Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Shift solenoids or 3/4 clutch

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  miketexas 
#1 ·
I have been using this forum for a while with great success so thanks to all but now I have a question.
My 2005 Trailblazer ext with 158k miles has a transmission problem. Reverse is good and it takes off as usual through 1st and 2nd then when it should go into 3rd it just revs, if I let it get to around 4K and back off the throttle it goes into 3rd but never into 4th. Would it be the shift solenoids (which I could probably change myself) or bad 3/4 clutch (which I would take into a shop to be rebuilt). If it needs to be rebuilt how long can I continue to drive it while I get the money together to get it rebuilt (I am currently only using it around town where I don’t need to go into 4th - I have probably done 300 miles like this already and what will be the next sign(if any) that total transmission breakdown is imminent?

#5 ·
I have been using this forum for a while with great success so thanks to all but now I have a question.
My 2005 Trailblazer ext with 158k miles has a transmission problem. Reverse is good and it takes off as usual through 1st and 2nd then when it should go into 3rd it just revs, if I let it get to around 4K and back off the throttle it goes into 3rd but never into 4th. Would it be the shift solenoids (which I could probably change myself) or bad 3/4 clutch (which I would take into a shop to be rebuilt). If it needs to be rebuilt how long can I continue to drive it while I get the money together to get it rebuilt (I am currently only using it around town where I don’t need to go into 4th - I have probably done 300 miles like this already and what will be the next sign(if any) that total transmission breakdown is imminent?
It could last years or break tomorrow. You should be fine around town as long as you don’t beat it. You could also just get those clutches replaced fairly responsible but while they are in there it’s kind of a nobranner. Also look at used transmissions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.