Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

04 Envoy oil gauge and temp gauge not working

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  RPatton76 
#1 ·
I've had this truck about six months. The oil gauge always goes to the far right. Last night my temp gauge went well passed 260. I checked the overflow and radiator and they were both ok. The temp of the fluids were not that of a overheated vehicle. Where should I start please and thanks.

#5 ·
Or perhaps your gauge dial simply died? Mine blew (the dial, not the gauge) and reads off the scale to the high end. Same with my speedo, which first read 110 MPH all the time and now sits below zero (I use a GPS app on my phone instead). You can tell if the dial is dead if the arm isn't lit anymore. Notably, if one hooks up an OBDII tool, the gauges can be read through that device.

It has to be that the instrument clusters have lots of problems. I've been rummaging through junkyards lately for other car parts, and I've noticed a lot of clusters removed from the Envoys and TBlazers. That's on my to-do list soon.

#6 ·
stepper motors in the dash panel are a common problem with 2003 - 2008 (approx) gm cars & trucks. they are cheap enough to buy a set, but the chore is to get the dash out & then find someone to solder them off the panel & solder the new 1's back on. the replacements are supposed to be better than the origional gm's, but i'm in the process of replacing some of those that i put in about 4 years ago on my 2004 trailblazer
greck48

#7 ·
I replaced the whole cluster and had the same temperature gauge issue (all the way cold and a check engine code). $500 minus $300 core charge. This was after a sensor was replaced and no change. I now just pull the battery cable and when reconnected, it works normally for a day or two. Good luck. I wish I knew if there was something that gives the CAN Bus the signal or if it's the ECM that is my problem.

Rob in AZ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.