169,000 original miles--what should I do? - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 5.3L V8 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:23 AM

2008 GMC Envoy SLE
Bordeaux Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mddombrowski View Post
You and I both. Iím at 154k. Iím shooting for 300k without needing an engine or tranny. The 4L60E is the weak link IMO. Iíd probably drop a GM reman trans/t-case if needed. I still think itís a lower overall cost than dumping the car and going back to a car payment.
im at 137k kms or 86k miles.

long way to catch up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2018, 04:13 PM

2005 BowTie TrailBlazer LT
Olympic White '50U' 4.2L I6 4X4
Ambam has a truck with unchanged tranny fluid @ 169 thousand miles. IMO he should change the fluid and filter, NOT a FLUSH.

My first Trailblazer was an 04 that got 1 tranny fluid change - and that tranny died @ 190K. I recently bought my second Trailblazer, it's an 05 with 165K original mileage and a blown tranny,.... I'm pretty sure that the tranny fluid is original. (The second owner had it for 8 years and never changed it. ) For anyone reading this in the future I wanted to share a pic; This is what came out of the 05 tranny with 165,000 miles when I dropped it.

Tranny fluid is the color of old axle/gear oil, about as thin as water, and smells like dead fish. The reason you shouldn't flush all the fluid out is because there is a lot of debris in this old fluid that actually helps an old tranny internals activate. However; there is simply too much debris in oil like this too much debris causes problems by blocking the internal fluid passages By dropping the pan to replace the filter your going to be leaving a fair amount of old fluid in the tranny to mix with the new stuff.

IMO - This is just My Opinion - If you've got a 160+ mile tranny with original fluid,...... you should be saving for a tranny re-build cause it's GOING TO FAIL. At this point the tranny has been neglected and changing the fluid/filter in the pan might just help you to get a few extra miles from a tranny that should have already failed. Just leaving oil like this in the tranny and 'hoping for the best' isn't going to make anything better.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:20 PM

Picture =

http://berlinetta.info/mypics/Trailb...annyFluid1.JPG

Sorry no picture,..... Maybe it will show up once I reach 10 posts ??

Old 09-05-2018, 08:10 PM

Rainier Buick Rainier
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
High miles

My 07 rainier is at 292,000. Done the trans and transfer case fluids twice. Still runs well but I can tell it's down a little on power.....might be time to change spark plugs for the second time.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:56 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silver, not sure of type 4.2L I6 4X4
Ready to start

Ok, life went nuts but things are settling down. The vehicle now has full replacement of the front shocks/bearings/etc due to failure and new rear shocks as well. I had a mechanic do the front and I took care of the rear (it was only 4 bolts after all). Now I'm ready to look at the transmission fluid, and I'm not sure if I should be doing a "drain and fill" or a "Flush". I've looked at the fluid, and it is still a red color, clear, and viscous (not thick or sticky) . It doesn't look anything like the "bad" transmission fluids online. Would I be ok with just a drain and fill? Since I don't have the ability to safely dispose of the chemicals, I plan to take it to a shop to have it done. (I don't have a regular mechanic, but I've used CarX, Firestone, and the dealership previously)

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2018, 10:09 PM

Should be G-T-G with a filter and fluid change. If your current fluid is still red and looks/smells OK than you would probably be fine with a flush,...... but I'd stick with a filter and fluid.

If it's red then it can't possibly be 169K mile fluid.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:22 AM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silver, not sure of type 4.2L I6 4X4
Wink Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in RI View Post
Should be G-T-G with a filter and fluid change. If your current fluid is still red and looks/smells OK than you would probably be fine with a flush,...... but I'd stick with a filter and fluid.

If it's red then it can't possibly be 169K mile fluid.

Well, technically it's a 160,000 mile fluid. The day I drove it off the lot (used, with 9k miles) I got less than hour down the road when the transmission failed. The dealer replaced it. And gave me free oil changes. And a loaner car. And begged I not go all "lemon law" on them. So, yes, it is less than 169k, technically

Ambam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in