Rainier modifications - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > Off-Road

Off-Road For suspension, wheel, and tire questions DIRECTLY related to Off-Roading.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:08 AM

2004 Buick Rainier
Summit White 4.2L I6 AWD
Rainier modifications

I recently picked up a 04 Rainier, as a replacement to my Trailblazer I rolled last thanksgiving. I've always been a fan of overlanding/ expedition type rigs, and while I know its no jeep or land rover, its what I have. The wife and I want to take a trip back out to colorado/Wyoming this year or next, and visit some of our "old stomping grounds." So i'm doing a few mods to the Rainier to make it more capable to bring us back on old logging roads like we used to. I'm not talking about rock crawling or doing extreme modifications, but just enough to have fun camping/ exploring with. Keep in mind, this is also my daily driver, I have a dedicated off road rig.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/th...-brown-426353/

The Rainier AWD and lack of lo-range is taking some getting used to, but so far, its worked just fine for me. I also like the on board compressor, and there is an air hose in the rear compartment with a separate switch for filling tires, air mattresses and such. This is a work in progress, but some of what i've done so far-
- front hitch/ winch mount
- rough country 2" leveling kit, rear air ride height adjustment.

things to come.
- roof rack modifications - to be stronger/ larger
- roof top tent- for sleeping away from critters
- ?? who knows?

i'll try to add photos if i can. (i'm new)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2017, 11:33 AM

2004 Buick Rainier
Summit White 4.2L I6 AWD
here's a few pics of the front hitch. (sorry if they are bad quality, i'm new and learning how to transfer pics from phone to computer and then re-size to post on here) I didn't like the aftermarket bolt on versions, since they were so low. I want to be able to use my winch (mounted in a removable basket on by s-10), so getting it up out of the dirt was a must. I bought the receiver tube chunk from Runnings, and put it in.
After much "take it apart to see whats inside/ put it back together" I found that the factory cross tube was directly behind the location I wanted the hitch. I wanted the hitch to come out of the black plastic part, not white, since it would be less noticeable when not used. I also made it so that it only sticks out JUST enough to get the receiver pin in.
now the factory cross tube isn't strong enough to weld to only, so I bought some 3/8" x 2" and tied it in to the frame as shown. all done, welded, painted (a light texture to match the black plastic), it's stout! no deflection, bending, twisting, NOTHING. I put a huge solid bar (3') in it, and started to lift the front end at the end of the breaker bar, and it moved up about an 1/8" with tires off the ground. Not bad in my book. I feel way more comfortable taking the wife and daughter out on logging roads exploring by ourselves knowing I have a winch for extraction if needed. Now I just have to make the extension cord for the winch (it has quick disconnects for use on front and rear of my blazer.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2017, 11:37 AM

2004 Buick Rainier
Summit White 4.2L I6 AWD
I installed the Rough Country 2" leveling kit yesterday, and raised the rear by adjusting the ride height sensors for the airbags. i think the rear could come down about 1/2" - 3/4" and it would sit level, and then ride softer in the rear. Its not bad now, but i'll see how i like it. with the lift, adjustments, and new shocks/struts front and rear, it rides a little stiffer. Not uncomfortable, but not "buick luxury car squishy" The tires on it are in great shape, so i won't upgrade size until I need to replace them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5219.jpg‎
Views:	42
Size:	586.8 KB
ID:	33625  

Old 06-06-2018, 05:31 AM

BMW Buick BMW
Fire Red 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Good Post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in