Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Clutch and codes?

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  45Frank 
#1 ·
Today my fan wouldn't disengage after start up, no Codes though! Had to drive it that way for awhile until I got home.
So I replaced the PITA clutch and it now stays engaged for about 2-3 minutes after start up then slowly disengages. All good right? Not.
Now the check engine light is on and I get Codes P1481 and P1482. What gives here since all works well.

#2 ·
OK got my ass greased good today and no it wasn't enjoyed!
Finally had to take to a GM dealer and it wasn't good.
I was told that a NON GM clutch only works half the time if the Flash update works, Anyway he told me if it was a Pt# from the local store I bought it from it will never work?
Anyway the clutch was replaced, the relay was replaced because he said the old relay wouldn't work with the new clutch, the computer was re-flashed.
Drove it home about 12 miles and all seems to be good so far. He did say that they do a few a month like this.
Oh the grand total $1,330.00

#4 ·
Drove home yesterday and all was good, almost. Pickup amazing, no swooshing noise at all even when starting.
This morning same drives great with no lose of power.
Problem is the belt squeals like crazy.

Price breakdown was $587.00 for fan, $65.00 for relay which they swore the new fan wouldn't work with the old relay. $570.00 labor and 85.00 for uncle sam.

I also mentioned the roughness of the engine and was told to drive it for a qhile that it is possible the comp may have to relearn driving habits since it was always under strain with the bad clutch.

#5 ·
Thanks, I had a local shop replace my fan about 9 months ago and it engages for a couple of minutes after start up as well. However no codes have popped up associated with it. Cost was about $600, the noise at start up is annoying, but I guess tolorable based on the savings.?

#7 ·
My original rarely if ever roared, the new one did more and more until this one, only two days and only roared once after a long drive I shut it down while in a store for only a few minutes and iy roared for less then a minute.
When I picked it up I thought there was a problem because no roar for 2-3 minutes and I went back inside and was told if it's cold why would it roar. Who knows.

Today a road trip so I'll see how we do going thru the mountains.

#8 ·
Ok so yesterday for some reason it roared a few times and it's been cool. Gas mileage was upto 16.5 since clutch replaced but the last few day going back down.
Opened the hood for the first time since dealer installed clutch.
The bolds holding the cowel on are replaced with wire tires and the radiator is crunched, he obviously took it out without removing or protecting the radiator.

Attachments

#9 ·
OK I'm back.
I rarely use this hunk of trash because it runs worse every day. Driving a 1987 Mazda PU with a 5 speed and no A/C.
Did get a code P0300 boy that tells a lot.
Anyway I know had a reader stopped by and did some testing and it says something about a vacuum test fail.

EVAP excess vacuum fail test 2
Enhanced Evaporative Emission System Monitor #1 (.040' Leak)

Any new ideas?

#10 ·
OK folks if a dealer can not figure out what the problem is with a product they sell the service charge should be FREE.
This piece of crap is at a local shop now because it barely runs.
They have spent al day on it running every test they can. Comp is good on all 6 cyl. coils are good gas flow pressures are good.
Their final suggesting is the cat converter or the head. They are going with the cat because it is not the original, it half the size of the original one but all test show good except the temp test is off some, intake to out. Should be ready by tue so we will see.

#11 ·
Still here, Cat converter for $850.00 still runs like ****tttt!!!!!!!
Took it back AGAIN and he had a different scanner/computer that is supposedly can check every diagnosis possible on the hunk of scrap. He is saying head with no explanation, he ran a comp test yet again and all cyl are good.
He showed me where the the diagnosis says something like 200,000 multi cyl misfires while I was there. What can possible cause this?????????????

#12 ·
Ok I was really going to junk the piece of garbage but metal is only $2.50 a hundred here.
Went to an old mechanic locally who has no idea what a computer even is. Dealer, two others and now him. Dealer just said drive it maybe it will get better, another wants to change the head, and this old timer. He agreed that if it was an old car he would say the timing was way off. So he suggested I change it again changed the VVT. Just like the last one it runs awesome again, the 1st one ran great for about a week or two then it slowly deteriorated.
What would make these go bad?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.