BB - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > General TrailVoy Discussion > The "How-To" and DIY Section

The "How-To" and DIY Section Threads on Do-It-Yourself and How-To goes here.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:07 PM

BB

What is the best procedure for cleaning the throttle body. I am in the process of trying to do the cheap stuff first, in search for a misfire problem on cylinder 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 03:12 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
If you have a misfire on Cylinder 5, you should be looking at Cylinder 5 - not the throttle body. Swap the #5 coil with #4 and see if the misfire follows. If so, it's a bad coil. If not, swap the plug and see if the misfire follows.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:18 PM

BB

Already tried swapping coil pack with #2 and inspected wires to that component. Diagnostic still shows misfire in #5. This was not a problem before. Just started a couple weeks ago. I am going through cleaning, changing filters for general maintenance, and read somewhere that cleaning throttle body might solve some issues.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:26 PM

BB

I picked up this Envoy at a junk yard about a year and a half ago. Donít know any history, other than damage was all on the right front. 160k miles. Replaced some suspension components, bought new tires, fixed AC, and parked it for about a year. I am suspecting that the gasoline in the tank might be my culprit, as it is now just over a year old. Maybe clogged injector? I drained remaining fuel and filled up with new gas, but the ďdamageĒ may already have been done. What is the procedure for cleaning injectors?
Old 10-09-2018, 03:35 PM

OK. Have you replaced or swapped the plugs as well? AC Delco iridium 41-103. There is a very detailed throttle body cleaning procedure on this site - a search should reveal it for you.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:14 AM

BB

Plugs are on my list of things to change. Injector cleaning is a priority, as well, because I suspect old/contaminated fuel. I am sure there is a descriptive procedure somewhere on this website for that. If I go through all of that with no success, compression check is next. From there, I donít know. Along the way, Iím checking filters, throttle body, etc., just to take care of general maintenance.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:52 PM

Since the code is specific to the #5 cylinder, my recommendation would be go after the plugs first. Cheapest, easiest, and most likely culprit. The throttle body can't target a specific cylinder, although a good cleaning is definitely in order anyway.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:17 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Steel Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtliquid View Post
Since the code is specific to the #5 cylinder, my recommendation would be go after the plugs first. Cheapest, easiest, and most likely culprit. The throttle body can't target a specific cylinder, although a good cleaning is definitely in order anyway.

I second this motion.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:33 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
#5 is the most problematic for all TBs and Envoys. Water drips down in there and fouls out the plug and coil. Did you clear the codes after swapping coils?
Old 10-18-2018, 01:52 PM

Bob

Thanks for all the input. Since my last post, I changed to new, recommended plugs and replaced the air filter while I was there. Thereís a noticeable improvement, and Iím guessing the plugs have most to do with that. The old ones looked rather used up. However the number 5 plug looked no different from the others, clean with no oil or unburned fuel though worn like the others. I doubt the plugs have ever been changed, so it was money and time well spent. I am still getting misfire codes, but no longer specific to cylinder 5. It varies to a different cylinder every time I check it. Yes, Iím clearing the codes at the end of each diagnostic, and the Service Engine light goes out for a while. It sometimes stays extinguished for as much as ten minutes, and sometimes it comes on the instant I put the vehicle into reverse. I can feel what I suspect is the misfire nearly all the time I am driving, but itís barely noticeable unless I put it under a load. The plugs improved on that, but Iím still chasing a gremlin. Any suggestions will be considered. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in