Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

all Indiana roll call

28K views 139 replies 51 participants last post by  feedtaletwo 
#1 ·
Just seeing who all is in the NW Indiana area. Areas like highland, hammond, gary, crown point, lansing, cal city, merrillville, schererville, st john, cedar lake, hobart, etc... I'm a new TB owner and looking to make some helpful friends. cya!

#70 ·
Wow you guys are really helpful, thats awesome! I never looked into the NW region, I should do that. In fact, I was reading what you guys said over the phone to the wife and she agreed that we would rather have better schools and nicer neighborhoods. I'll probably still sail out of Geist, but I don't mind driving to the NW side. I like the info, and we are both excited to move. I'm gonna at least wait until I get our tax returns back and sell my current toy (24 foot pure thoroughbred racing sailboat made out of almost all carbon fiber..I'll post a pic below). My boat will be sold by end of the month, and then once I get tax returns I will have the $$ to pull off the move. So far, my initial timeframe thoughts were to do it in end of March/beginning of April, job hunt success pending (although I have good vibes about it :yes:)

Will keep ya posted.

Attachments

#72 ·
Beautiful boat man. I love those pics. Yea nw has Zionsville and whitestown. Both nice places. Whitestown is smaller then Zionsville but still in a great area for homes and its not ips schools. Its a cheaper upper middle class area. Having lived in Zionsville before I can say it is a nice area as well. Pretty much anywhere N of 465 loop is nice area's to live. The Whitestown you would want is in Boone county. There is another Whitestown so make sure if you look it up that you get the one in Boone county.:thumbsup:

#73 · (Edited)
Just an update for you guys, we maybe moving sooner than anticipated. I have an opportunity (not solid yet, just a very promising 'maybe' )to get on my previous ship as 2nd Officer (the Hawaii Superferry) which is now in Virginia and do some government relief work in Haiti. We would be shuttling supplies from mainland US to Haiti via our fast ferry (350 feet long, twin hull aluminum ship with 4 diesels, 4 turbo chargers each....yes thats 16 turbos....ship has a top speed of 40 kts ~ 44 mph). Depends on how long that job will be (pay is AWESOME), the timeframe could be as early as beginning of March for our move. I heard Indy is nice in the spring :cool:

#78 ·
Oh and just thought I would throw up a newer pic for ya :). I would have pics of my system setup but I just sold my bp1200.1 and have sent off 3 other amps to be repaired :X. I currently have my laptop sitting on a sundown 1200d that is going to be sent off later this week. I just don't want to flood my guy with work lol. So when I get either my titan back or my sundown I will put up videos of my 2 15" L7's in a custom box I built. By the way I was going to do bed liner on the box.. anyone have any suggestions on what bed liner to use? Maybe even what shop to go to, to have it sprayed? Thanks.

#80 ·
Ok, having lived in Northwest Indiana my entire life, I would recommend the Porter County Area.
It has a nice country setting, yet still 30 mins from Downtown Chicago.
I am in kind of the same situation as you, young couple, with a little guy... 16months to be exact, and have lived in both lake county and porter county. Trust me, stick with porter county.
Right now, We live in Valparaiso, the housing is slightly more expensive than say, portage, or chesterton, but a wonderful town to be in.

But... the main thing is, do you plan on renting or buying? Are you looking for single family, or apartments?

#81 ·
Well, its not north-west, but a bit more north-central. I currently live in Warsaw, IN. I have two kids in the school system here and really love it.

Here is the basics about the town.

I know your looking to be close to Chicago, but I would recommend this area for you. The school system is great. The town has most anything you would need, and still keeps the small town feel. We are 45 minutes from major shopping areas in Fort Wayne, and an hour from South Bend. Indianapolis is a 2-2.5 hour drive, and Chicago is 2.5 hours to the downtown area, and thats with traffic.

Good luck, and let me know if I can be of any assistance.

#82 ·
We will be renting for awhile. Depending on the salary of the possible job, but I think it will pay well. I do like the looks of the Porter County Area. Thanks for the info. Another thing I worry about is my TB is 2wd :ugh: .

#83 ·
The 2wd will only bother you a few times a year...
Valpo schools are very good, and rental housing is actually pretty affordable, and there are plenty of them. Right now we're renting a 2BR 1 1/2 bath for $700 a month. Its a townhome, and were actually looking at trying to find a house, I want a yard!
But just to get an idea, check out craigslist, and search for rental places, or go to nwitimes.com.... those have been my number 2 visited sites (except TrailVoy) the past few months since Ive been looking for a new place. Where are you planning on working at?

#84 ·
Burns Harbor as a tugboat operator (captain). I finally got a reply from one of the many companies I applied to. They are interested and have a spot open in Burns Harbor/Southern Chicago Harbor. I have to live an hour away max, and it looks like Valpo and surrounding area fall well within that range. I am really hoping to land this job, we want out of Hawaii. Nice place? yes. Expensive? hell yes. What you pay for your townhouse in Valpo you would pay literally triple that here in Hawaii for a similar place :no: .

#88 ·
No hard feelings bud. I will fully agree that the Valpo area is pretty nice. I am up there a few times a year for work, and have never seen any reason to have cause for concern. I am sure you will enjoy the area.

What happened to the 2nd officer position for the Haiti relief ship?

#89 ·
Well, its on the ship that I was 2nd Officer on here in Hawaii. I called my old boss who is organizing the manning for the ship and he said they found a 2nd officer, but may need a relief officer in a week or so. That was a week and a half ago.....

Eh, its probably for the better. This way I am still able to talk to possible long term employers, like this tug company up there. Things happen for a reason is the way I look at these things in life :undecided

#90 ·
Its looking better and better boys and girls :woot: . Already had a successful phone interview and having another one with a 'company friend' out here tomorrow or the next day. I have a good feeling about this, could be in NW Indiana by April!:excited:

#92 ·
Yah, I misunderstood some elements of the job. I thought it was work up there for a few weeks and live elsewhere. Nope. Must live an hour away from harbor since the tugboat is a non-live-aboard. So if I land it, NW Indiana I go.

#96 ·
Its looking like it fell through. I know there are a lot of mariners looking for work, especially in the lakes. I'm sure they found someone closer to home, its been over 2 weeks since I had my secondary interview with a guy here in Hawaii and nothing, not even an email. Still, even if I get a job in the Gulf of Mexico we'll still be living in Louisville, KY or even Indianapolis. Still all up in the air at the moment :suicide: but I'll keep you all informed. Even if we live down there we love our road trips and will most likely end up in NW Indiana on a road trip. I know at least I will, Chicago has a HUGE boat show every year with all the new racing sailboats on display :drool (thats my other big passion).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.