Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

2006 TB low speed vibration

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Brian K 
#1 ·
Hello...bought a new to me TB a couple weeks ago. Have done quite a bit of searching and reading but I have not seen this exact thing posted, so here goes. This vehicle has 118K and was really well maintained. It was in need of tires when I got it so a week ago I put new tires on. Since I now have quieter tires I have noticed a bit of rumbling from the rear end between 20 and 30 mph. Sounds almost like hitting some small rumble strips, especially when slowing down. Between 30 and 75 mph it is smooth. I had the tire dealer check it out today, their opinion is the tires are fine but they feel there is excessive u joint play. I got under the car, the back u joint is tight, the front has a tiny bit of play, I mean just a little, and it is hard to tell if it is the joint or the yoke coming out of the tranny has a small amount of play. The u joints do look plenty dirty, they may be original or they've been there for quite a while. I checked the rear wheels, no play at 9 and 3 o'clock, same at 12 and 6. Just a tiny amount in and out, assuming that is c clip play. When I spin the rear wheels on the jack it is smooth, just a bit of brake noise. So I am guessing the axle bearings are ok, Should I be checking the fronts? No symptoms of front hub wear but who knows? Rear springs are original, could they be weak? Sorry for all the dumb questions. Any ideas?

#2 ·
I had a similar rumble strip feel but just when accelerating not coasting at lower speeds and occasionally at higher speeds. I also remember a few months ago hearing a squeal from what I thought were the brakes when backing up. Brakes were fine. Turned out to be the rear U-Joint. It felt tight when I wiggled it but was the culprit. I changed both the front and rear Ujoint to be safe. The OEM ones don't have a grease zerk and eventually the grease dries out. Good for a lifetime you say???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.