Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

SLP Heads and Cam

7K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Car_Guy 
#1 ·
i am wondering if anyone was condisering the slp 600 hp heads and cam kit for the ls2 engine does anyone have any experience with this kit on other cars? i am assuming this would require pcm reprogramming. could the reprogram offered by some members of this site accomodate this camshaft?
maybe this kit will not work at all on the TBSS? let me know your input on my idea i want high-mid 12's ot of the SS.

#2 ·
cody4130 said:
i am wondering if anyone was condisering the slp 600 hp heads and cam kit for the ls2 engine does anyone have any experience with this kit on other cars? i am assuming this would require pcm reprogramming. could the reprogram offered by some members of this site accomodate this camshaft?
maybe this kit will not work at all on the TBSS? let me know your input on my idea i want high-mid 12's ot of the SS.
Our trucks have a different intake manifold than the corvette LS2. They did that because of fitment issues. I dont think that package will net you 600hp. I would suggest some ET Performance heads and a cam, and maybe raise the compression a bit. Depends if you want to go the forced induction route or not. I think you will be happier with a blower or some nitrous. The LS2 responds great to nitrous. You could easily get the power you are looking for there. I work at ET Performance, and you can check out our heads @ www.etheads.com. They are a 11 degree head, instead of the factory 15 degree stuff. They will make the power you want much easier. We also offer CNC porting for factory head castings. They will not make as much power, but it is a much cheaper alternative to an aftermarket casting.

#3 ·
SlvrTBSS said:
Our trucks have a different intake manifold than the corvette LS2. They did that because of fitment issues.
Fitment issues with the Corvette or the TBSS? What is different between the intakes?
SlvrTBSS said:
I work at ET Performance, and you can check out our heads @ www.etheads.com. They are a 11 degree head, instead of the factory 15 degree stuff. They will make the power you want much easier.
How/why is that?

#4 ·
yeah i figured 600 was inflated and generous
a maggie would be nice but it looks like we wont be getting that for the TBSS if you know of anything else that is reliable let me know.
no bottle baby for me though

#10 ·
TBSS said:
Fitment issues with the Corvette or the TBSS? What is different between the intakes?

How/why is that?
I was talking about fitment issues with the TB SS. I think the main reason is that the LS2 is pushed backwards into the firewall on our trucks. They had to adapt a special 'truck' manifold to the LS2 to make room. That is one of the big reasons our trucks are not rated the same as the LS2s in the corvettes.

You also wanted to know about our heads? The ET heads like I said have an 11 degree valve angle design. That allows us to design a much more direct path for the air/fuel to flow. Having a more direct unobstructed path will always flow more air and in return, make more power. I looked over the SLP package you refered to, and I think you can make more power with our ET heads that are cheaper than the SLP AFR heads.

#11 ·
SlvrTBSS said:
I was talking about fitment issues with the TB SS. I think the main reason is that the LS2 is pushed backwards into the firewall on our trucks. They had to adapt a special 'truck' manifold to the LS2 to make room. That is one of the big reasons our trucks are not rated the same as the LS2s in the corvettes.

You also wanted to know about our heads? The ET heads like I said have an 11 degree valve angle design. That allows us to design a much more direct path for the air/fuel to flow. Having a more direct unobstructed path will always flow more air and in return, make more power. I looked over the SLP package you refered to, and I think you can make more power with our ET heads that are cheaper than the SLP AFR heads.
Thanks for the info on your heads. I'd like to hear more on the benefits of an 11 degree head over a 15 degree head. Do you have any other (i.e. 3rd party) info sources on the topic?

On the subject of HP/TQ, I was told the only reason the ratings differ is because of the clutch fan in the TBSS versus the e-fan in the Corvette. The clutch fan is needed in the TBSS for towing. I thought the Vette was the vehicle that actually had less (vertical) clearance, though I can see an issue with the short hood of the TB.

#12 ·
TBSS said:
Thanks for the info on your heads. I'd like to hear more on the benefits of an 11 degree head over a 15 degree head. Do you have any other (i.e. 3rd party) info sources on the topic?

