
That's a little strange. This would definitely be the easiest fix.

Also, an update on my flasher; I go to LSU and came to GA this weekend for the game. On the way here, when I needed cruise control the most, it decided not to work, even though it worked when I first got it. I thought about popping out the electric flasher and putting in the OEM one just for the car ride to get that cruise control working. The cruise has worked before but didn't yesterday so I guess it can be a bit faulty with this relay.

Still, I believe that one tiny fault with a normal flash is something I can exchange. I'm sure most of you would agree.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:29 PM
JeTTTstream Automotive Technologies

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Silverstone Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Talking

I have to point out a few things.

The flasher is also made by Grote part number 44140 (i'm a dealer).

You can use the flasher to control the front (turn signal) OR rear turn signals.

You cannot use the LED flasher to control (4) corners. I did extensive testing with these led flashers include GM parts too--I'll look up the part numbers and edit the post.

You will lose cruise control ONLY if you switch your BRAKE lights to LEDs AND use the LED flasher module.

example: you have switchbacks in the front....the LED flasher module...and stock halogen bulbs...your cruise will work just fine.

If you replace your brake/parking lights (trailblazer)..you will lose cruise.
----

Lastly, I also figured out that you can use LEDs in all 4 corners of the truck using only (2) Load resistors. I didn't want to cut/splice any wires. But for $9.00 and a quick tap..and run the other wire to body ground, it's been working great for my personal truck, and if you don't know I have 100% LED conversion.

I hope that helps a few guys out.

-Mike
Old 10-02-2009, 10:42 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I have the IPCW tails and those have built in resistors and flash normally.. its when I put led turns up front is where I had to put resistors in and got it all messed up

how much you sell the relay for?? hopefully not $75 like NAPA wants for it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in