Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Magnaflow in , Resonator out !

24K views 82 replies 34 participants last post by  Gary_17368 
#1 ·
Now this truck sounds like it has 400HP and backs up the SS badges :yes: :D . My performance oriented personality got the best of me today as I just couldn't stand how quiet the stock exhaust was , so I went to Mufflex custom exhaust shop in Trenton , NJ to see what was worth changing on the stock system , first they took off the stock muffler and checked it out , and while it is straight through , it does have a bend in it at the end , and the baffling and sound absosrbing material is probably hurting flow a little bit , I did this mostly for a more performance sound than for horsepower , so they put a Magnaflow on it and I took it for a test ride on the highway , the truck was still too quiet , barely louder than stock , so back it went on the lift and off came the stock resonator , when I first started the truck with the resonator off , I knew right away it was the sound I wanted , it's not too loud on the highway or at cruising speeds , but when you get on it , it sounds awesome , I think I could best describe it as loud enough to turn heads , but not too loud , and not even close to obnoxiously loud , in fact at cruising speeds its quieter than my old 5.3 Yukon that had a magnaflow and dual tailpipes . Performance wise it does feel more reponsive and a bit quicker , it is definitely breathing better than the stock system .

I plan to run the truck next weekend on opening day at Raceway Park , Englishtown in NJ , so if any of you local guys will be there you can check out the sound for yourself . By the way , Mufflex had a brand new red Jeep STR-8 in the shop yesterday getting new mufflers and the resonators deleted so those Jeep guys aren't just going to sit back and leave those beasts stock either , maybe he'll show up at the track next weekend and we'll have some fun .:D

See less See more
#6 ·
TBSS said:
Would love to see pics of the inside of that resonator as well....please! :D
The stock resonator is also a straight through design , it probably doesn't rob any horsepower , it just does a good job of killing the sound .

#7 ·
NORCAL SS said:
im wondering if anyone has just cut off the resonator on the stock set up. I dont pick my tbss up till thursday but the stock sounding exhaust sounds way to quiet.
I would reccomend trying that first to see how it sounds , it might sound perfect for you , everyone has a different preference .

#8 ·
NORCAL SS said:
yah 5x8 or 4x9 case

14case /20 overall length
orrrr
18case /24 overall length

im doing a 3 inch mandrel bent set up. Thing is im wondering if the magnaflows will drone in the truck.
There is no drone sound , however , with the slightest touch of the gas you hear the exhaust . I'm not sure which Magnaflow it was , it is still a big muffler , only an inch or two shorter than the stock one . I'll try to find out Monday or you can call Mufflex if you want . www.mufflex-performance.com

#11 ·
Zerumm said:
I'm sorry for being abit slow but, basically you took the resonator off and put the mufflex on? :(
I replaced the stock muffler with a Magnaflow , and cut off the stock resonator .

#12 ·
TBSS said:
Any chance you can give us more specifics of the stock exhaust? Like the ID or OD of the stock piping? Did you replace any of it? How about that flattened piece of piping over the axle?
The stock piping changes from 2-3/4 at the inlet of the muffler to three inch coming out , I didn't want to mess with the over the axle pipe , because of clearance issues and we didn't have time today , overall I think there is minimal power to be gained with replacing the muffler/tubing , maybe 5-10hp , like I said I went more for the sound aspect , although if you put headers on the truck , the rest of the system might be more critical , I'll see what kind of gains the headers make , and then I'll cross that bridge .

#13 ·
so wait from the muffler back its a true 3 inch set up. It doesnt taper down to 2 3/4 going over the rear axle.

your saying the muffler is 2 inhes shorter than stock?? the next size for the magnaflow is 24 case length and 30 overall length so i think thats what you used.

now there is no drone you said im wondering if i went with a shorter muffler which im planning to do wonder how much louder it will be. Is the stock tbss exhaust stainless steel or aluminum

thanks man

tony

#14 ·
NORCAL SS said:
so wait from the muffler back its a true 3 inch set up. It doesnt taper down to 2 3/4 going over the rear axle.

your saying the muffler is 2 inhes shorter than stock?? the next size for the magnaflow is 24 case length and 30 overall length so i think thats what you used.

now there is no drone you said im wondering if i went with a shorter muffler which im planning to do wonder how much louder it will be. Is the stock tbss exhaust stainless steel or aluminum

thanks man

tony
The stock exhaust is stainless , the system is 3-inch out of the muffler then it does kink down over the axle and then goes back out to 3-inch , but the guys at the shop do alot of f-bodies with their kinked up y-pipes and they never saw a gain in times at the track from replacing the kinked up y-pipe on those cars so they didn't feel it was worth replacing the over axle pipe , it's hard to say if it would make a difference , if it was a 700+rwhp car then yes , I would definitely have mandrel bent all the way through .

