Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Looking for Advice

6K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  ssam98 
#1 ·
I am looking at 2006 TBSS with 12k miles for my wife.
-Every option excluding Navi.

The history on this truck is a long story but to make it quick it was bought new and driven by an older woman who just traded it in for a new car.

My cousin is the sales manager and is giving me the first option to purchase this truck. (Great price too)

This truck is CLEAN. No accidents, garage kept, used locally, etc etc.

The advice I am looking for is from other TBSS owners and the issues with the rear. I did my research on this forum (I am a little nervous to what I have found) and wanted to see if you had an opportunity to purchase this truck again, would you?

Thank you in advance and if I left out any info please let me know.
***This TBSS does not come with an extended warranty***

#3 ·
I know thats very low milage for an 06, thats what makes this SS so attractive.
Around $17-18k plus taxes and tags.
Don't know much about the service history but I may be able to call my local dealership to look into it for me.

I didnt think the question was that broad, sorry if it came across that way. If you drive a TBSS and knowing what you know now, would you buy another one or are the issues with the rear that much of a problem where you would stay away from them?

Yes I can afford to fix it but not willing to keep throwing money into one problem if thats what I can expect. That just takes away less I can spend on my Vette:thumbsup:.

#4 ·
Well..it all depends on what you want to do with the truck.. are you going to leave it stock, or are you going to mod it?

I don't know what you mean by the "rear" end..if you mean the tranny, then yes, that is the weakest link for the SS platform..and they are hit or miss.. there are people rolling off the showroom floor with less then 5k miles stock and blowin their trannies up or there are those that are throwin down 500hp to the rear wheels while still having a stock tranny.. you just have to hope for the best..with all the forums I belong too, the general concensus, is the AWD's are more prone to failure then the 2WD.. weather it be the front shafts, or the tranny..in the 2WD you have less moving parts.. but it really boils down to how you treat it as well.. drive it like you stole it, and it will break down.. keep up with maintenance, and limit your mods, and it should last you for a good time...

So would I buy one again?.. yes, buuuuuuut.... the first mod id do if I were to get another one is buy a new or have my tranny built to handle the power of the LS2... I worry about my tranny everyday, but I can't let that detour me from a great vehicle...

#5 ·
Thanks Boricua, I was refering to the trans when I said rear.
The truck will be kept stock for the most part. Most likely CIA and exhaust. This truck is for the wifey who does not drive very far to and from work, stores, gym etc.
I really love this truck, she has been driving it all day today and loves it as well. It is AWD, so I will also take your advice to look into building the tranny up.
I also put a few calls out to see if I can get a warrenty from one of the chevy dealers around here.

#6 ·
Well leaving it stock should be just fine.. just stick a tranny cooler on there and call it a day.. just have a rainy day fund just in case.. with a CAI and exhaust, your tranny won't be tested as much as say mine is now with all my mods... so you with regular maintenance, you should have smooth sailing...

#7 ·
Will do, Thanks.
I havent bought the truck yet but it looks like it will happen soon.
One more question for you, after doing some more research on this forum, I read that if I put the truck in reverse and turn the wheel I will be able to tell if the trans is having issues already. Have you found this to be true? Is there another way to know if the truck is having beginning stages of trans issues?
After driving it around last night, I had smooth shifts (all 4 gears). The trans felt nice.

#8 ·
I've never heard of that.. others will chime in I'm sure..but if its smooth shifting, then you should be ok.. for further diagnosis, you can check your trans pan and check the color of the fluid, make sure its still nice and pink, or smell the fluid to see if it smells burnt..and to check for any kind of debris in the pan.. but that just might be overkill..especially since it only has 12k miles.. th recommended tranny flush is 50k miles while others do it at 30k intervals.... if its driving fine and feels fine.. then chances are your good..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.