how many miles are you all at as of current? - Page 143 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > The Lounge > TrailBlazer / Envoy Chat

TrailBlazer / Envoy Chat The TrailBlazer and Envoy Owners and Enthusiast lounge. (no tech questions)

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:50 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
2002 GMC Envoy XLT SLE 196,000
just purchased it for $500.00 with 196,600 miles on it. Needs lots of TLC. Drove it 100 miles home. Power Steering leaks, 1 Ignition Coil is out (Service Engine light is on), Service 4WD light is on, believe it to be the TCCM haven't tested it yet. Rear hatch glass adhesive on hinges has broke loose. Got lots of little stuff to do and plan on getting it back on the road full time soon. Only got it on Sunday. Has Saab 9-7x 18" Rims and good tires on it.

I think she's got another 100,000 miles in her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2018, 02:51 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mparker View Post
2002 GMC Envoy XLT SLE 196,000
just purchased it for $500.00 with 196,600 miles on it. Needs lots of TLC. Drove it 100 miles home. Power Steering leaks, 1 Ignition Coil is out (Service Engine light is on), Service 4WD light is on, believe it to be the TCCM haven't tested it yet. Rear hatch glass adhesive on hinges has broke loose. Got lots of little stuff to do and plan on getting it back on the road full time soon. Only got it on Sunday. Has Saab 9-7x 18" Rims and good tires on it.

I think she's got another 100,000 miles in her!
Wow!!! You are a brave new (old) Envoy owner...if your dash needles don't work it is most likely the stepper motors. One of the first thing I would do is do the famous throttle-body cleaning. It will mostly likely be filthy, given the condition you bought it in. It's an easy to do maintenance item, do it when you replace the coil. Also, if you can avoid it do NOT dis-connected the battery...but then again, I would not be surprised if your vent actuator(s) are bad (pain-in-the-ass project). But, when cleaning the throttle body (to reset the PCM instead of disconnecting the battery, remove fuses 10 & 28 under the hood). Note: there is also, a fuse box under the middle seat, driver-side.
Also, be sure to check the front suspension: upper/lower ball joints, CV axles, sway-bar links, tends to go bad. If your ac/heater is not blowing in the main cabin area or its acting very erratic; controls are funky or just not working. And fuses look good, its mostly likely the "blower motor control module/resistor" (acdelco 1581772 autorock.com has them). It's located under the glove-box or there about. Be care when trying to remove module there is a very sharp sheet metal plating it sits above. If you hear a clicking sound from the very rear when you run the ac/heater, its probably the rear vent actuator (pretty easy to replace.) and the last thing that comes to mind is if you find yourself with a dead battery for no particular reason. After jumping it, check to see if your rear stop lights are stuck on. If so, its the "Stop Lamp Switch" this is located just above the brake pedal. It's a pretty simple replacement part (BWD-Brake Light Switch Part#-SL2043) the most difficult part, maybe the funky retaining clip, if you have one. Note: it is possible the constant-brake-light-on can be intermittent, it works normal at times and other times it stays on killing the battery...made it one of my more frustrating issues to repair. Point being, if you have unexplained dead battery something to look at...anywho, good luck with your new old Envoy. I owned mine new 2003 Envoy XL SLT (6-cyl/4.2), brought in Nov 2002. Drove it from Faribanks, Ak to Orlando, Fl...and currently, has 244,500+ miles. So I would not doubt the additional 100k, its all the other crap that's a pain in the ass. Also, final note be sure to check your oil regularly...every week or every 1000 miles. There are issues with this motor just drinking oil...mine has been doing it lately. I wanna say about a quart every 2k. It's my wife and she puts around 60-75 a day on it. I just did my semi-annual oil change and It was unusually low and I did add oil between changes...so now I'm keeping an eye on it.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:29 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Great informational writeup WireDawg, thank you for that.
I live in the great state of TX and we have lots of PickNPull yards so part of me is actually looking forward to the project. I used to love buying neglected cars and fixing them up. Haven't done it in a few years and I do realize I have my work cut out for me. The information you have provided is excellent and I will take it and use it to assist me moving forward.

I have already discovered additional items that need work, Sway bar ends, axle boot, power steering lines corroded (those look like fun to replace, lol)

My plan of attack is to diagnose all the mechanical items first and make sure "Rosie" is mechanically sound and determine the level of repair budget I plan on throwing at her then tackling the cosmetic issues on my days off. I do enjoy a good project and do realize this may be a big one. I like the vehicle though. Those engines and transmissions are supposedly pretty solid. I can still pick up used engines and transmissions locally for under $200 each also. The information you have provided is excellent and I feel I will be visiting this site a lot more often over the next 12 months.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:01 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mparker View Post
Great informational writeup WireDawg, thank you for that.
I live in the great state of TX and we have lots of PickNPull yards so part of me is actually looking forward to the project. I used to love buying neglected cars and fixing them up. Haven't done it in a few years and I do realize I have my work cut out for me. The information you have provided is excellent and I will take it and use it to assist me moving forward.

I have already discovered additional items that need work, Sway bar ends, axle boot, power steering lines corroded (those look like fun to replace, lol)

My plan of attack is to diagnose all the mechanical items first and make sure "Rosie" is mechanically sound and determine the level of repair budget I plan on throwing at her then tackling the cosmetic issues on my days off. I do enjoy a good project and do realize this may be a big one. I like the vehicle though. Those engines and transmissions are supposedly pretty solid. I can still pick up used engines and transmissions locally for under $200 each also. The information you have provided is excellent and I feel I will be visiting this site a lot more often over the next 12 months.
One more note regarding the throttle-body cleaning & PCM reset: be sure to have AC, stereo, lights, etc all in the off position (no electrical load or at minimum load). The process is remove fuses 10 & 28 for at least 30 minutes. Once you are done with cleaning return fuses. Turn key on (but do not start) and let it sit for a full 2 minutes. Then off and start truck and let idle for a full 10 minutes with no load (no AC, etc), don't put it in gear. Turn it off then restart and drive normally. Some folks sometimes have issues with the rough idle thing after throttle-body cleaning which is the whole purpose of cleaning the throttle-body. It seems the PCM has not been reset and relearned or not cleaning the body properly. So be sure to be thorough with the cleaning. This actual process seems to work for me...and I do it yearly as part of my typical maintenance routine and its always dirty.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:26 PM

Got a one, from previously old lady owner, 03 tb 4.2 with about 119xxx on it now. Had it for 8 months and did fornt lower joints and arms, swaybar bushing and wheelbearings. Rides pretty good, but dont think im done doing work yet
Old 09-20-2018, 07:37 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
180,601 mi. - 02Envoy purchased new.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:58 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
175,500. '02 Trailblazer purchased new. Been a solid truck.

Have had to replace thermostat, clutch fan, 4WD actuator, transfer case motor, a few window regulators, rear window struts, alternator, and gear shift cable. Most of those repairs in the last 2-3 years.

At 16.5 years old, it's starting to get a few squeaks and rattles, but in general still seems to be running well.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:09 PM

I’ve had my 2003 Envoy SLE for 2 months now and I bought it with 132k miles on her. She’s currently at 133,340k..the only thing I’ve done is fluid change and tune up when I bought her..oh and replaced the ignition coil on cylinder #1. This is definitely a new engine/tranny combo for me after being in the Jeep world for 8 years..it’s fun learning the quirks of this combo.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:18 PM

2006 GMC Envoy SLE
Steel Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
We bought his and hers 06 Envoys new. Sold mine last year with 178,000 miles. Bought wife a new car, driving her Envoy now, it has 28,580 miles total. Both have been very reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in