Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

2009 Saab 97X Front Grill or bumper cover Removal

8K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  keitho64 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have an 09 97X 4.2 and will be installing a transmission cooler. It looks like I need to remove the front grill or bumper cover to gain access. I did this on my 04 Trailblazer and was able to remove the grill. I have been unable to figure out how the grill comes out on the 97X. It looks like there are table across the top which I pried back but it still did not come out and I do not want to break it.

Do you of you know how to remove the center grill?

Thanks,

#5 · (Edited)
Nevermind, I figured it out and got it off. I had to take out the fender/wheel liner and eventually saw that there was 2 push pins I didn't see and hadn't taken out. One towards the top behind a plastic ledge and one behind the bumper that you can get to from underneath the car. You have no choice but to put the front end up on jack stands and take off the front wheels.

Then I unbolted the 3 bolts underneath the headlight area holding the bumper to the top fender. I got one from the top/front using a 10mm socket wrench to loosen it and then a regular 10mm wrench the rest of the way. It was slow going because its such a tight fit but it eventually fell out. The other two 10mm bolts I got underneath using a small impact driver, 1/4" extension bar, and a long 10mm socket.

Now I'm at the point of removing the power steering lines from the cooler and managed to get the hose clamps off but the line won't come off. Is there a technique to it? I don't want to damage the hoses but I'm almost at the point of cutting off the cooler's steel pipes just so I can get it off.

I'm taking a break now trying to warm up. Freezing my butt off outside!

Man, what a royal PITA.

#6 ·
Alright, I eventually got the power steering hoses off but it was the hardest part of the whole ordeal. What helped I think (because its so cold) was to use a heat gun to warm up the connecting pieces. I think that made it soft enough to stretch a bit. Strangely enough, bottom hose was harder to take off than the top one and easier to put back on than the top one. The hose clamp for the top one was a pain to get back in place. I had to spray a little silicone lubricant to help it slip on.

One of the push pins did not survive but quite frankly who hasn't broken one of those things? I'm just thankful its all done and now I get to rest.

One thing that really had me scratching my head was the fender/wheel liner bolts. They each required a different sized socket. One was 10mm and the other was something like 5/16". I'm the only owner of this 9-7X as far as I know so I don't think its been messed with.

Also, I couldn't figure out if the liner was supposed to go over or under the bottom trim towards the back of the car. Each side was different. I can't imagine it came from the factory like that but nothing surprises me anymore.

I hope to God that I never have to do that ever again!

#8 · (Edited)
You need to start by jacking up the front end (so you need a jack and a pair of jack stands), take off the front wheels, then start popping out all the plastic push pins holding the wheel/fender liner in place. There was 2 push pins in particular that I didn't see right away; one at the top behind a plastic ledge and one between the liner and the bumper. You can see them both if you lay down and look up. Then man handle the liner and rip it out. Try not to break the push pins because you'll be putting them back later when you're done. This will allow you access to remove 2 of the 3 bolts on each side that hold the bumper to the fender. You access the 3rd bolt by unhooking and disconnecting the headlamps.

Sorry I don't have any pics.

#9 ·
I know I posted this a long time ago. I put together a PDF of the grill removal when I did this last time. It is 1.1meg so I cannot upload it. Feel free to send me a PM if anyone needs a copy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.