Help Needed to avoid Dealership - 2008 Envoy 4WD & 2002 Bravada AWD - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > 4x4 Drivetrain

4x4 Drivetrain 4x4 Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:58 AM

2008 GMC Envoy SLE
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
TJBaker - In he thread you listed sent me back to the main TrailVoy page - is there a particular thread I should read?

Also, is that the $10 Code reader that generated those results? If so, I got bamboozled by the Actron 9660 code reader I have. I spent $150 and do not get that amount of detail - it does live reads of multiple sensors/readings, but no ABS, or Transmission codes (basically I get Pxxxx codes only).

I am looking for recommendations from the guys who have been done this path before, as I would rather buy my own unit than to spend that same amount at the dealership to diagnose one car.

One last question - with the 2008 Envoy jacked up in the front, should I be able to turn the front driveshaft on the transfer case? Currently, it will NOT budge (truck in 2WD all the time). From the reading I have done, I am not sure if this indicates that the transfer case is locked up, or the front differential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019, 10:08 AM

2008 GMC Envoy SLE
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Sorry TJBaker - found the thread by searching 90437
Old 02-26-2019, 11:39 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Glad you found the thread!

Yes, the screenshots were of an old android app called Car Gauge Pro and the data was from the $10 bluetooth elm327 that can be found on ebay or amazon. True, these are cheap chinese knock-offs and somethings work on one and not on another but they are like ten bucks! So I bought several from different sellers. Old timers like me will remember the old AT Hayes command set that we used to talk to dial-up modems. These elm327 use a subset of that, at least the three I have do. So with at least one of the elm327s I have I can use my android phone and a serial terminal app and connect to the bluetooth code reader, issue a couple of at commands and record all traffic on the data bus. Damn is that a busy little party line!! I can also of course ask for codes from a single module like the BCM or just ask for all codes from all modules in the truck, thanks almost entirely to Blurrys thread on how to do this.

Yes, it takes some reading and learning something new but I get a kick out of doing something new and different. I have even bought an obdII splitter cable from WallyWorld and eavesdropped on the data bus while my tech 2 talks to the truck!

As for the 2008 Envoy I am not entirely sure. But I would say this much. If your envoy has switches to select 2wd, a4wd, 4hi, and 4lo like my trailblazer,,, and you have it in 2wd,,,front off the ground,,you should be able to turn the front driveshaft between the transfer case and front differential.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180321-133608_1551199471613.jpg‎
Views:	3
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	37867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181202-202943_1551199499727.jpg‎
Views:	3
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	37869  

Old 03-03-2019, 02:14 PM

2008 GMC Envoy SLE
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Thanks for all the feedback TJBaker - will definitely do some research into your method - I like it!

So, I had other issues to fix on the Envoy, like changing the oil. So, I got under the truck, and had my son switch from 2WD to 4WD Hi while under the truck. I can definitely hear the encoder motor click, but there is nothing from the Front Axle Actuator switch. Now, this was the first part I replaced, so I am assuming the switch is not the issue. I then physically removed it (2 8mm bolts), and tried again. Still no movement. I also poked inside the opening for the front actuator, and can feel the shifter fork move freely in and out (I initially thought this may be the problem).

Oh Yeah, the front driveshaft does move freely with the front left wheel off the ground.

I am now almost convinced it is the TCCM. Anybody have any ideas here?

(I am going to trace the wiring and see if I can jumper power to the Front Axle Actuator switch, just to make sure it IS indeed OK - may have gotten a abd part from O'Reillys)

Looks like I am at the dealership first thing the morning.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:52 AM

2008 GMC Envoy SLE
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
UPDATE 3-6-2019:

First off, much thanks to all you guys who helped a brother out - TJBaker especially!

So, I did remove the front actuator, remotely powered it, and it worked fine.

Took the 2008 Envoy to the Dealership Tuesday morning (A WHOLE OTHER THREAD ON THAT BULL****!), and told the "Service Adviser" what has been done, and that I suspect the TCCM is bad. Several hours later, I get a call that they found the TCCM is bad, and that I need a new one, and re-programming.

(Dude tells me it gonna cost just under $600! I asked 3 times the final price, and was told the same thing - I am gonna show up with $300 - that's just under $600 in my mind, lol!)

Price seems pretty high, based on all the reading I have done on this topic, but there is no other recourse because they have to re-program the module.

I am more confident in this being the problem with my 2002 Bravada as well, but I am going to source my own TCCM, install it first, then just pay for re-programming.

Again - much Thanks!
Old 03-06-2019, 10:30 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Suggest you either visit a salvage yard and get a TCCM from a 2003+ Trailblazer or Envoy, or buy one on Ebay. These don't require programming like a new one.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:38 AM

2008 GMC Envoy SLE
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I think I am going to try EBay - I went to the salvage yard a couple of weeks ago, and got 2 different TCCMs, and tried them both - I may not have had the correct "versions" though. It was slim pickings that last visit, so will just try EBay first.

Thanks again!

(My next project is to investigate your thread on the Bluetooth Code readers and the hyper terminal methods of sending commands - I am intrigued now, and if this will save me from having to deal with the Dealership, it is worth the time.....Now, I truly understand the word "Stealership," LOL!
Old 03-06-2019, 12:45 PM

2008 GMC Envoy SLE
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
UPDATE #2 - 3-6-2019:

Get a call at 11am telling me the Envoy is ready. Then, get another call 20 minutes later saying there is another problem?! Tech would not give me details on the phone, so left work early and drove the 45 minutes to the Dealership. Once there, I am being told the Tech is installing an encoder motor! I reminded him that I replaced this last month!

It is apparent to me that they do NOT know what they are doing - Their Tech2 should have been able to "force" the encoder motor on/off.

So, still waiting on a call back.....I think I am just gonna get my truck back and go from there - just need to verify they indeed DID replace the TCCM and re-programmed it....That's all I needed them for anyway.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:46 AM

2008 GMC Envoy SLE
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Thumbs up

FINAL UPDATE - 2008 Envoy has functional 4WD now!!!

So, to close out this thread here:

Waited a couple of hours, and no call from the Dealership, which closed at 6PM. I called around 5PM, and the "Advisor" had nothing but ****ty attitude for me, and basically said his Tech is still working on it, and it will NOT be done today (This was Wednesday now, dropped it off on Tuesday @9AM).

Get a call while at work on Thursday (yesterday), basically telling me that there is an issue with the encoder circuit, and the Tech wants to talk to me to explain.

A will skip all the details here, as they basically were trying to get over - they had replaced the TCCM, and the encoder motor, which was only a month old - and truck still wasnt functioning. They changed the fluid, and found metal shavings - internal problems with transfer case. I made them put ALL my parts back on, and paid for 1/2 the labor the Tech spent "troubleshooting."

Bought a used transfer case at 1PM yesterday, started install around 3PM, and finished up by 10PM. Could have finished quicker, but had to stop a couple of times to handle Daddy duties with my 3 kids.

Again, Much Thanks to TrailVoy and all who helped me out. Been working on this since 2/4/19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in