#15 ·
yah i got a email back from the shop. they said theyu used a 5x8 muffler in your truck just trying to figure out what length. also they said they used "a custom resonator eliminator " which im guessing is just cutting off the resonator and adding 3 inch pipe in its place.

now you can hear the exhaust but it is a little loud at all when you romp on it or is it fairly quiet still

thanks

#19 ·
I Do think the trailblazer ss has a offset entry/center exit muffler. the 4x9 case will be much louder thats why a 5x8 case is better to go with.

here is the one im planning to install (5x8 case)
20 inch overall length 3 inch offset entry/center exit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-O-C-5x8-Oval-18-Body-MagnaFlow-Muffler-SS-12259_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33636QQitemZ8035467191QQrdZ1

the one that is 2 inches smaller than the stock one is this one (5x8 case also)
30 inches overall 3 inch offset entry/center exit 3 inches
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-O-C-5x8-Oval-24-Body-MagnaFlow-Muffler-SS-12289_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33636QQitemZ8035467212QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

#20 ·
STEALTH SS said:
The stock piping changes from 2-3/4 at the inlet of the muffler to three inch coming out , I didn't want to mess with the over the axle pipe , because of clearance issues and we didn't have time today , overall I think there is minimal power to be gained with replacing the muffler/tubing , maybe 5-10hp , like I said I went more for the sound aspect , although if you put headers on the truck , the rest of the system might be more critical , I'll see what kind of gains the headers make , and then I'll cross that bridge .
a couple of us were already planning to go to Eng.Town this weekend (waiting since last month when they released their 06' schedule!) so I am sure we'll see you there, sounds like you're waisting no time seeking out another 9sec vehicle??:eek: .... I bet this is how the vette started out isn't it??

I am curious about one thing.. you say the stock muffler was straight through and only had some baffling inside, also the resonator, yet you claim a HP advantage? I personally will not do the exhaust until headers/highflow cats, Etc. have been fitted. (I understand you wanted a better sound) I just don't think you would gain even 5HP from what was done, which is why I am waiting for the whole exhaust... Truck has a hi-flow (for factory, anyway) muffler/resonator and 2.75" pipe into 3" already..so would you say this a sound only mod, or do you believe there really is a 5-10hp gain? these engines seemed to be more restricted up front (manifolds), at least the claimed/confirmed (dyno's I've seen posted on the other sites, albeit GTO/Vette LS2's) HP gains from a header install would lead you to believe that, so how much more freely would /could it flow if the exhaust isn't getting out of its own way to begin with? don't mean to be skeptical, just in my nature, when the majority says otherwise..

#21 ·
TonyGXP said:
a couple of us were already planning to go to Eng.Town this weekend (waiting since last month when they released their 06' schedule!) so I am sure we'll see you there, sounds like you're waisting no time seeking out another 9sec vehicle??:eek: .... I bet this is how the vette started out isn't it??

I am curious about one thing.. you say the stock muffler was straight through and only had some baffling inside, also the resonator, yet you claim a HP advantage? I personally will not do the exhaust until headers/highflow cats, Etc. have been fitted. (I understand you wanted a better sound) I just don't think you would gain even 5HP from what was done, which is why I am waiting for the whole exhaust... Truck has a hi-flow (for factory, anyway) muffler/resonator and 2.75" pipe into 3" already..so would you say this a sound only mod, or do you believe there really is a 5-10hp gain? these engines seemed to be more restricted up front (manifolds), at least the claimed/confirmed (dyno's I've seen posted on the other sites, albeit GTO/Vette LS2's) HP gains from a header install would lead you to believe that, so how much more freely would /could it flow if the exhaust isn't getting out of its own way to begin with? don't mean to be skeptical, just in my nature, when the majority says otherwise..
Tony , The main reason I changed the exhaust was the sound . The 5-10hp is just a estimate , unless it's tested on a dyno , and even they can vary at least that amount on each pull , GM did a good job with the stock exhaust , does the stock muffler flow as much as the Magnaflow , I can't say it does or doesn't , what I can say is throttle response is better , and it sounds a whole lot meaner :D , if you want to hear it before Saturday I may be in the Toms River area tonight , I'll PM you my cell# .
And yes , this is how the Vette started out . :yes: Talk to you later , Mike

#22 ·
STEALTH SS said:
Tony , The main reason I changed the exhaust was the sound . The 5-10hp is just a estimate , unless it's tested on a dyno , and even they can vary at least that amount on each pull , GM did a good job with the stock exhaust , does the stock muffler flow as much as the Magnaflow , I can't say it does or doesn't , what I can say is throttle response is better , and it sounds a whole lot meaner :D , if you want to hear it before Saturday I may be in the Toms River area tonight , I'll PM you my cell# .
And yes , this is how the Vette started out . :yes: Talk to you later , Mike
I tell you what, I gonna have a hard enough time convincing my wife the truck didn't get louder :)weird:) after a header install, don't know if I could make her think she's nuts Twice in a year!!! lol she does use the truck primarily and Happy wife, Happy life is how it goes I believe!!

#23 ·
TonyGXP said:
I tell you what, I gonna have a hard enough time convincing my wife the truck didn't get louder :)weird:) after a header install, don't know if I could make her think she's nuts Twice in a year!!! lol she does use the truck primarily and Happy wife, Happy life is how it goes I believe!!
See should have done what I did BOUGHT IT for myself!!! Can do whatever,whenever I want with it:laugh:

#26 ·
TonyGXP said:
I had my girlfriend in the truck today just cruising around and she actually liked the meaner sound , at first she said what did you do to your brand new truck , it's louder :D but after cruising around and romping on it for two hours she really liked the new sound , if your wife uses it everyday you may want to leave the resonator on it .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.