Where is the coolant temp. sensor on 2009 TB - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:36 AM

Where is the coolant temp. sensor on 2009 TB

This light recently came on and I had to pull over to see what it meant. Well the A/C stopped when that happened and I noticed the temp gauge went to zero. After some research I figured out it's probably a coolant temperature sensor. I looked on YouTube for some how to videos and every one I saw indicated the sensor is on the drivers side next to the thermostat. But all those videos were on '05 or '06 TB. Then I read something that said in the '09 TB the sensor was located on the passenger side somewhere on the engine block. I have searched everywhere and can't find a definitive answer. Does anyone know if it changed locations in the later model years? And if so where is It? Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 08:29 AM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
I believe it is on the rear top passenger side. Hopefully this is your engine since you didn't say which engine you had.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:23 AM

I have the 4.2 liter. Is that what this diagram is? Thanks so much for your response! I'd like to know where you found that diagram.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 09-09-2019, 09:37 AM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
That should be the correct diagram. It comes from Chiltons. Public libraries often allow online access to paid subscription databases if you have their library card. I have cards for 2 libraries that allow access to Chilton. Chilton is terrible compared to a shop manual but it is better than nothing.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:14 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Imperial Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
For 4.2L I found it on my 2008 to be at the far back top of the head, and a very big pain to get to especially with tools. After lots of stuff like changing it out and buying a refurbished cluster (and having the same low coolant code, sometimes), I just hook up my code scanner and clear the code each time it popes up. Then the A/C and the temp. gauge both work again, until the next time. Otherwise, I cleared codes by pulling battery cable before I figured out to use the scanner every time.

Rob in AZ
Old 09-11-2019, 10:39 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Cranberry Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Mine does the same thing. Temp gauge drops to zero, but next day or so it starts working again. 08-Trail Blazer
Old 09-12-2019, 01:08 PM

You may want to check your thermostat. I had the same problem on my 08 Trailblazer. Sometimes my temp gauge would register, other times not. This caused my a/c not to work. Took it in to have it looked at and my thermostat was sticking. Had it replaced and it is working perfectly now.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:42 AM

2008 SAAB 9-7x
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 AWD
I had the same problem. I noticed that my temp gauge was reading below the middle temp reading indicating the thermostat was stuck open. This is what was causing the A/C to go out and the temp gauge reading zero.

Replace the Thermostat first before messing with the sensors as I was told that the computer may need reprogramming with a new sensor installed.

Just a new Thermostat solved my problem.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:58 AM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Imperial Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
When my light would go on, it was suggested that I do the thermostat (last "winter"), but the heater worked great. In our case, I figured it was not caused by the thermostat since clearing the codes made it read correctly and the heater worked great, etc.

Rob in AZ
Old 09-13-2019, 12:11 PM

2008 SAAB 9-7x
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 AWD
Before I replaced the Thermostat I would disconnect the battery for a while to reset the computer and everything worked fine for a while until the next failure.

I did not think it was Thermostat either until I had it replaced and the Temp Gauge started reading in the middle again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in