On the subject of HP/TQ, I was told the only reason the ratings differ is because of the clutch fan in the TBSS versus the e-fan in the Corvette. The clutch fan is needed in the TBSS for towing. I thought the Vette was the vehicle that actually had less (vertical) clearance, though I can see an issue with the short hood of the TB.
You can search around the www.ls1tech.com forums. There are a lot of people with dyno sheets and info on the ETP heads. Also check out www.hardcorels1.com We did the cylinder heads on 2 of the fastest LS1 cars in the world. (Hardcore Performance, and Wheel 2 Wheel)

As far as the ratings go, I'm not too sure exactly where the power loss is. I do know how to make up for it though....

#14 ·
cody4130 said:
you heads sound pretty good i just wonder how much of a pain it would be pulling the old ones off and putting those on. i should be picking up my ss tomorrow
You know that is a good question. I will be looking into that very soon. There are probably lots of things that will need to be removed in order to get the factory heads off. This LS2 is a very tight fit into our engine bay, but anything is possible. They have to make it servicable, so I'm sure that when there is a will, there is a way.... More comming soon.

#17 ·
The power loss rating from our trucks to the corvette is through the exhaust. They were not able to fit a big enough exhaust TBSS.

As for the intake, Our "Truck" intake makes more torque @ low and mid range than the "Corvette".

The Corvette intake is really only better in the high RPM range. If you look at our trucks there is plenty of room for a "Low" style Corvette intake.
Our intake has longer runners and also has more plenum area (internal cubic area) .

Our intake is the best type for our heavy vehicles.

#18 ·
ttdolson said:
The power loss rating from our trucks to the corvette is through the exhaust. They were not able to fit a big enough exhaust TBSS.

As for the intake, Our "Truck" intake makes more torque @ low and mid range than the "Corvette".

The Corvette intake is really only better in the high RPM range. If you look at our trucks there is plenty of room for a "Low" style Corvette intake.
Our intake has longer runners and also has more plenum area (internal cubic area) .

Our intake is the best type for our heavy vehicles.
I think the power loss is due to the engine driven clutch fan. Corvettes use electric fans. The exhaust is not restrictive.

#19 ·
The truck style intake on the TB is different because of torque. The curve of a TB is lower than the ls2 cars. The intake is tuned differently with didfferent runner lengths and sizes. If you read on ls1tech you'll find alot of info on the truck verses car intakes. The torque curve is higher but the max HP is lower. GM feels like a lower curve is better for truck apps. As for the EP heads I have heard good things about them.

BTW I also heard that LPE is currently doing a maggie fit on a AWD TB SS. I'm guessing that they'll get the bugs out and then maggie will eventually release a kit.

#20 ·
I'm just repeating what I saw in a interview with one of the lead engineers on the TBSS project.
I do agree that the fan pulls a couple horses out of the total, but not many.
And even if the "Exhaust" isn't that restrictive...The "manifolds" are.

#21 ·
i still have the sts kit for my gto i could always put that on but i want all weather perfromance hence AWD and unless there is a good sheilded place for the filter ill be putting the sts up for sale.
what is so different about the TBSS manifolds as oposed to the GTO maybe the JBA shortie headers would work.

#22 ·
It's not that they are real restrictive in general, It's just that I've worked with both types and the Corvette manifolds are opened up alot more than the truck manifolds are.
This smaller diameter in it self causes a slight drop in horsepower. These engines love to breath. Headers are going to prove to be a great improvement as far as Mods go.

#23 ·
ttdolson said:
It's not that they are real restrictive in general, It's just that I've worked with both types and the Corvette manifolds are opened up alot more than the truck manifolds are.
This smaller diameter in it self causes a slight drop in horsepower. These engines love to breath. Headers are going to prove to be a great improvement as far as Mods go.
:yes: Can't wait until a good set is available.

#24 ·
ttdolson said:
They may be but the difference is in the volume. I agree you'll make higher hp with a vett setup but in a truck typically hp isn't what your looking for. You'll make less torque and raise your curve a GOOD bit with the other manifold. Thats why if you go to read about guy's making 600+ hp in trucks alot of them are still running the truck style intake. They want the neck snapping low end torque.

#26 ·
I'm new to LS model engines as I just bought my 06 SS TB, but I know with my Lightning (Yes I know it's a Ford:eek: ) tuners have seen up to 17 hp gain from switching to an e-fan, and also around 12 for an electric water pump. I would think some of the HP difference between vettes and TB has got to be that crank driven fan.:m2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.