Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Front End Noise While Idling

13K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Yoshi808 
#1 ·
I have an 02 Trailblazer with 70K Miles. Lately, I've noticed a strange noise while idling and when I shut down the truck. The noise sounds like something is loose, I've checked the pulleys and seem normal. It sounds like it is coming from the fan area but cannot quite detemine. When I turn off the truck it sounds even louder of a vibration of metal to metal. I'd take it to a dealer but like most have experienced it never happens when you want it to happen.
Just want to know if anyone else has ever experienced this problem.
:cool:

#2 ·
Kahunakai said:
I have an 02 Trailblazer with 70K Miles. Lately, I've noticed a strange noise while idling and when I shut down the truck. The noise sounds like something is loose, I've checked the pulleys and seem normal. It sounds like it is coming from the fan area but cannot quite detemine. When I turn off the truck it sounds even louder of a vibration of metal to metal. I'd take it to a dealer but like most have experienced it never happens when you want it to happen.
No, can't say that I have expienced that, but metal to metal sounds can't be good.. :eek:

By the way, welcome to the site!!

#4 ·
Good to find a site where people gcan share info on there vehicles...

Thoughout the 3.5 yrs of a proud owner of my TB, I haven't had any major mechanical problems. (knock, knock, knock..)

The noise doesn't sound like a metal to metal grinding noise, more like a loose nut or bolt.

about 2 years ago, my fan clutch seemed to kick on randomly, cold or hot, weird. Sometimes even at start up. Lost lots of power and lost a lot of gas. Then after about a year after a long drive. It went away and haven't happened since. There isn't an apparent power or performance loss now, my TB runs great, almost as smooth and powerful since day one. I can blame it on scheduled maintenance and lots of sweet talking to my TB. :cool:

#7 ·
Kahunakai said:
about 2 years ago, my fan clutch seemed to kick on randomly, cold or hot, weird. Sometimes even at start up. Lost lots of power and lost a lot of gas. Then after about a year after a long drive. It went away and haven't happened since. There isn't an apparent power or performance loss now, my TB runs great, almost as smooth and powerful since day one. I can blame it on scheduled maintenance and lots of sweet talking to my TB. :cool:
Hmm.... well if nothing was ever done to it aside from scheduled fluid changes, I'd definitely start my looking there then. Maybe the problem you had before is rearing it's ugly head again in a different way. For a truck with 70K miles on it, I wouldn't be that suprised if things start going south. :m2:

Another possible but unlikely cause could be the infamous piston sleeve crackage; is your '02 a very early-build one (built most likely during 2001 some time)? I've heard of a few cases (my truck included from what I've been told) where the problem starts off like what you're describing.

#8 ·
I recently got my girlfriend’s 04 trailblazer up and running after sitting for a year or so. Caught up all the fluid changes, changed the serpentine belt, the camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, variable valve timing solenoid, (the last three were code specific changes), transfer case motor, (wouldn’t shift out of 4lo), spark plugs and coils. The truck drives like a champ right now, but I am haunted by a rattling noice that you would expect to hear if the fan was hitting something. It is definitely coming from the engine block and is only present at idle. It goes away if the engine is revved at park or if it is driven. Any thoughts that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

#11 ·
I had a bad motor mount that sounded like a weird knocking. Grabbed a pry bar and with engine idling, I put pressure on the motor mount and noise went away. Replaced and no noise since. Diver side a little more of a pain to do but passenger side was easy. Hope this helps...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.