Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Trailblazer SS Dyno Tuning Results!

9K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  kco4242 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so I've been sitting on my hands a bit (we just moved into a new house so things have been hectic) but the moment you have all been waiting for is here! These runs were done on a AWD Mustang Dyno so the results are a smidgen lower than you would expect to see on a Dynojet. All runs were done on a HOT motor in 70 degree ambients. These are not our best pulls but are a good indication of the average gains from our ECM/TCM tuning. I believe the trucks best hot HP # was 320 to the tires. When we head out to do the dyno testing on the intake, exhaust ect we'll do traditional third gear pulls with the stock tune and this one just for a better comparison.

We did full quarter mile runs on the dyno rather than traditional single gear pulls, we felt this type of constant load was better for real world testing. We started out with a 14.4 (again this is just for gains the truck stock hit a 13.9 on the VBOX and a G-Timer) at 94 MPH and ended up with a 13.8@99 and some change when we were finished. Since the graphs were a little hard to read with all the individual gear shifts ect on them we exported them to excel to better plot the gains per gear and make it more legible. Enjoy!

See less See more
#5 ·
gtp when will this be out>

i have a set of slicks for my ss ready and i have the 2wd version. I live in ca and i dont mind putting in race gas a little nowand then. not worried about the cat because ill be getting long tube headers sooner or later also the magnacharger as soon as it comes out.

any info for the 2wd guys would be appreciated.

#6 ·
Well the ECM side is done for 91/93 octane we are just finishing up some minor transmission tweaking and after we get confirmation from our beta testers that all is well and we have some more miles under our belts we'll put them on sale. If we can get all the beta guys rounded up and updated to the release calibration this week, I dont see any reason why they wont be on sale next week. Making this cal work in your 2WD shouldnt even be an issue :)

#11 ·
TrailblazerSS said:
Don expect it to be enough to get 0.6 reduction at a track but it's certainly a great gain. :)
Hey ya never know, we shaved a consistent .2 off the 60ft which is normally about .4 on the big end just by reducing the launch management. I dont think .6 might be that far off especially with the gains in 2nd and 3rd gear, the MPH improvement certainly reflects that.

#12 ·
GTPprix said:
Well the ECM side is done for 91/93 octane we are just finishing up some minor transmission tweaking and after we get confirmation from our beta testers that all is well and we have some more miles under our belts we'll put them on sale. If we can get all the beta guys rounded up and updated to the release calibration this week, I dont see any reason why they wont be on sale next week. Making this cal work in your 2WD shouldnt even be an issue :)
Chris did you make these runs on stock motor with no mods (k&n or tstat)? can we bring the vehicle to you and how long will it take? nice numbers by the way. How does the truck run now seat of the pants? I can definetly tell when the tq man. is happening and dont like it all. This truck feels like its struggelin for air or something in between shifts and right out of the hole. hope there is a noticeable differnce! Again thanks

#14 ·
what do you think about running a colder tstat? is this ecm tune just taking the tq man. out or a combination of other things such as timing, fuel trim, shift points and shift firmness? If so once i get an after market exhaust do i need any adjustments to the ecm after the fact? Thanks again fo all the help. Where exactly are you located again?

#15 ·
It's a full rework for performance and driveability and as I've told others while the gauge reads 210 it appears the actual ECT's are in the the 180-195 range which is perfect for an LS2 so I dont see a need for a stat yet. For such minor things as intake and exhaust you should be fine, no need to update.

#16 ·
thanks Chris! where are you located and how much are we talking $$ if i bring the vehicle to you? One other question, since these vehicles have onstar and they do diagnostic test will this show up on that or if i bring it in for any warranty work is there a chance of the dealer reprograming it or erasing it. thanks again:)

#18 ·
SS TITANIC said:
One other question, since these vehicles have onstar and they do diagnostic test will this show up on that or if i bring it in for any warranty work is there a chance of the dealer reprograming it or erasing it. thanks again:)
If I remember correctly Chris said that he has the ability to locked this section of code out so the dealership can't see it. It is not affected by a reflash apparently so you are ok if the dealership has to reset the PCM. I'm sure he'll clear things up on this topic though.

#20 ·
LeonPhelps said:
How will this work ???? Will we have to send the ecu in, or is it something we can do on our own ??? I cant afford to be without my ride for very long, and I live in Toronto, so I would imagine that if I had to send out the ecu that it would take a few days.
Me too... Mine's my daily driver, what about putting your tune in a hand held?

#21 ·
LeonPhelps said:
How will this work ???? Will we have to send the ecu in, or is it something we can do on our own ??? I cant afford to be without my ride for very long, and I live in Toronto, so I would imagine that if I had to send out the ecu that it would take a few days.
you'll send the TCM and the Pcm in!!

#23 ·
Z06 Tom said:
Me too... Mine's my daily driver, what about putting your tune in a hand held?

There are no CAN compliant handhelds available so no, and we are the only company tuning these trucks right now so no you cant do it yourself. We are working on the NEW calibration that is shipping in the trucks now this week, we want to have that done before we release it so we can upgrade anyone that doesnt have it.

I'm going to try and get a core program going, but this is normally a royal pain in the butt.

#24 ·
GTPprix said:
There are no CAN compliant handhelds available so no, and we are the only company tuning these trucks right now so no you cant do it yourself. We are working on the NEW calibration that is shipping in the trucks now this week, we want to have that done before we release it so we can upgrade anyone that doesnt have it.

I'm going to try and get a core program going, but this is normally a royal pain in the butt.
Chris, are you saying that GM has revised their calibration since it began production? Is this engine or transmission? What did they change?

#25 ·
T-Blaze SS said:
Chris, are you saying that GM has revised their calibration since it began production? Is this engine or transmission? What did they change?
Engine only, TCM is the same. They revised some parameters for generic scan tool compliance and cruise control operation.

#26 ·
What about using one of the OBDII cables they market for pulling/resetting trouble codes and performing other tests from Auterra or AutoEnginuity to perform the flash? They both support CAN in their latest incarnations and work via a PC (notebook) or Palm/PPC (Autterra is Palm & AutoEnginuity is PPC)......if you could write a flasher to their cable driver, might be something to consider. - They both use a pretty basic box/circuit, just with different IDs that the software looks for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.