Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Trailblazer SS #1 Gets Tune

15K views 76 replies 26 participants last post by  TB SS 
#1 · (Edited)
A TrailVoy Exclusive ;) The First SS recieved the first of many aftermarket calibration adjustments to the E40 ECU today. This is a joint effort between my company (White Automotive & Media Services) and Vector Motorsports, a VERY well known tuner in the Metro Detroit area that has lots of high profile shops for clients ;)

Here is a quick rundown of what was changed today:
Top Speed Limiter (Stock 130) Removed
High Octane Spark Table Tweaked for Low RPM and overall performance
Power Enrichment Mode Enable Lowered
Axle Torque Limiters Removed (Maxed Out)
Launch Control timing retard removed
All other engine related torque/abuse mode management removed (includes torque reduction per gear by RPM)

This product is still in beta and once we get to work on the Transmission Control Module (TCM) the gains will be incredible. This truck really can benefit from some slightly higher shift points as well as higher line pressure and lower commanded shift times.

So how does it work you ask? Well those of you who said your trucks were pretty dead below 3000 will be astounded, there is no longer any throttle lag and it launches and accelerates considerably harder. Final HP and ET reductions will be announced after we hit the dyno and do a complete tune rather than just a road tune. All I can tell you is stock the truck hit another 5.3 0-60 and ran a 13.9@100 with a passenger and a half a tank of gas and it's CONSIDERABLY quicker now.

The good news for you guys is this calibration (and TCM calibration when completed) will be available to TrailVoy members exclusively for $399 (you must ship in your ECM/TCM) with a same day turn around service!

Other fun things we learned today:

1. Torque management sucks :)
2. My AWD SS weighs in at 4875lbs with 3/4 of a tank
3. AWD launches with TM removed are even more fun :)

Keep an eye on this section for updates and other new products for your TBSS (and 5.3L Trail/Voy ;))

See less See more
#31 ·
Three questions.

How will this tune, shutting down the "nanny controls", affect both:
1)- StabilTrak and/or Traction Control?
2)- Durability, Longevity and for 3yr/36k mi Warranty of the driveline components?
3)- If somehow the dealer does manage to flash your tune, will you redo it for free like some other companies do?

Thanks.

#32 ·
TBSSTony said:
How will this tune, shutting down the "nanny controls", affect: 2)- Durability, Longevity and for 3yr/36k mi Warranty of the driveline components?
Excellent question. I am amazed that people are overlooking the fact that the 4L70E is really just a glorified 700R4. Start removing torque management at the input of this very delicate piece and watch the parts start to break. There is a reason GM has severely limited the 4L70E's power, especially down low in the powerband, because it must do so in order to ensure the life of the transmission.

IMO the 4L70E has no business in a 4500-5000 lb vehicle. Fine in a 3200 lb Corvette, but not an SUV. Of course, like everyone else, I would like more power. But removing TM to get more power in this vehicle is asking for trouble. And when people start talking about "will it affect my warranty if I use an aftermarket tune" and "can they tell if I have a tune" I start having problems. Does this mean that if you put in an aftermarket tune and break the transmission that you will return it on a warranty claim? I certainly hope not.

I don't want to get into all the reasons GM is in trouble, that is a discussion best left for another forum in another topic. But when people start modifying their vehicles by removing stops and measures put in place to ensure a viable warranty, then break the vehicles and return them for warranty work, they are hurting GM, and ultimately GM's customer base (all of us) as well.

I will give my opinion on the matter - and remember this is only my opinion - if you make performance modifications to your TBSS that affect the drivetrain, you have no drivetrain warranty. If you break it, you fix it out of your own pocket. GM has engineers and actuaries who determine at what point this transmission will break, and they add torque management accordingly. This is how GM manages financial and warranty liability going forward.

This is one of the reasons that, if I buy a TBSS, it will be 2WD - I know it will only be a matter of time before the transmission will die. With power adders and/or computer modifications, that will only hasten the 4L70E's demise. At that point I suspect the bugs will be worked out such that I will be able to bolt in a 6L80E. This would be close to impossible with an AWD vehicle, but relatively easy with 2WD. And of course, I would pay for it.

