Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

is the ticking noise under the hood the lifters

17K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  eliteroger 
#1 ·
i have noticed while running there is a light ticking/clicking noise coming from the valve covers...is that just the lifters? or is this thing knocking its way through the cover.

#3 ·
LS engines are notorious for valvetrain noise.

When you cam it, or go with headers and a converter, it's even louder.

Sounds different than rod knock, thank God.

#5 ·
I don't think I've ever heard an old Blazer (S10 style)/Bravada/Jimmy that DID NOT have ridiculous valvetrain noise. I thought it was a standard issue extra option.:dielaugh:

#9 ·
The old joke was that the small block chevy engines have tapped since 1928.......they all have some valvetrain noise. Most engines have a faint valve tick noise to them, if you listen careful enough to hear it. My Envoy, my wife's Maxima and even the venerable Honda motor has a slight tick/tap in the valvetrain.

#10 ·
yea, but coming from a jeep (late night drunk fun) to powerful suv (no more late night drunk fun) its a lot louder. i wish ihad a actual car garage...because i like to tinker and learn. by far what is the most power robbing emissions equipment on the car.

anybody made there own catch can? i was wondering about doing that rather than buy one.

#11 · (Edited)
If your truck is stock (judging by some of your other posts I would have to guess that it is) then a catch can is a waste of money and not worth it.

As far as emissions crap, just removing that isn't going to gain you anything. Add a set of long tube headers and a catback to let the motor breath and at that time delete your AIR system. That will be by far your best bang for the buck mods.

#13 ·
my tbss just started ticking really bad at idle . Im sure its a lifter ! Just ordered all new lifters ls7 and chromolly pushrods . 90k miles

#15 ·
Also check for loose and or broken Exhaust Manifold bolts. There have been a lot of broken bolts out there, had (4) on the drivers side myself along with a stripped/cross-threaded nut on the flange connection. Caused lots of exhaust noises (sometimes sounds like a lifter)

I know the I6 was notorious for loose bolts and the V8s seem to be more broken bolts. I ended up getting most bolts out to replace with studs/nuts but had to replace the drivers side head because of broken bolts. This may only be true of the earlier V8s like mine not sure if yours would have this problem.

I have no longer have ticking noises since the exhaust repairs

#16 ·
In my 20+ years of working with and on SBC engines the only time they stop ticking is when they stop running. Cast iron heads, Aluminium heads, roller cams, flat tappet cams, properly adjusted, improperly adjusted rocker arms, old springs, new springs, etc. I have even heard one bank a little louder than the other in healthy engines. Ifn the tick becomes extremelly lound under pressure, like climbing a hill or wide open throttle take offs, check your oil level and condition. Ifn both are ok then check the oil passages in the head.

#18 ·
I wouldn't jump to conclusions that quick..

Ticking from I6's just like everybody else said, is normal, it gets pretty bad when they're cold I've noticed in mine. Once they warm up it reduces quite a bit.

#19 · (Edited)
im pretty sure its not the fan, i have listened with my head about a inch away from the valve covers and i can tell a drastic difference. but as the other guy stated its normal im guessing to have one side louder. the only thing that kinda is a give away is when i got this car with 42k on it, the lifters were not loud, now is about to roll over to 50k and i can hear them from outside of the hood. i have warranty so if something goes wrong then thats there to cover it, it's just i hate knowing something is wrong if it is. after work i will see if i can catch some audio of it and you guys can tell me if im just paranoid or if something doesnt sound good :) after reading some post before this, i checked the exhaust and there all tight and snug. i'll also go in and see if the lifters are torqued right.

#20 ·
Ticking Noise In Engine - '07 TBSS

Mine started ticking about 6-8 months ago (~48K miles) but it only does it after it has been driven and then shut off, and then restarted several minutes later. It definitely is a lifter; confirmed by my local mechanic who had the same issue with his Tahoe. Told me he switched from Mobil ! to another synthetic (Wolfshead or Pennzoil, I believe) and the problem stopped. Amsoil appears to be a good substitute for Mobil 1 and it will not screw up your warranty, if this is still an issue.

#21 ·
tick tick tick

My 2005 Chevy Trailblazer I6 went 93425 miles before I had any ticking noise in my engine. Here are the problems that led up to my ticking noise. I ignored a stuck thermostat error for about two years. I've been told that when you do that and the thermostat is stuck open the engine runs at about 150 which makes the computer think the engine is still warming up and causes it to continuously dump fuel. The next thing that happened was all that extra fuel leaked into my catalytic converter which caused it to cook and clog. Now I have too much backpressure in my motor and one day it just stalled. I restarted it and it had a slight rough idle. I drove it an extra mile to the house and ended up with P301 (misfire in cylinder 1). The misfire caused the engine to hydrolock which either caused a follower to collapse or a flat spot on the cam. I'm fixing to tear into it and replace but there's my tick tick story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.