#33 ·
TBSSTony said:
Three questions.

How will this tune, shutting down the "nanny controls", affect both:
1)- StabilTrak and/or Traction Control?
2)- Durability, Longevity and for 3yr/36k mi Warranty of the driveline components?
3)- If somehow the dealer does manage to flash your tune, will you redo it for free like some other companies do?

Thanks.
You dont HAVE to have the TM settings removed from your ECM if you dont want to thats no big deal. Personally the TM programming in the ECM relates to the transfer case more than the transmission (with the exception of torque per gear vs. rpm). We have left ALL TM controls in the TCM alone and will do so to ensure transmission longevity. Given the transfer cases beefyness along with the axles and driveshafts I dont see this being a huge issue on a stock to mildly modded truck. Obviously we'll see in the future ;)

1. No effect
2. I've seen 4L60's behind supercharged 6.0L trucks last quite a long time, I'm of the personal opinion that if you dont beat on the truck everyday it will likely be fine. Remember we havent messed with the TM in the TCM yet and probably wont!
3. Yes

#34 ·
GMs in trouble because of false warranty claims :rotfl: I cant beleive you typed that surely you jest.

Im going in for warranty work and im stock.

Maybe GM should of put a tranny in it that matched the engine :x

stop making excuses for GM they have been mismanaged into the ground.

TBSS said:
Excellent question. I am amazed that people are overlooking the fact that the 4L70E is really just a glorified 700R4. Start removing torque management at the input of this very delicate piece and watch the parts start to break. There is a reason GM has severely limited the 4L70E's power, especially down low in the powerband, because it must do so in order to ensure the life of the transmission.

IMO the 4L70E has no business in a 4500-5000 lb vehicle. Fine in a 3200 lb Corvette, but not an SUV. Of course, like everyone else, I would like more power. But removing TM to get more power in this vehicle is asking for trouble. And when people start talking about "will it affect my warranty if I use an aftermarket tune" and "can they tell if I have a tune" I start having problems. Does this mean that if you put in an aftermarket tune and break the transmission that you will return it on a warranty claim? I certainly hope not.

I don't want to get into all the reasons GM is in trouble, that is a discussion best left for another forum in another topic. But when people start modifying their vehicles by removing stops and measures put in place to ensure a viable warranty, then break the vehicles and return them for warranty work, they are hurting GM, and ultimately GM's customer base (all of us) as well.

I will give my opinion on the matter - and remember this is only my opinion - if you make performance modifications to your TBSS that affect the drivetrain, you have no drivetrain warranty. If you break it, you fix it out of your own pocket. GM has engineers and actuaries who determine at what point this transmission will break, and they add torque management accordingly. This is how GM manages financial and warranty liability going forward.

This is one of the reasons that, if I buy a TBSS, it will be 2WD - I know it will only be a matter of time before the transmission will die. With power adders and/or computer modifications, that will only hasten the 4L70E's demise. At that point I suspect the bugs will be worked out such that I will be able to bolt in a 6L80E. This would be close to impossible with an AWD vehicle, but relatively easy with 2WD. And of course, I would pay for it.

#35 ·
The motor, Torsen T-3 transfer case, and axles and differentials are all plenty stout for whatever the TBSS can throw at it. The 4L70E is the obvious weak point in the drivetrain.

Good work Chris on the tuning, can't wait to see more results. Will you have a 2WD there at some point to test with the same tune as your AWD?

#36 ·
Sentinel said:
GMs in trouble because of false warranty claims :rotfl: I cant beleive you typed that surely you jest.

Im going in for warranty work and im stock.

Maybe GM should of put a tranny in it that matched the engine :x

stop making excuses for GM they have been mismanaged into the ground.
I didn't say GM was in trouble because of false warranty claims, you need to read what I wrote again. I said you are hurting GM, not helping, if you make a false warranty claim.

#37 · (Edited)
TBSS said:
I didn't say GM was in trouble because of false warranty claims, you need to read what I wrote again. I said you are hurting GM, not helping, if you make a false warranty claim.
Every car maker has to deal with it part of being in the game. Or to put a different way, how often to people pay to fix recall items?

I turbod my last car 4th gear synchro went, I new 30 cars that the synchro went on that were stock had VIN numbers but because I was turbo I had to pay 6k for a tranny upgrade. ehh what ever :)

#38 ·
TBSS said:
Good work Chris on the tuning, can't wait to see more results. Will you have a 2WD there at some point to test with the same tune as your AWD?
Yup!!! Definately need to give the 2WD some love, I think those things are going to be insane with a set of stickies :) You arent anywhere near MI to help test when you get your 2WD are you?

#39 ·
GTPprix said:
Yup!!! Definately need to give the 2WD some love, I think those things are going to be insane with a set of stickies :) You arent anywhere near MI to help test when you get your 2WD are you?
I wish. However, if I don't find one here soon, I may have to fly somewhere to get one.

#40 ·
Sentinel said:
Every car maker has to deal with it part of being in the game.
I suppose if the actuaries roll into the final numbers an accurate percentage of people who are being deceitful in their warranty claims, then it all comes out in the wash.

At that point it is a personal decision - will I be one of those people?

#41 ·
tbss - i think you hit the nail on the head.... i dont think the problem is with false warranty claims. its with gm making the tranny "just good enough". you are correct they used a glorified 700r4. why didn't they step up the tranny along with the engine. they could have used the 4l80 which is a proven tranny, or better yet stepped up to the 6 speed autos. the way i see it, that's on gms shoulders. not my problem. if you make a vehicle fast like the tbss, like a sports car, you've got to expect it to be beaten on. maybe not by all, but at least by a few.

last time i went in for warranty work they charged me $70 to put a fuel filter on and that wasn't even the problem. anybody can do that. i told them it was the pump and expected them to use their labor charges to change that not change a filter. they screw me i screw them. its a viscious cycle.

now when i strap a blower/turbo on. i understand "some" things not being covered, but definately not all.

trust me gm makes enough money off of screwing people on trade-ins, extras in the paperwork, fuel filters, etc. they're financial problems have to do with pricing themselves out of the market. where i live, a lot of people are lucky to clear $30k a year busting their asses and im sure they're are a lot of places like this. who can afford a 30k plus vehicle or two and a house and kids and ..... a lifetime of debt.

sorry for the rant

#42 ·
This vehicle (as well as nearly every other SUV/truck in the General's stable) needs the 6L80E, for more than a few reasons.

First, it would let you put 3.23 gears in the rear and still have more torque off the line than the 4.10's now:
- 4.10 rear gears x 3.06 first gear 4L70E = 12.56 final drive ratio
- 3.23 rear gears x 4.02 first gear 6L80E = 12.98 final drive ratio

This would yield more torque. Or you could get really crazy and put 3.42's in. :eek: :laugh:

Second, it would lower your RPM's at speed
- .67 sixth gear + 3.23 gears + 255/50-20 tires = 1800 RPM @ 75 MPH
- .70 fourth gear + 4.10 gears + 255/50-20 tires = 2400 RPM @ 75 MPH

And watch your gas mileage go up cruising at 1800 RPM....easily in excess of 20 MPG, maybe 22-24 MPG, or more. :yes:

The list goes on. More later. :D

#45 ·
Well the trans in the SS has to be quite a bit stronger than the FWD one that's in the W bodies & and they've removed all T/Management from their PCM's with DHP (unfortunately not for my car yet, still unavailable, & it killed my 60's at the track and on upshift, even with stock tires) and they're pumping in the mid 300's to THE WHEELS..and they're lasting fine as far as I've read, but that's also responsible driving, beating on it at the track mostly..Can't see that trans puking when the truck is stock, do you really think that would happen??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.